6 replies to this topic

#1 MapleBecky

MapleBecky
  • Global 100+
  • 554 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Conceptia

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

I'm having a hard time lately. DH has azoospermia (no sperm) and low testosterone. They cannot replace his low T with testosterone therapy because it would kill any sperm cells he may have in his testicles and we can't risk damaging anything in there if we want to do a biopsy to find sperm.

Anyway, his sex drive is really low. It's been hard on me. We are like best friends, he says he is attracted to me, but he just never thinks of sex. We haven't even been married a year. I think the infertility Dx really hit him hard but there are no ED problems, thank goodness.

Any advice on how we can handle this? The urologist didn't seem to want to listen about trying him on taxomifen or clomid because he said it won't really help the azoospermia. I am willing to do anything at this point. Please help.

Becky (35)  Unexpectedly widowed in Feb 2013.  The night after my ER.  I was married to an incredible man named Chris.

Son, age 6
TTC #2 (his first) since our wedding in July 2011.

Dec 1, 2011- Found out he has azoospermia (no sperm in SA.)  Totally heartbroken and shocked.
Jan 2012- First consult at fertility clinic.
March 2012- My tests show high LH but everything else was normal. His LH/FSH were high, testosterone was really low. (4.2)
May 17, 2012- Official Dx of testicular failure and non-obstructive azoo. Given the option of mTESE, TESA or using a donor.
June 7, 2012- Urologist is seeing us again per our request. We need him to answer some questions about the procedures and testosterone.  He would not consider Clomid or any hormones for DH.
June 27, 2012- Saw RE and decided to proceed with dIUI. Told we needed one cycle on the BCP because of my high LH.
June 28, 2012- Started BCP for 21 days. Did pre-IUI micro and blood testing on July 3rd. Told they should be in on time for IUI in early August.
July 21, 2012- CD1. Called clinic and found out my cycle was canceled. They messed up and my file wasn't ready. They forgot to draw vit D and some other results are missing.
August 9, 2012- Nurse left message saying they cannot do this cycle either. Now it will take 2-3 MONTHS for DH's blood tests before we can use donor sperm.
August 10, 2012- RE called. DH has a reactive Hepatitis C blood test and they are trying to figure out if he's got an active infection or was exposed in the past.
August 23, 2012- He's Hep C NEGATIVE! Phew!
October 2012- Latest SA results still shows azoo, but we're glad the testosterone looks normal now. dIUI after 21 days on the pill. Clomid for cd3-7, LH is too high (17 and 14.6) and progestone getting too high. Had 3, 13.5mm folliciles and my lining is 8.6. CD13- Lining was good, triple layer at about 9. Now I just have one 17.5mm follicle on my left side.
October 17, 2012- dIUI  canceled. Clomid didn't work, estrogen too low, LH was normal again and progesterone was off too. Now we need an appointment to talk to our RE again to start over.
Dec 2012- Saw RE and we have to do IVF/ICSI, even with a donor. So, we decided to throw in a TESA with donor backup. Bloodwork this cycle, BCP and mock in Jan and hopefully a Feb IVF/ICSI/TESA!

IVF #1
Mock done, teaching visit done.  Started Suprefact on Jan 30.  AF arrived on schedule.
Baseline done, starting Gonal-F and Luveris Feb 11.
Stim day 4-  1 follicle at 11mm, 40 more under 10.  My lining is already a triple lining and at 8.6
Stim day 6-  8-9 follices between 11-13mm at least 20 more under 10mm.  This doctor saw my lining at 6.3?   Encouraged to walk because my circulation to my uterus wasn't what they wanted to be this time.  No idea what that means.
Stim day 8-   14 follicles.  All measuring between 11 and 15 with more under 10.   Lining is over 10.  Circulation is good again.   They are letting me skip my day 9 appointment. 
Stim day 10-  TRIGGER tonight!   I have 14 between 15-21mm, a few more at 14 that may catch up.  Lining is over 10.   DH's TESA is tomorrow.
Feb 21-  No sperm found with TESA.   ER tomorrow with donor sperm.
Feb 22-  ER was successful!  Collected 18 eggs.   7 from my right and 8 on my left.  We can skip ICSI because the donor's sperm is great.  Crossing fingers for a good fert report tomorrow.
June 2013- Updating. My husband, Chris, passed away unexpectedly of Sudden Arrhythmia Death Syndrome just hours after my ER on Feb 23.  Had 14 fertilize.  9, 5-day frozen blasts are at the clinic waiting for me to make some decisions. 

