Can a UTI cause an early miscarriage?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bugaboo

Bugaboo
  • 12 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

If a UTI goes unnoticed - and therefore untreated - in early prengnacy, could it in iteslf cause a miscarriage?

#2 Karolinasmommy

Karolinasmommy
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,088 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

I'm just going to jump in to add my two cents on what I have learned. I'm not sure if it can cause a miscarriage (first trimester loss) - and it may be hard for a RE to answer that as there is alot going on in the first trimester that could cause a miscarriage. I would say if a loss happens in the 1st trimester it is most likely a chromosomal issues. With that said, an untreated UTI can most definitely cause a 2nd or 3rd trimester loss.

I hope that helps:)

#3 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Global Moderators
  • 7,410 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

I had a first trimester loss and had an asymptomatic UTI. I was getting treatment from an Internal Medicine doctor who told me my loss a was likely triggered by the UTI.

That was an incredibly hard pill to swallow. She told me that proactively; I never would have made that connection on my own.

#4 Lisa1995

Lisa1995
  • 1000+
  • 1,416 posts
  • My Clinic:was Lifequest, now Markham

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

I was under the impression that a UTI had to be so bad as to spread to the kidneys and be quite painful before it would affect things...?

TTC #1: starting in Feb 2005 "unexplained" (immune issues, elevated NK cells, 2 heterozygous MTHFR and 2 heterozygous thrombophilias - Factor XIII and PAI-1 mutations)
me-42, DH-42, married since 1995!
Tried: Naturopath, Chinese herbs, Acupuncture, Homeopathy
4 un-medicated IUI's BFN
IVF # 1 18 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 8 out of 16 fertilized (1/2 ICSI, half IVF), 5 made it to day 5 blast, transferred two, froze 3
first ever BFP m/c
FET #1 medicated, transferred two, started spotting 2 days later, full blown AF 5 days later (decided I don't react well to Estrace, will do natural frozen next time) BFN
FET #2 natural (but still with progesterone (crinone) support, transferred last blast from IVF #1 BFN
IVF #2 16 eggs retrieved, decided not to do ICSI this time since cycle #1 showed eggs could fertilize on their own, only 3 fertilized! None made it to blast for transfer no transfer! Disaster!
IVF #3 decided to add some repronex to the stims and do all ICSI. 18 eggs, 17 mature and 15 fertilized, 8 made it to day 5 blast. Transferred two blasts, froze 6 BFN
FET#3 added 3 HCG booster shots and doubled up on the crinone to prevent me from spotting early (as I often do), transferred 2 blasts, no spotting but a BFN anyway
FET #4- added ovidral just before my natural ovulation so they could pin point it more accurately with the 36 hour window, HCG shots again, plus double crinone BFN
January 2009 Consult with new RE in Markham - he finds a small septum, resected April 29, 09 - tells me to now try my last two frozen blasts
FET #5 - ET scheduled for June 15 (natural cycle with trigger, HCG booster and crinone) - BFN
On to Plan B- Switch clinic to Markham for
#4 Fresh IVF with IVIg, exploring immune testing - start BCP Sept 20. ER around week of Oct. 25
9 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured. 7 to work with. 4 out of 7 fertilized (Day 3: 1 8 cell grade 1, 2 8 cell grade 2 and 1 morula). Day 5 transferred 1 great blast and 1 morula (1 morula and 1 10 cell did not make it to freezing).
Beta Nov. 11 - BFP! (550) I am in shock!
Issues with spotting, Nov 20, second beta 11,000 and early ultrasound: saw gestational sac and yolk sac in the right place but concern about a cyst or possible ectopic near my ovary as well, 4 more ultrasounds over a 10 day period, last ultrasound on Dec. 2 'cyst' has not grown and baby measuring on target at 7wks, 1day with a heart beat of 153bpm.
Now taking Lovenox due to 2 heterozygous thrombophilias
Ultrasound on Dec. 18 (9 weeks, 5 days) baby on track, hb 167
Ultrasound on Dec. 22 due to extra heavy spotting, baby still measuring on track, hb 167 and dancing
Ultrasound on Jan. 8 (12 weeks, 5 days) baby on track, hb 160, baby doing crunches!
18 week anatomy scan scheduled for Feb. 16 - they lost my blood work for the second part of the IPS so no results for that today (they took blood again) but the 18 week scan went great, baby looked awesome and even gave us a little wave in between sucking her thumb and inspecting her toes. Yes, I said "her" - it's a little girl!
20 week ultrasound at Mt. Sinai and they agree, so far so good.
IPS results are in and they are excellent!
EDD: July 19, 2010
Baby girl arrived at 39 weeks, 2 days! July 14, 2010 3:12 am, weighing 7 pounds even.
May 2013 - The IVF Journey continues...one last try to see if a sibling is in the cards...
Did LIT, IVIg, Lovenox and low dose aspirin. 5 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured, 3 to work with, 2 fertilized with ICSI.
June 5, day 3 transfer of 2 8 cell grade 2 embryos.BFN
April 2014, one very last try - natural IVF with intralipids this time, 2! dominant follicles, 2 mature eggs retrieved, both fertilize with ICSI, day 3 transfer scheduled for April 13, transferred 1 8-cell grade one and 1 6-cell grade one (also using Lovenox and low dose ASA) -BFN, we are really done, not sure if it is now my immune system, or old eggs now too.

