- - - - -

First Solid Foods

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 silverdollar

silverdollar
  • Cyclebase
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor sports and activities of all types.
    Kids, sewing, photography, cooking, growing stuff in my garden.
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

My daughter is almost old enough to start eating :) She loves her highchair and copies our chewing movements, and will bring an empty cup of spoon to her mouth. We're just waiting for that magic 6 month mark. So, the recommendations are now different than ever before and suggest starting with high iron foods. I picked up some infant cereal with iron, but they also suggest meat. They also say its not necessary to purée anything. She has no teeth. How do I prepare the meat so she can safely eat it? Is shredding it enough? What are some other good first foods?

Unexplained IF/ DOR. Began TTC in 2008.
After a wild and crazy ride on the treatment train, our baby GIRL arrived on Jan 6, 2012
Hold on.... Surprise spontaneous just 7 months postpartum while still breastfeeding!!! Baby boy born May 2, 2013
My heart couldn't be more full :)

Full details are now in my profile "About Me" page

#2 DesignerBug

DesignerBug
  • 1000+
  • 2,645 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:ONE

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

we did yams and avocados to start if memory serves. I had a mental block with anything that was "fortified". But eased into it down the road.
TTC#1 April 2003 - Jan 2009
9 IUIs, 12 months Fermara, 4 months Clomid, 5 rounds of injectable, 1 LAP, 1 HSG, 2 Uterine Biopsies, 1 Postcoital, 1 IVF, 2 FETs... 2nd Fesh Cycle IVF - ++Beta 110!

TTC#2 - Dreams coming true... Surprise BFP Au Naturel! Never really started trying, but never gave up hope on dreams coming true. 20w2, after 6 days of strict bedrest, we lost our baby boy, Emmett to my incompetent cervix and he was born sleeping. 24cm long, 0.67lbs he was the most perfect little angel and has brought with him many lessons for us to remember him by.

Lightening strikes twice apparently>>>> May 24 ++HPT, Followed by ++Beta. Numbers are low, but doubling. EDD Feb1/2013

#3 SandraDee

SandraDee
  • Cyclebase
  • 681 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

They say purees are no longer necessary? That's interesting. My DS loved purees but my DD wouldn't touch them - we did more a "baby led weaning" approach with her going straight to finger foods at about 7 months. I remember that one of her first meals was steamed broccoli -- She'd hold onto the stem and gum off the green tops -- my MIL was always horrified that she'd choke but she never did. She'd gag now and then but I've read that's just a normal part of learning to deal with new food textures.

My DS had problems with constipation when we started with cereal so we introduced fruit earlier than we'd planned (pears and then prunes) and that cleared things up. Other favorite first foods were pureed peas, sweet potatoes and mashed kidney beans (another iron source). We did avacodos too - they are a great baby food, they mash up really smooth and are a good source of vitamins and healthy fat.

I found that boneless chicken thighs were a good first meat - mild tasting and higher in iron than white meat. I puree'd them in the blender at first but by 7 or 8 months I would just mince them up -- the twins seemed to enjoy that texture better. (Warning: All commercially prepared baby food meats are disgusting -- they look and smell like catfood Posted Image . You really have to make your own. I found most of the babyfood fruits and veggies were pretty yummy though.)

Good luck with the transition!
Me: 38 DH: 38
TTC: started at age 29. MF and Endometriosis
IVF #1: BFP! Twins!

Posted Image
FET #1: BFP but M/C at 6.5 weeks
FET #2: BFN
IVF #2: ER: 15 retrieved, 12 mature and 11 fertilized/ ET: 1 beautiful 1AB blast and 2 grade 3 morulas. Nothing to freeze.
BFP!!
It's twins again!

Posted Image

My regular blog (Children mentioned)

#4 sharlene

sharlene
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,696 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:USA

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

I have to agree that most of the baby foods (I only tried a couple cause someone gave them to me) - are gross! I mostly made my own baby food - and when I gave my son the chicken baby food, he threw it back up. He barely tasted the jarred peas and made a terrible face. The butternut squash was disgusting.
Honestly, it's pretty easy to make your own stuff - and why would anyone buy jarred bananas? I couldn't figure that out - I mean they don't need refrigeration or even pureeing - you peel and mash a bit - it couldn't get easier, yet they sell it in a jar, too.

