• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bud

Bud
  • News Bot
  • 2,875 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

Experts estimate that around now, approximately 5 million babies have been born as a result of assisted reproduction technologies - namely IVF and ICSF. The first test tube baby was born in July 1978, in England, her name was Louise Brown. These data were presented yesterday at the 28th Meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE), Istanbul, Turkey... View the full article
  • gibasgirl likes this

#2 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Global Moderators
  • 8,013 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

Five million. I think this is wonderful. Beautiful. 5 million fewer empty arms. What is the love magnitude? Immeasureable for sure.
  • leigh14, Mollybean, sharlene and 4 others like this

#3 frostedlemon

frostedlemon
  • 1000+
  • 1,389 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Clinic

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

5 million fewer empty arms.

Your whole comment resonated with me, but this part in particular brought tears to my eyes.

(10 million if you count both arms. And 20 million if you count partners. And so many more if you count grandparents and others....)
  • leigh14, gibasgirl, sharlene and 2 others like this

#4 leigh14

leigh14
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,449 posts
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

This is wonderful and is a mind-blowing number! Not too long ago I had a baby shower as I am pregnant after our third IVF and one of the attendees wrote in her card that she was an IVF baby and how my story had touched her. I was the one who was touched and it suddenly dawned on me that many babies born through ART are no longer babies--they are adults walking amongst us. :)

Leigh
  • gibasgirl likes this
Me: 40
Dx: DH: Vasectomy; need IVF/ICSI ME: D.O.R. and many immunological issues. (Initially presented as "normal" but issues were only discovered after IVF attempt #2 and #3 after testing at new clinic)
IVF attempt #1 Nov.2009, Age 37: Long "Lupron" protocol
Dec.2009: Cycle cancelled due to oversuppression
IVF attempt #2, Age 38: April 2010: 3 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 2 fertilized, ET of 2 embryos BFN
IVF atempt #3 at new clinic: November 2010, Age 38: 5 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 4 fertilized, ET of 2 blastocysts BFP
Strong beta numbers but babies not measuring on track but one heartbeat is present. Followup u/s reveals no HB's :( Had D&C--so sad.
Moved to new clinic closer to home + more of a focus on testing for potential immunological factors:
Further testing reveals three mutations related to inherited thrombophilia (2 MTHFR mutations and PA1-1 mutation), positive ANA, elevated NK cells and cytokines and low levels of leukocyte antibodies (LADS), Recommended Immunological treatment: Humira, LIT, IVig and blood thinners if PG
IVF Protocol: Low stim for me/ TESE needed for DH; took Humira in late August and early September; taking DHEA plus Co-Enzyme Q10, vitamins for DH just for good measure! September--two trips to Mexico for LIT treatment, treatments 3 weeks apart
Initial re-testing through Alan Beer Centre after some of the immune treatments reveals only cytokines were lowered, NKs still high and LAD numbers still low. Another LIT in Mexico is recommended. We decide to begin cycle on doctor's recommendation of just doing IVIG.
IVF#4, Age 39 : November 2011: Worst AFC EVER--a whopping 4! Three follicles responded, two eggs were retrieved. Three day transfer of two Grade 1 8 cell embryos: "Fahita" & "Burrito" Stick, stick, stick little ones!
BFP! Beta of 569
Viability u/s at 6 w 2d shows TWO babies measuring on track with heartbeats of 121. Looks like babies might be sharing the same amniotic sac.
Second u/s at 7w 2 d shows ONE baby with hb of 150, measuring 7 w 3 days. No sign of twin. Vanishing twin syndrome?
Third u/s at 8 w 2d shows ONE baby with hb of 170, measuring 8 w 3 days. Looks like a little jellybean!
12 week u/s at 12 w 2 days and baby is measuring 12 w 5 days with a heart beat of 150. Baby mooned us and waved at us with one hand....looked like a "royal" wave to me!
13 week doctor's appointment, HB=155 on doppler
14 week u/s to check cervix, HB=148
16 week u/s to check cervix, HB=138, baby had hiccups!
20 week u/s--everything looks good! HB=130, looks like we're having a GIRL!
IPS results very good!
39 weeks: Our baby girl arrived!!! She is healthy and beautiful! We are so happy! :)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

#5 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Global Moderators
  • 8,013 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

Your whole comment resonated with me, but this part in particular brought tears to my eyes.

(10 million if you count both arms. And 20 million if you count partners. And so many more if you count grandparents and others....)

And you in turn touched me, FL. You put some of my thoughts into words. That's pretty amazing to think about.
  • sharlene likes this

#6 Yearning

Yearning
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,370 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

You ladies brought tears of joy to my eyes...so very beautifully put.
  • gibasgirl likes this

#7 lexi

lexi
  • 1000+
  • 1,091 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility Clinic

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

Gibsagirl - That was beautiful! You really summed it up.
  • gibasgirl likes this

Trying to conceive since 2007.

Me: 39 Husband: 38

IUI's completed - 13

IUI's cancelled - 3

Miscarriages from IUI's - 5 8388.gif 8388.gif 8388.gif 8388.gif8388.gif

Surgeries to remove Polyps - 4

You are my angels, my darlings, my stars...and my love will find you, wherever you are.