#5 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Global Moderators
  • 7,410 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

Apparently not. The doctor offered an explanation but I was in a haze of sadness and shock.

#6 Lisa1995

Lisa1995
  • 1000+
  • 1,416 posts
  • My Clinic:was Lifequest, now Markham

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

My urine was group B strep positive all through pregnancy which is a type of bacteria they don't like you to have during birth (I never needed the bum swab later on as they already knew my body was populated with it). I was on anitbiotics 4 or 5 times while pregnant and it would just keep coming back whenever they re-checked my urine (it would be gone right when I finished the antibiotics but then come back again after a few weeks). Closer to my due date they stopped bothering with antibiotics altogether and told me I would just for sure have to have them while in labour to prevent passing it on to the baby.

I had not heard that experience of yours before GG, sorry that happened to you, I wonder how the Dr could be so sure that your UTI caused it?

TTC #1: starting in Feb 2005 "unexplained" (immune issues, elevated NK cells, 2 heterozygous MTHFR and 2 heterozygous thrombophilias - Factor XIII and PAI-1 mutations)
me-42, DH-42, married since 1995!
Tried: Naturopath, Chinese herbs, Acupuncture, Homeopathy
4 un-medicated IUI's BFN
IVF # 1 18 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 8 out of 16 fertilized (1/2 ICSI, half IVF), 5 made it to day 5 blast, transferred two, froze 3
first ever BFP m/c
FET #1 medicated, transferred two, started spotting 2 days later, full blown AF 5 days later (decided I don't react well to Estrace, will do natural frozen next time) BFN
FET #2 natural (but still with progesterone (crinone) support, transferred last blast from IVF #1 BFN
IVF #2 16 eggs retrieved, decided not to do ICSI this time since cycle #1 showed eggs could fertilize on their own, only 3 fertilized! None made it to blast for transfer no transfer! Disaster!
IVF #3 decided to add some repronex to the stims and do all ICSI. 18 eggs, 17 mature and 15 fertilized, 8 made it to day 5 blast. Transferred two blasts, froze 6 BFN
FET#3 added 3 HCG booster shots and doubled up on the crinone to prevent me from spotting early (as I often do), transferred 2 blasts, no spotting but a BFN anyway
FET #4- added ovidral just before my natural ovulation so they could pin point it more accurately with the 36 hour window, HCG shots again, plus double crinone BFN
January 2009 Consult with new RE in Markham - he finds a small septum, resected April 29, 09 - tells me to now try my last two frozen blasts
FET #5 - ET scheduled for June 15 (natural cycle with trigger, HCG booster and crinone) - BFN
On to Plan B- Switch clinic to Markham for
#4 Fresh IVF with IVIg, exploring immune testing - start BCP Sept 20. ER around week of Oct. 25
9 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured. 7 to work with. 4 out of 7 fertilized (Day 3: 1 8 cell grade 1, 2 8 cell grade 2 and 1 morula). Day 5 transferred 1 great blast and 1 morula (1 morula and 1 10 cell did not make it to freezing).
Beta Nov. 11 - BFP! (550) I am in shock!
Issues with spotting, Nov 20, second beta 11,000 and early ultrasound: saw gestational sac and yolk sac in the right place but concern about a cyst or possible ectopic near my ovary as well, 4 more ultrasounds over a 10 day period, last ultrasound on Dec. 2 'cyst' has not grown and baby measuring on target at 7wks, 1day with a heart beat of 153bpm.
Now taking Lovenox due to 2 heterozygous thrombophilias
Ultrasound on Dec. 18 (9 weeks, 5 days) baby on track, hb 167