Anyway - we made butternut squash - I pureed it because I love the consistency of it when pureed - I also like to add cinnamon.

While pureeing isn't necessary, I really liked the texture of cooked fruits and veggies when pureed. Their gums can be sensitive when they're cutting teeth, too, so I thought it made it a little easier.

Bananas are a great first food, as it avocado. Their iron stores don't disappear overnight when they hit 6 months, they just start getting lower - as I was exclusively breastfeeding, I worried - so we had his iron checked at maybe 8 months and it was fine and I did not push meats at all (I am not much of a meat eater so it was minimal) - but I did go for beans and they were a hit for a while - easy to mash up or puree.

Each baby develops his/her own tastes and likes and dislikes - lots of experimenting - and just because they like it one day (or dislike it), doesn't mean it won't change the next day.

And if all else fails, the fortified cereals do work in terms of getting iron and such into them - but I mixed them with fresh fruits and veggies that I made - I still put some baby oatmeal in fruit that I've cooked for my 18 month old and he enjoys it - it tastes like a cobbler actually!

Good luck!

One more thought - I also got the baby feeder things and they were fun for a while - they're little mesh bags with a handle - great for preventing choking and they seem to really enjoy it - used it for banana, avocado, mango, peaches, pears - brocoli wasn't a hit at all.
  • SandraDee likes this

#5 frostedlemon

frostedlemon
  • 1000+
  • 1,290 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Clinic

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

They've changed the recommendations even since my guy was born and he's only not-even-10 months.

I skipped the fortified cereals altogether and just went with high-iron veggies and stuff and I make him steelcut oatmeal, which has iron in a more accessible form. I usually mix it with fruit that has vitamin C in it to help even more with absorption. There's lots of various research out there, so you may make a different decision, but I skipped the rice cereal in particular because it can cause constipation (something my exclusively breastfed boy never had issues with and I figured solid poop would feel weird enough without having problems passing it) and because while it contains lots of iron, it's not always in an easily accessible format so they don't actually get as much from it as it says.

For meat - I've only given him pureed because while he's getting better at food with textures, he's still not very good at them or fully chewing them before swallowing, which causes some gagging and after a few times of that we stop and move onto something else until later - he gets tired of it and I'm tired of having heart attacks :P I find that he improves with each exposure so I just do it in small amounts until he's able to handle it well. He has 12 teeth, including his first set of molars. There is absolutely no way he would have been able to handle it as a first food in a non-pureed form. Obviously your mileage may vary.

I consult this website for ideas and advice about cooking my own baby food: http://www.homemade-....com/index.html Sometimes I read it and then do my own thing anyway or use it as a guideline, but I find it decent. I think there are some ideas for meat, such as cooking it in apple sauce to make sure it's soft and tasty.
  • SandraDee likes this

Me - 34, Him - 38
See About Me for full history.
Long story short: Trying without success for four years, two m/cs, several medicated cycles including two IUIs, and too many BFNs to count.

Dec 2010 Surprise natural BFP!
All betas and ultrasounds look great.
March 25 - 18 week u/s. Everything looks perfect. It's a boy!
He arrived on Sunday, August 21, 2011. I can't believe he's ours! So grateful.

We would like a second but it will have to happen naturally. Period returned July 2012.

Nov 2013 - BFP, but faint and bleeding a few days later. Beta 23 and then down to non-pregnant levels. Things are back to "normal", apparently.

Visit my blog at: http://frostedlemonc....wordpress.com/

#6 sharlene

sharlene
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

They've changed the recommendations even since my guy was born and he's only not-even-10 months. I skipped the fortified cereals altogether and just went with high-iron veggies and stuff and I make him steelcut oatmeal, which has iron in a more accessible form. I usually mix it with fruit that has vitamin C in it to help even more with absorption. There's lots of various research out there, so you may make a different decision, but I skipped the rice cereal in particular because it can cause constipation (something my exclusively breastfed boy never had issues with and I figured solid poop would feel weird enough without having problems passing it) and because while it contains lots of iron, it's not always in an easily accessible format so they don't actually get as much from it as it says. For meat - I've only given him pureed because while he's getting better at food with textures, he's still not very good at them or fully chewing them before swallowing, which causes some gagging and after a few times of that we stop and move onto something else until later - he gets tired of it and I'm tired of having heart attacks :P I find that he improves with each exposure so I just do it in small amounts until he's able to handle it well. He has 12 teeth, including his first set of molars. There is absolutely no way he would have been able to handle it as a first food in a non-pureed form. Obviously your mileage may vary. I consult this website for ideas and advice about cooking my own baby food: http://www.homemade-....com/index.html Sometimes I read it and then do my own thing anyway or use it as a guideline, but I find it decent. I think there are some ideas for meat, such as cooking it in apple sauce to make sure it's soft and tasty.