FET #1

June 2014-  5-day blast.   BFN just in time for what would have been our 3rd anniversary.  

FET#2

August 2014.  FET #2 on Aug 25 with another 5-day blast.  BFP!   Had scare with a bleed at 4w5d, but beta is still doubling.  Due May 13, 2015.  Ultrasound on Oct 5.

Oct 5-  8w4d-  Blighted Ovum.  Stopping estrogen and progesterone.  Waiting to miscarry.  Looking forward to moving on with life.

Oct 17- D&C.   Feeling peace about being at the end of the infertility battle.  Looking forward to the next chapter in my life.

#2 LWill

LWill
  • 39 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

I had low count at 1.5mil , slightly high FSH and low testosterone. The doctor had put me on Tamoxifen for a month and when he checked, my count had gotten worse so he took me off of it and were told the only way to get pregnant was with IVF. My wife and I went through 2 IVF cycles and I was drinking about a beer a day.

After we had to terminate our pregnancy on our 2nd IVF we changed our diets. I was drinking a beer a day and cut that down to 1 a week, changed my diet eating more vegetables and fruit, organic if I could find it. I also started taking vitamins, L-Arginine, L-Carnitine, Zinc, CoQ10, B12, Selenium, Melatonin, DHEA and this did the trick! We were to start our 3rd IVF cycle this past week but my wife got pregnant naturally. I am not sure this will help but I stayed on this for over 3 months which I believe made a huge difference.

Good luck.

8/2011 - Changed from IVF to IUI due to no mature eggs BFN
11/2011 - 1st IVF which was BFP
12/2011 - Terminate pregnancy due to being tubal
6/2012 - Cancelled IVF due to natural pregnancy
7/2012 - M/C
11/2012 - Changed from IVF to IUI due to 3 mature eggs BFN
12/2013 - Decided to go Donor route
1/14/13 - Hold Donor, had a natural pregnancy
1/15/13 - HCG 581
1/17/13 - HCG 1,350
2/05/13 - Sonogram Scheduled

#3 MapleBecky

MapleBecky
  • Global 100+
  • 554 posts
  • My Clinic:Conceptia

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

Thanks! I just started him on a few supplements too, there was one that the natropath suggested in her forum too. At this point, I would be willing to try anything...

Becky (35)  Unexpectedly widowed in Feb 2013.  The night after my ER.  I was married to an incredible man named Chris.

Son, age 6
TTC #2 (his first) since our wedding in July 2011.

Dec 1, 2011- Found out he has azoospermia (no sperm in SA.)  Totally heartbroken and shocked.
Jan 2012- First consult at fertility clinic.
March 2012- My tests show high LH but everything else was normal. His LH/FSH were high, testosterone was really low. (4.2)
May 17, 2012- Official Dx of testicular failure and non-obstructive azoo. Given the option of mTESE, TESA or using a donor.
June 7, 2012- Urologist is seeing us again per our request. We need him to answer some questions about the procedures and testosterone.  He would not consider Clomid or any hormones for DH.
June 27, 2012- Saw RE and decided to proceed with dIUI. Told we needed one cycle on the BCP because of my high LH.
June 28, 2012- Started BCP for 21 days. Did pre-IUI micro and blood testing on July 3rd. Told they should be in on time for IUI in early August.
July 21, 2012- CD1. Called clinic and found out my cycle was canceled. They messed up and my file wasn't ready. They forgot to draw vit D and some other results are missing.
August 9, 2012- Nurse left message saying they cannot do this cycle either. Now it will take 2-3 MONTHS for DH's blood tests before we can use donor sperm.
August 10, 2012- RE called. DH has a reactive Hepatitis C blood test and they are trying to figure out if he's got an active infection or was exposed in the past.
August 23, 2012- He's Hep C NEGATIVE! Phew!
October 2012- Latest SA results still shows azoo, but we're glad the testosterone looks normal now. dIUI after 21 days on the pill. Clomid for cd3-7, LH is too high (17 and 14.6) and progestone getting too high. Had 3, 13.5mm folliciles and my lining is 8.6. CD13- Lining was good, triple layer at about 9. Now I just have one 17.5mm follicle on my left side.
October 17, 2012- dIUI  canceled. Clomid didn't work, estrogen too low, LH was normal again and progesterone was off too. Now we need an appointment to talk to our RE again to start over.
Dec 2012- Saw RE and we have to do IVF/ICSI, even with a donor. So, we decided to throw in a TESA with donor backup. Bloodwork this cycle, BCP and mock in Jan and hopefully a Feb IVF/ICSI/TESA!