Ultrasound on Dec. 22 due to extra heavy spotting, baby still measuring on track, hb 167 and dancing
Ultrasound on Jan. 8 (12 weeks, 5 days) baby on track, hb 160, baby doing crunches!
18 week anatomy scan scheduled for Feb. 16 - they lost my blood work for the second part of the IPS so no results for that today (they took blood again) but the 18 week scan went great, baby looked awesome and even gave us a little wave in between sucking her thumb and inspecting her toes. Yes, I said "her" - it's a little girl!
20 week ultrasound at Mt. Sinai and they agree, so far so good.
IPS results are in and they are excellent!
EDD: July 19, 2010
Baby girl arrived at 39 weeks, 2 days! July 14, 2010 3:12 am, weighing 7 pounds even.
May 2013 - The IVF Journey continues...one last try to see if a sibling is in the cards...
Did LIT, IVIg, Lovenox and low dose aspirin. 5 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured, 3 to work with, 2 fertilized with ICSI.
June 5, day 3 transfer of 2 8 cell grade 2 embryos.BFN
April 2014, one very last try - natural IVF with intralipids this time, 2! dominant follicles, 2 mature eggs retrieved, both fertilize with ICSI, day 3 transfer scheduled for April 13, transferred 1 8-cell grade one and 1 6-cell grade one (also using Lovenox and low dose ASA) -BFN, we are really done, not sure if it is now my immune system, or old eggs now too.

#7 Maralee

Maralee
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,259 posts
  • My Clinic:Foothills, Now Victoria

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

I know there is a link between leukocytes in urine and miscarriage, but not sure what exactly it is. Leuks are often present with uti's.
Me 30, 31, 32 Hubs 35, 36, 37

See about me for past history
IVF 2
Jan 2013-awaiting consult at VFC...
Feb 2013-Consult a success, off to victoria we go!  Looking at April.  Meanwhile, started gluten/dairy reduced diet with a ton of supplements.  Feeling great!
Day 1...Mar13/13
LH surge Mar 24 Start estrace Mar 27
Day 1, April 8
Fly to VFC April 9-u/s and blood work-all OK
April 10-start stims Gonal 225, saizen 1.66mg, repronex 75
April 15-u/s and bw, all good, 6 follies, all same size, continue and next u/s and bw apr 17
April 17-u/s and bw-all good, 7 follies, similar size, continue and next u/s apr 18.  ER on april 20 or 21
April 18-bw good, u/s now 10 follies but starting to separate in size.  Back tomorrow, ER april 21/22?
April 19-bw good, 1/2 of follies ready...trigger tonight, ER on April 21
April 21-9 retrieved.  Awaiting fertilization reports... fingers crossed!
April 22-Amazing news, 8 out of 9 are mature and all 8 fertilize, 1/2 by ICSI, 1/2 by regular.  How could that happen?
April 23-All 8 still going, mix of 15-19/20
April 24-6 still going, 2 transferred-an 19/20 and 18/20, 2 frozen a 18/20, 17/20, and 2 in culture to day 5-wait and see
May 8-OMG, positive beta!!  517, wow! 14dp3dt
May 10-beta 1060.  Yay!!
May 27-viability u/s...both took, it's twins!  Heartbeats around 140, 1 measures a couple days behind.  CRAZY!
June 16-10 wk u/s, both still growing, hb's 172 and 165. 
July 2-Nuchal-excellent.  Fell in love with them.  hb's 168 and 160, both measure a couple days ahead now.
Aug 16- 18 week detailed, both are amazing.  Team green! Cord insertion issue with baby A discovered.
Oct 10-27wk 4 day, A is 2 lbs, B is 2.2 lbs...may have seen a penis and sac on one of them.
Nov 7-30wk 4 day, A is 3lbs 13 oz, B is 4lbs 2 oz, this is going to hurt.
Nov 21-32wk 4 day, A is 4lbs, B is 4 lbs 8 oz, starting to slow down a bit, and both head down.
Dec 4-34 wk 3 day, A is 5 lbs 2 oz, B is 5 lbs 5 oz, A head down and engaged, B now breech.