Nice site (link), FL! Thanks - going to have to try some of those recipes!

#7 Maralee

Maralee
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,259 posts
  • My Clinic:Foothills, Now Victoria

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

We got a food grinder, although we didn't get it until about 9 months old or so, but I wish we got it sooner! The doctor I worked for said that was all she ever did for her kids, and they ate a wide variety of ethnic foods. We added seasoning/spice to lots of foods for DS as well, and at 2.5 yrs old, he's just ate a meal of butter chicken. DS hated the cereals, so our Dr. put him on an iron supplement for a few months. Agree to what others are saying about jarred food. Took DH to walmart and showed him the "breakfast of egg, ham, and cheese" in a jar. He quickly got the hang of making food. And the guide I got from the health nurse said pureed for about a month, then go to soft chunky. Really, until about 9 months old, they're just supposed to be getting the hang of moving their tongue around to shift food, not so much for nutritional supplements. Get ready for the stinkiest poop imaginable after 6 months of breastfeeding!
Me 30, 31, 32 Hubs 35, 36, 37

See about me for past history
IVF 2
Jan 2013-awaiting consult at VFC...
Feb 2013-Consult a success, off to victoria we go!  Looking at April.  Meanwhile, started gluten/dairy reduced diet with a ton of supplements.  Feeling great!
Day 1...Mar13/13
LH surge Mar 24 Start estrace Mar 27
Day 1, April 8
Fly to VFC April 9-u/s and blood work-all OK
April 10-start stims Gonal 225, saizen 1.66mg, repronex 75
April 15-u/s and bw, all good, 6 follies, all same size, continue and next u/s and bw apr 17
April 17-u/s and bw-all good, 7 follies, similar size, continue and next u/s apr 18.  ER on april 20 or 21
April 18-bw good, u/s now 10 follies but starting to separate in size.  Back tomorrow, ER april 21/22?
April 19-bw good, 1/2 of follies ready...trigger tonight, ER on April 21
April 21-9 retrieved.  Awaiting fertilization reports... fingers crossed!
April 22-Amazing news, 8 out of 9 are mature and all 8 fertilize, 1/2 by ICSI, 1/2 by regular.  How could that happen?
April 23-All 8 still going, mix of 15-19/20
April 24-6 still going, 2 transferred-an 19/20 and 18/20, 2 frozen a 18/20, 17/20, and 2 in culture to day 5-wait and see
May 8-OMG, positive beta!!  517, wow! 14dp3dt
May 10-beta 1060.  Yay!!
May 27-viability u/s...both took, it's twins!  Heartbeats around 140, 1 measures a couple days behind.  CRAZY!
June 16-10 wk u/s, both still growing, hb's 172 and 165. 
July 2-Nuchal-excellent.  Fell in love with them.  hb's 168 and 160, both measure a couple days ahead now.
Aug 16- 18 week detailed, both are amazing.  Team green! Cord insertion issue with baby A discovered.
Oct 10-27wk 4 day, A is 2 lbs, B is 2.2 lbs...may have seen a penis and sac on one of them.
Nov 7-30wk 4 day, A is 3lbs 13 oz, B is 4lbs 2 oz, this is going to hurt.
Nov 21-32wk 4 day, A is 4lbs, B is 4 lbs 8 oz, starting to slow down a bit, and both head down.
Dec 4-34 wk 3 day, A is 5 lbs 2 oz, B is 5 lbs 5 oz, A head down and engaged, B now breech.

Dec 17-after falling down the stairs, our baby boy and girl arrived at 36 weeks, small but healthy
Welcome Abigael and Colin.

Fr3Am7.png

#8 silverdollar

silverdollar
  • Cyclebase
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

Thanks!
I had a brief look at that site and have bookmarked it to go back to.
Yes, we have no intention of buying any of those jarred foods. I'll try pureeing the meats to start with. We're cooking a whole chicken and pot roast this week with family visiting so I'll set a little of that aside to experiment with.
I may try mixing a bit of breastmillk with the cereal to start with. We've also got a garden full of yummy veggies growing outside that will be ripe at about the time she's ready for them.

