Your BEST family vacation experience?

with your TODDLER

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 doodle bug

doodle bug
  • 1000+
  • 2,632 posts
  • Interests:I'd be interested in getting some sleep...
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

Ok, I'm coming here to ask you wise parents about your experiences.

Our girls are 19 months old and the "fly for free" time period is going to be coming to and end soon! (Boo Hoo!)
I'm desperate for a vacation, and we havent really been on one as a family unit yet (that didnt include visiting family-and if your family is anything like mine, that's not always stress free)

I was thinking an all-inclusive beach holiday (probably Mexico) at a kid friendly resort, but I'm concerned ...
1. the sand will be too hot on their little feet (it was today and we're only in Vancouver!)
2. the ocean will pose a constant threat (no reading and sunbathing for me)
3. I will forget to put sun block some place and they will get a burn
4. we wont be able to really relax and do the things we want, like scuba dive

For those of you who have been on a beach vacation with toddlers (walking, running, falling toddlers) how was it? We were in Miami Beach when they were 4 months old, but they werent walking, so they just layed there on the blanket. No problem..just had to keep them in the shade. Today at the beach, the hot sand burned their feet or got into their shoes.. the ocean scared them and the shells (and other crap on the beach) that they picked up went straight into their mouths....((sigh))

Then we were thinking of renting a cottage (in Ontario) but I'm worried I'll get in BIG trouble if my mom and DH's grandma find out we were there and didn't visit..... And, really, is being at a lake front cottage for a few weeks with twin toddlers going to be mayhem? I'm afraid we'd end up wrecking the place.......bye bye damage deposit....

I'd love to go someplace relaxing, and natural (no shopping/cities/crowds). I am open to Euorpe, UK, North America or Mexico. I would love to go between late August and November... ...Ideally 3 weeks....??

Any ideas from you ladies???

I'd love to hear how others with toddlers have spent wonderful family vacations.

TTC since July 2008
July 2008 ectopic/surgery
Dec 2008 miscarriage
then BFN for 9 months....

2 medicated IUI -both BFN
IVF # 1 (flare protocol)
Cancelled (poor response)

IVF # 1 (2nd attempt)-microdose flare/estrogen priming
BFP!
Fraternal girls born Dec 2010

Dec-Natural BFP 
M/C at 8.5 wks

Dec-Natural BFP 

NT- all looks good

Baby girl born Aug 2013

#2 ValleyGirl

ValleyGirl
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,287 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

Why not get them a couple little pairs of those little water shoes? Also, my DH and I went to Cabo San Lucas Mexico in November and it was gorgeous (and safe!). Another beautiful (and less commercial option) is Caya Coco, Cuba. Bon voyage!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#3 KiwiGal

KiwiGal
  • Global 100+
  • 579 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Centre

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

My parents travelled with us constantly, even when we were babies! We went camping and did road trips every summer. It may not have been very relaxing for them, but we enjoyed it. What about renting an RV?
2005/06 - DH diagnosed with CF (mild form) & MFI
May 31, 2012 - DH appointment with urologist
June 5, 2012 - Consent signing for IVF w/ICSI
June 20, 2012 - DH TESE/PESA appointment
July 5, 2012 - F/U B/W to check thyroid level
August 15, 2012 - Appointment with nurse to learn injections
August 31, 2012 - Called in Day 1!
September 1, 2012 - Day 2 b/w; starting 125 IU Puregon tonight!
September 5, 2012 - Day 5 b/w and u/s - 4 lead follicles with 27 small on the right and 17 small on the left!
September 7, 2012 - Day 7 b/w and u/s - 19 follicles measuring on the chart w/ several small trying to catch up!
September 9, 2012 - Day 9 b/w and u/s - Almost there! Over 20 follicles measuring on the chart, but not over 16mm yet...
September 10, 2012 - Day 10 b/w and u/s - 6 follicles over 17mm; 20-ish measuring close behind. At risk for OHSS. :(TRIGGER tonight @ 10pm!!! Stopped injections & started Dostinex (for OHSS)
September 12, 2012 - 10am - ER! 25 eggs retrieved
September 13, 2012 - Fertilization report: 16 out of 25 eggs fertilized! Scheduled a Day 5 transfer. :)
September 17, 2012 - Transferred 1 very good quality (B3-BB) embryo!
September 25, 2012 - 8dp5dt - BFP on FRER!!!!
September 28, 2012 - Beta #1 - 314!!!!
October 1, 2012 - Beta #2 - 900!!
October 5, 2012 - U/S - Shows 1 gestational and yolk sac in the uterus. :) We're over the moon!
October 26, 2012 - U/S and follow up w/ Dr. Vause - 1 very healthy baby measuring 1 week ahead! HB 176. Graduated from the clinic today!
November 1, 2012 - 1st Midwife Appointment!!
November 23, 2012 - IPS U/S and B/W
December 6, 2012 - 2nd Midwife Appointment!
January 10, 2013 - Morphology Ultrasound
January 16, 2013 - 3rd Midwife Appointment

We are team GREEN!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#4 Janice_trying

Janice_trying
  • 1000+
  • 1,254 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Edmonton

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

My first DS had been on 5 major vacations before his second birthday (Mayan Riviera - 9 months, Mayan Riviera - 11 months (unfortunately we were at the hotel that exploded, thankfully none of us hurt, but turned us off Mexico), Oahu HI (16 months), cruise Canada/New England, NYC 19 months, Oahu HI 23 months. The first resort we stayed at in Mayan Riviera was awesome for kids (Sensatori Azul - if you want more info DM me). But I have to say we fell in love with Hawaii. Can be relaxing and just stay around beach/pool, but also had lots to see and do. We felt much safer there than Mexico (again we had a horrible experience with the explosion and saw how crisis and medical emergencies treated first hand). From an actual physical safety thing and medical thing we felt very comfortable in Hawaii. Lifeguards on the beaches (not all but we swam at ones that did), police / security felt reliable and helpful, driving around felt safer, medical care, emergency response good. DS loved all of the vacations.

We are going back to Hawaii in November and going to California in September to see SeaWorld, Disneyland, San Diego zoo etc. Will be our first vacation with both boys!
Me 33 & DH 33

TTC #1 April 2005 - April 2009
M/C Aug 2008
Feb 18/09 - left tube (hydrosalpinx) removed
IUI #1 April 2009- BFN
Miracles do happen!!!
OI with Gonal-F- April 2009 - IUI cancelled as lead follie on left ovary and no tube on that side. 2 small follies on right but won't catch up before ovulation.
Surprise BFP on cancelled cycle!! Somehow either a small follicle grew fast or tube caught egg from other side.
DS#1 born December 2009 (5 weeks early)

TTC #2 October 2010 - July 2011
IUI #1 - March 18, 2011 (puregon) -BFN
IUI #2 - June 1, 2011 (puregon) - BFN - Again have cysts from ovestimulation, can't cycle
IUI # 3 - July 19, 2011 (Puregon)- BFP! Hpt 14dpiui Aug 2, 2011. Beta #1 Aug 4, 2011= 317 (16dpiui). Beta # 2 Aug 8, 2011=2165 (20dpiui)
EDD April 10, 2012

DS #2 Born March 11, 2012

Our family is complete now.

Posted Image