Dec 17-after falling down the stairs, our baby boy and girl arrived at 36 weeks, small but healthy
Welcome Abigael and Colin.

Fr3Am7.png

#8 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Global Moderators
  • 7,410 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

I had not heard that experience of yours before GG, sorry that happened to you, I wonder how the Dr could be so sure that your UTI caused it?

I had talked about it on the site at the time. I was at a different clinic then and also under the care of a urologist for investigative treatment/assesment in the months following the m/c. Both offered that as the likely cause for the m/c. This was in 2009.

#9 Karolinasmommy

Karolinasmommy
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

From what I have learned so far, being GBS Strep B positive should be monitored and treated as the patient being treated as heavily colonized.

UTIs are caused by many bacterias and they usually return even with treatment...so that is why if you know you have one, you should be checked regularly by a doctor and get it treated.

UTIs may or may not always affect the bladder or kidneys, as in an infection that turns severe. I think those who are prone to certain bacterias will always have them around. These bacterias usually start in the gut and spread when you need to void...so its not a case of being dirty or not caring for yourself.

As for the 1st trimester losses...I'd really like to see what Dr.Liu says about the losses and if it would be caused by UTIs.

#10 Bugaboo

Bugaboo
  • 12 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:13 AM

Wow it's really interesting to hear everyones take on this.

I found out I had a UTI about a week or so after I miscarried and I always wonder if it could be to blame. I had no symptoms so I don't know if it began before/during/after my pregnancy. My betas were sky high and everything seemed so great, until the spotting started at 6 weeks. Even through the first couple days of spotting my betas still shot up so we thought it was just "safe" spotting. No such luck. In retrospect, I wonder if the nurses should have asked for a urine sample when I first reported the spotting.

I'm so curious to hear what Dr. Liu thinks about UTIs and 1st trimerster loss. And to tack onto that, how early should pregnant women start getting urinanalysis done?

#11 Karolinasmommy

Karolinasmommy
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

Bugaboo - to be honest, I've asked my former OB this and my current OB as well.

I think if a woman has suffered a second trimester loss and the most likely reason for the loss is infection then they will treat you high risk and started testing/treating as early as 8 weeks.

For miscarriages, I don't quite know if they would bother testing you unless you pushed for it or said you had symptoms. That is just my take though, I could be very wrong.

When it comes to UTIs and pregnancy, I think I am on the side that says be proactive and work with a doctor who is willing to work with you.
I went in at 14 weeks with signs of a UTI and my doctor wrote me off....20 weeks my water broke and I was in labour due to infection. Do I want to go back and ask that family doctor why they didn't take me more serious? You bet, but I took it as a sign to move on and find a doctor who will listen and I did just that.

I hope this helps. I know how frustrating it can be to have a loss and not have an reason why. I think unless you have a few miscarriages a doctor won't come out and say what could be the cause because in the first trimester there is a lot going on.

My high risk OB said to me, if you have been colonized with one bacteria (or many), it is safe to say those bacterias were present before your pregnancy - so in the question of what came first - probably the UTI.