After a wild and crazy ride on the treatment train, our baby GIRL arrived on Jan 6, 2012
Hold on.... Surprise spontaneous just 7 months postpartum while still breastfeeding!!! Baby boy born May 2, 2013

#9 SandraDee

SandraDee
  • Cyclebase
  • 681 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:38 PM

I didn't find the store bought stuff to be inherently evil. We'd buy the Presidents Choice Organics brand occasionally and I thought some of the single fruits and veggies were quite tasty -- and they have no additives just fruit and water or veggies and water. They were handy to carry in the diaper bag for snacks etc. Of course with twins, I guess the convenience factor was more of a selling point for me. I agree that any of the "meals" that combined several ingredients were disgusting though. By that point, a foodmill is totally the way to go, you can get a small one to take with you to restaurants and just grind up a little of your meal for them.

I like the idea of the steel cut oats, I'm going to try that next time.
Me: 38 DH: 38
TTC: started at age 29. MF and Endometriosis
IVF #1: BFP! Twins!

Posted Image
FET #1: BFP but M/C at 6.5 weeks
FET #2: BFN
IVF #2: ER: 15 retrieved, 12 mature and 11 fertilized/ ET: 1 beautiful 1AB blast and 2 grade 3 morulas. Nothing to freeze.
BFP!!
It's twins again!

Posted Image

My regular blog (Children mentioned)

#10 BabyVibez

BabyVibez
  • Global 100+
  • 878 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

We went with the Baby Led Weaning method. I never fed cereals, fortified anything. I never pureed anything, nor fed him from a spoon. Every morsel of food he has ever eaten, he put in his mouth himself. He's alive and well!!

http://babywxg.blogs...ing-to-eat.html

I have found, compared to the 50 moms in my local moms group (insane right?!) that I seem to have the 'best' eater, who is the least picky and most happy with meal times. That said - he is probebly the messiest - becasue he absolutely LOVES his food. But - that is what water and washcloths are for! Absolutley no stress about meal times in our home - ever. Love it.

I can answer lots of questions if you have them, but the book in my blog post was perfect and full of all the info you need!

Best of luck!
Dx: Me PCOS, DH Azoospermia TTC since 2003 1st ATTEMPT: CRC Feb 28/09 - ER & MicroTESE: 31 eggs retreived Next day - 21 eggs were mature & Donor ICSI'd - 17 fertilized!! March 5/09 - ET: 1 grade 4AA blast...7dp5dt AF arrived and brought with her OHSS BETA:BFN 2nd ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility August 15/09 - FET: 1x 4AA Blast BETA:BFN 3rd ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility Sept 18/09 - FET: Assisted Hatching on 1 Morula & 1 8cell compacting. BETA:BFN 4th ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility March 10 2010 - FET 2 blasts BETA:BFN 5th ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility April: 4 Serial Endometrial Biopsys. May 31 FET 2 Blast 4AB & 2CC. Beta: 11dpt = 65, 13dpt = 194, 15dpt = 613, 19dpt = 2512, 21dpt=4377 U/S June 29 - Measuing 6w2d heart rate 126 bpm U/S July 12 - Measuring 8w4d heart rate 172 bpm U/S July 27 - Measuring 9w4d heart rate 176 bpm U/S September 29 - Measuring 20w1d 145bpm WE HAD A BOY! 6th ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility Oct 14 2012 - CD1 CD6 - in-cycle biopsy (to increase lining 'stickiness') CD10 - lining check 14mm Oct 29 - FET 1 2CC blast BFN May 2013 - FET cancelled at CD10 for polyp. Sono after AF revealed polyp gone. 7th ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility Aug 1 2013 - FET AH on 1 morula and 1 7cell grade 4A embryo (lost 2 others in the thaw) 1 Frosty Left!

#11 Ope

Ope
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,138 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility for now

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

Although , I made mostly my own baby food, but I think store bought baby food are fine, but read the labels! Many contains sugar,salt and what not. I always bought organic, and I am with Sandra , I think the single fruit ones actually taste yummy ( As they do not have anything else just fruit and ascorbic acid, there is no reason them to taste anything else)
I always kept a few jars of organic prune at home for constipations , and a few others for variety. Depending on your climate not all fruits and veggies are available in all season.

Also do not forget that every child is different. Some moves on from the purée stage rather quicky, others not so much.My son had issues, and I had to puree foor for a loooooong time. I remember that by his 1st birthday he was using spoon and was able to feed himself , but only puréed food. He was around 17 months when he started to eat finger food.

Plus at times, for example on vacation, they are rather convenient. Maybe I am a bad mom, but I decided not to take my blender, by baby food containers, pots and pans for cooking and what not for our family vacation. We went for vacation twice during the purée times, and both times my son ate store bought food for a whole week. I bet there was even banana , lol
  • SandraDee likes this
right now me : 37 Dh:40

TTC #1: natural TTC 1.5 yrs
Dh: 35, Severe Male factor infertility, morphology is 1-2%
Me: 32 , tubes open, no endo, regular ovulation, all hormones are good, 3rd day FSH 5.3 , antral follicle count is 12, only problem is my weight BMI: 30

IVF/ ICSI #1: 2008 February -McGill, Montreal
Long protocol: BCP for 1 month, burselin from CD21, 300 Gonal F and 150 Luveris for 10 days
ER: 11 egg , 6 mature , 5 fertilized, 3rd day transfer:a 7 cell & an 8 cell embyos, no frosties.
1st beta : 13dp3dt: 77, BFP
2008,November 19th: Adam has arrived 7 lb 4 oz, 21"

TTC #2: natural TTC 1.5 yr
Dh :39 morphology went up to 4%, we meet the IUI cutoff! count are fluctuating from 30 to 105 million, motility is great. Caryotyping is normal
Me: 36 FSH is slightly elevated and keep rising 8.5, 8.8, 8.9, 9.8 , AFC is still 12, everything else looks good.

IUI #1: Edmonton, 2011 January ,Clomid 50mg (x5), 106 mil ,68% motile, grade 4 :BFN
IUI #2: Edmonton, 2011 February, Clomid 50mg (x5), 30 mil, 57% motile, grade 3: BFN
IUI #3: Edmonton, 2011 March, Clomid 50mg (x5), 88 mil , 49% motile, grade 4: BFN
IVF#2: 2011 May, Edmonton: long protocol , nasal suprefact : CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
IVF#3: 2011 August, Edmonton: short protocol/natural start: CANCELLED due to high progesterone
IVF#4: 2001 September, Edmonton: short protocol with BCP: CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
Change clinic

IVF #5: 2012 March-April Hungary: stimulation starts march 28, 300 Menopur
mixed protocol: BCP for months, CD3: Menopur 300& lupron for 8 days
ER : April 8th , 4 eggs retrieved, all were mature and fertilized with ICSI and AH
ET : April 11th, 1 A quality 8 cell, and 1 A quality 4 cell embryo transferred, no frosties.
BFP on the HPT at 7dp3dt: happy 37th birthday to me :D
Beta: , 12dp3dt: 150, 2nd Beta, 15dp3dt: 550
Anna has arrived on 21st December after being induced at 39 week. She is 6 lb 9 oz, 20" , and has blue eyes, and long dark brown hair and just perfect !

#12 doodle bug

doodle bug
  • 1000+
  • 2,604 posts
  • Interests:I'd be interested in getting some sleep...

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:52 AM

Hey SD
For us avacado, banana, yams, and butternut squash were first foods that were popular. I pureed/mashed but only for maybe a few weeks..... I tried to puree meat- but it always tasted gross and was never recieved well. Yogurt was popular, and we ate a lot of boiled egg whites. (i guess thats a no-no???- WHOOPS!) ...but my kids loooove them still. We were late teethers over here...so lots of over steamed cauliflower and broccoli- they love those.
Finger foods are great too....we did A LOT...., but it is nice to have some nice warm oatmeal sometimes.... Posted Image
I can't belive Anika is already 6 months old. Get your butt over here so we can play!!! Posted Image

TTC since July 2008
July 2008 ectopic/surgery
Dec 2008 miscarriage
then BFN for 9 months....

2 medicated IUI -both BFN
IVF # 1 (flare protocol)
Cancelled (poor response)

IVF # 1 (2nd attempt)-microdose flare/estrogen priming
BFP!
Fraternal girls born Dec 2010

Dec-Natural BFP 
M/C at 8.5 wks

Dec-Natural BFP 

NT- all looks good

Baby girl born Aug 2013

#13 Rain

Rain
  • 84 posts
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

First foods are so exciting! DD is 10.5 months old and we did a combination of methods with her. I received the Baby Bullet as a shower gift and used it occasionally to purée fruits. It was too cute not to use it (comes with little baby jars with dial able dates). We also did a majority of baby lead weaning, much to the horror of my DH and mom. They hate to see her gag on anything. DD is a vegetarian, so we never tried her on meats, but she has eaten finger food since the beginning. Started with banana and avacado - both very soft so she could gum her food well. We were not super deligent with trying a food for days to see if she had a reaction. I figured if she was severely allergic to something it would show up immediately. Also, we were confused with what to 'delay' as there doesn't seem to be consensus anywhere what you should wait to give them. We decided early on to just feed her what we were eating - spices and all (with slight modification of not adding salt, figured we could add it to our individual meals if needed). I had read somewhere that many cultures give their children spicy foods as most cultures just feed their children whatever they are eating. For me it was just easier to feed her our food as I found it challenging to be making her seperate foods and really wanted to limit store bought. As a result, DD can handle spicer food that my DH does, and she loves spicy foods! We have tried some store bought in emergency situations, and the only kind she likes is a brand called Baby Gourmet. All organic and tastes very good http://www.babygourmet.com/. My theory is if it doesnt taste good to me i wouldnt expect her to like it..

I'm also a believer that meals should be enjoyable and not rushed. I let DD take her time eating until she wants no more and allowed her to make whatever mess she wants. Sometimes I still feed her and sometimes she feeds herself. I tried to never make it a power struggle and so far she is a very content eater and eats everything imaginable. When we go out for dinner, she will happily sit on my lap the entire meal and eat from my plate. Its made our life easier as we don't get concerned about taking her to a restaurant or to a friends for dinner and people often comment how quite and content she is to sit on my lap and eat.

Good luck with your food adventures! Enjoy it, but I agree with what others said, get read for the stinky poos!
DH: 39 Me: 39

TTC 10 years
5 months Clomid BFN
Fibroids and Polyps removed Nov 2009

IVF #1 Apr 2010
14 eggs retrieved
13 fertilized (w/ICSI)
5 survived to day 5
2 x 5 Day blasts transferred
3 Frozen
BFN

FET #1 Aug 2010
2 frozen blasts made it though defrost!
1 frozen one still waiting
BFN

October 21/10 - Uterine biopsy

IVF #2 Nov 2010
Estrace/Puregon/Repronex/Orgalutran
CD 3 - Nov 11 start injections
CD 7 - Nov 15 - US/BW = Estrogen 1025 - start Orgalutan
CD 9 - Nov 17 - US/BW - Estrodial 2578
CD 11 - Nov 19 - US/BW - Estrodial 4698
CD 13 - Nov 21 - US/BW - Estrodial 9224 - HCG Trigger
CD 15 - Nov 23 - Egg Retrieval - 12 eggs retrieved
CD 16 - Nov 24 - 9 fertilized
CD 18 - Nov 26 - 3 fertilized eggs transferred - 5,6 and 7 cell - 4 still watching
2dp3dt - Nov 28 - no frosties
13dp3dt -Dec 9 - Beta# 1 - 121 BFP!!!
19dp3dt - Dec 15 - Beta #2 - 1592

July 23/11 - DD arrives!!!!

#14 silverdollar

silverdollar
  • Cyclebase
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

Doodle you were ahead of the times - now eggs are in the new recommendations as long as they are fully cooked. I'm still going to try to get over there for a play date, we need some consistently nice weather.

Rain - interesting that you talk about your DD sitting on your lap to eat out at restaurants. We traveled through Europe when my Daughter was 3-4 months and she sat on my lap, or my husbands all the time. Since we've been home she has wanted to be at the table with us for meals too usually in her highchair, but if we eat out she happily sits on a lap. I think it's what they know.

BV - I looked at your blog. Great photos! How long did it take to get him to eat the chunk of meat with the fork? I could see Anika picking up a chunk of avacado or banana and feeding herself. She might even manage a spoon. We'll see.

#15 Baby 4 Millers

Baby 4 Millers
  • 1000+
  • 1,008 posts
  • My Clinic:Calgary

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

Silverdollar - actually the cooked yolk is a great first food but the white should still be delayed until one year. Still the recommendation on health Canada and CPS.
Me 39DH 41TTC 6 years
No luck with clomid & IUI
January 2012 dx and start DHEA
May start first round IVF: 450 gonal-f and 150 luverisMay 25 11follicles!!!May 26 15 folliclesMay 31 hcg injectionJune 1 ER 18 eggs, 11 appear matureJune 3 7 embryos but are still only 2 cellsJune 4 ET 3 embryos. No embryos to freezeJune 17 hpt BFP. My DH's first Fathers Day!June 19 Beta 249July 6 Two egg sacs and one with a baby with a heartbeat!
February 20, 2013 baby boy born

#16 frostedlemon

frostedlemon
  • 1000+
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

I use the PC Organics jarred food as well since I found it really difficult to find a lot of organic produce around here and a lot of it wasn't in season when we were starting. They taste pretty good to me, especially the fruits. I make my own for a bunch of things, but I do like the convenience of having them on hand and the flexibility of the different foods. And they're no more expensive than the other types of baby food.

For the steelcut oats, Calvin can't handle the texture of them made just as they are, so I put it through my coffee grinder and then cook it, so it's a bit smoother and less chewy. The amount of water is the same, but the cooking time is a bit less, just keep your eye on it if you're doing it that way. He's now able to handle the lumps so I'm hoping to be able to make it straight pretty soon. When we first started, he would gag on even small soft lumps of oatmeal or even pieces of soft banana. Sadly, I think he may have inherited my gag reflex :(

I really wanted to do baby led weaning but I have allergies so I wanted a more controlled approach. In hindsight, I think it was the right choice based on texture tolerance alone... I'm not sure he would have done very well with eating whole foods, no matter how soft, right off the bat.

Me - 34, Him - 38
See About Me for full history.
Long story short: Trying without success for four years, two m/cs, several medicated cycles including two IUIs, and too many BFNs to count.

Dec 2010 Surprise natural BFP!
All betas and ultrasounds look great.
March 25 - 18 week u/s. Everything looks perfect. It's a boy!
He arrived on Sunday, August 21, 2011. I can't believe he's ours! So grateful.

We would like a second but it will have to happen naturally. Period returned July 2012.

Nov 2013 - BFP, but faint and bleeding a few days later. Beta 23 and then down to non-pregnant levels. Things are back to "normal", apparently.

Visit my blog at: http://frostedlemonc....wordpress.com/

#17 BabyVibez

BabyVibez
  • Global 100+
  • 878 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

silverdollar - he has nibbled meat all along. he mostly just sucked the juices out of it for a couple months, then he went off and wouldnt eat any for a few weeks, then he started knawing and getting actual mouthfulls and now (16mos) he ate chicken thighs rolled in panko, roasted broccoli and sweet potatoes (I had the same meal) with his fingers/spoon. He is only now learning how to 'scoop' his morning cheerios/milk, but has been successfull with thicker things (apple sauce, yogurt etc) for a while. It's messy - but he is soooo proud of himself when he actually gets a spoonfull in his mouth!
Dx: Me PCOS, DH Azoospermia TTC since 2003 1st ATTEMPT: CRC Feb 28/09 - ER & MicroTESE: 31 eggs retreived Next day - 21 eggs were mature & Donor ICSI'd - 17 fertilized!! March 5/09 - ET: 1 grade 4AA blast...7dp5dt AF arrived and brought with her OHSS BETA:BFN 2nd ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility August 15/09 - FET: 1x 4AA Blast BETA:BFN 3rd ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility Sept 18/09 - FET: Assisted Hatching on 1 Morula & 1 8cell compacting. BETA:BFN 4th ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility March 10 2010 - FET 2 blasts BETA:BFN 5th ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility April: 4 Serial Endometrial Biopsys. May 31 FET 2 Blast 4AB & 2CC. Beta: 11dpt = 65, 13dpt = 194, 15dpt = 613, 19dpt = 2512, 21dpt=4377 U/S June 29 - Measuing 6w2d heart rate 126 bpm U/S July 12 - Measuring 8w4d heart rate 172 bpm U/S July 27 - Measuring 9w4d heart rate 176 bpm U/S September 29 - Measuring 20w1d 145bpm WE HAD A BOY! 6th ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility Oct 14 2012 - CD1 CD6 - in-cycle biopsy (to increase lining 'stickiness') CD10 - lining check 14mm Oct 29 - FET 1 2CC blast BFN May 2013 - FET cancelled at CD10 for polyp. Sono after AF revealed polyp gone. 7th ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility Aug 1 2013 - FET AH on 1 morula and 1 7cell grade 4A embryo (lost 2 others in the thaw) 1 Frosty Left!

#18 silverdollar

silverdollar
  • Cyclebase
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

The newest recommendations in BC suggest there is no need to hold off on egg white unless there is a family Hx of allergies. My sheet from the health unit talks about whole cooked eggs from 6months and up. It's such a change from the previous recommendations.

#19 doodle bug

doodle bug
  • 1000+
  • 2,604 posts
  • Interests:I'd be interested in getting some sleep...

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

Yay! We eat A LOT of eggs (almost every day) . I'm glad I havent been poisoning my children ;)

TTC since July 2008
July 2008 ectopic/surgery
Dec 2008 miscarriage
then BFN for 9 months....

2 medicated IUI -both BFN
IVF # 1 (flare protocol)
Cancelled (poor response)

IVF # 1 (2nd attempt)-microdose flare/estrogen priming
BFP!
Fraternal girls born Dec 2010

Dec-Natural BFP 
M/C at 8.5 wks

Dec-Natural BFP 

NT- all looks good

Baby girl born Aug 2013

#20 silverdollar

silverdollar
  • Cyclebase
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

After she tried to eat some grass at the park and an envelope at a friend's house, I decided to just go ahead and start her on solids. For our first attempt with the cereal I put the bowl on the highchair tray and she dipped her spoon in and brought it to her mouth all on her own. She's since had some soft finger foods (papaya, cucumber, prunes, egg, salmon, broccoli) and absolutely loves drinking from a real open top cup. I just have to share this photo series:

Attached File  AnikaEats.jpg   443.23KB   3 downloads
  • LMC likes this

#21 frostedlemon

frostedlemon
  • 1000+
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

Wow, I'm impressed! And love the pictures, she's so cute.

#22 Baby 4 Millers

Baby 4 Millers
  • 1000+
  • 1,008 posts
  • My Clinic:Calgary

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

The newest recommendations in BC suggest there is no need to hold off on egg white unless there is a family Hx of allergies. My sheet from the health unit talks about whole cooked eggs from 6months and up. It's such a change from the previous recommendations.

Curious. No update to health Canada's nutrition for healthy term infants on this point. I thought it also had to do with egg whites binding biotin.

Silverdollar - I love the pictures
Me 39DH 41TTC 6 years
No luck with clomid & IUI
January 2012 dx and start DHEA
May start first round IVF: 450 gonal-f and 150 luverisMay 25 11follicles!!!May 26 15 folliclesMay 31 hcg injectionJune 1 ER 18 eggs, 11 appear matureJune 3 7 embryos but are still only 2 cellsJune 4 ET 3 embryos. No embryos to freezeJune 17 hpt BFP. My DH's first Fathers Day!June 19 Beta 249July 6 Two egg sacs and one with a baby with a heartbeat!
February 20, 2013 baby boy born

#23 Yearning

Yearning
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,357 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

SD

Those pictures are so precious. Thanks for sharing!

Me (46), DH (47)
Dx: Nothing other than advanced maternal age. DH - poor count, motility and morphology
TTC since August 2007

Straight to IVF/ICSI, assisted hatching
ER - May 22, 2010, ET - May 25, 2010
BFP
DD born January 26, 2011 at 37w4d, 6 lbs 15.8 oz, 20.5 inches

#24 silverdollar

silverdollar
  • Cyclebase
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

Curious. No update to health Canada's nutrition for healthy term infants on this point. I thought it also had to do with egg whites binding biotin.

I will ask the dietician about the eggs the next time I'm at the health unit.

#25 sharlene

sharlene
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

I will ask the dietician about the eggs the next time I'm at the health unit.

Apparently, if you do a search, the advice has changed - but it still depends on whether there are suspected allergic issues due to family history - the more interesting thing to me is that whatever the baby likes now doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of likes and dislikes when they get to toddlerhood! I miss those days of when my little one ate almost anything put in front of him (though he disliked jarred baby food and I don't blame him) - boy have things changed!

Super cute photos!