IVF #1
Mock done, teaching visit done.  Started Suprefact on Jan 30.  AF arrived on schedule.
Baseline done, starting Gonal-F and Luveris Feb 11.
Stim day 4-  1 follicle at 11mm, 40 more under 10.  My lining is already a triple lining and at 8.6
Stim day 6-  8-9 follices between 11-13mm at least 20 more under 10mm.  This doctor saw my lining at 6.3?   Encouraged to walk because my circulation to my uterus wasn't what they wanted to be this time.  No idea what that means.
Stim day 8-   14 follicles.  All measuring between 11 and 15 with more under 10.   Lining is over 10.  Circulation is good again.   They are letting me skip my day 9 appointment. 
Stim day 10-  TRIGGER tonight!   I have 14 between 15-21mm, a few more at 14 that may catch up.  Lining is over 10.   DH's TESA is tomorrow.
Feb 21-  No sperm found with TESA.   ER tomorrow with donor sperm.
Feb 22-  ER was successful!  Collected 18 eggs.   7 from my right and 8 on my left.  We can skip ICSI because the donor's sperm is great.  Crossing fingers for a good fert report tomorrow.
June 2013- Updating. My husband, Chris, passed away unexpectedly of Sudden Arrhythmia Death Syndrome just hours after my ER on Feb 23.  Had 14 fertilize.  9, 5-day frozen blasts are at the clinic waiting for me to make some decisions. 

FET #1

June 2014-  5-day blast.   BFN just in time for what would have been our 3rd anniversary.  

FET#2

August 2014.  FET #2 on Aug 25 with another 5-day blast.  BFP!   Had scare with a bleed at 4w5d, but beta is still doubling.  Due May 13, 2015.  Ultrasound on Oct 5.

Oct 5-  8w4d-  Blighted Ovum.  Stopping estrogen and progesterone.  Waiting to miscarry.  Looking forward to moving on with life.

Oct 17- D&C.   Feeling peace about being at the end of the infertility battle.  Looking forward to the next chapter in my life.

#4 MamaInWaiting

MamaInWaiting
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, our Labradoodle puppy (Dudley), reading, Criminal Minds
  • My Clinic:CReATe Fertility Centre

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

My husband has low testosterone/libdo and this affects his performance when I need him (aka egg day!).  He isn't a super-sexually charged guy.  He has found a supplement called Forta for Men.  It states that it doesn't impact sperm and actually helps it.  It is getting harder to find in the 10 packs in stores.  You can find 2 packs in Popeyes health food places.  We buy the 10 packs right from Forta and it cost about $50.00.  If you buy a few packs, I think they ship for free and sometimes they have discount codes for 20% off.  It doesn't seem to give him any side effects and we haven't seen any issues with sperm numbers dropping.  Hope that helps.

Me: 40 DH: 41 (Male Factor: Sperm DNA Fragmentation)TTC since September 2011Rouge Valley1st IUI - October 2012 - BFN2nd IUI - December 2012 - chemical pregnancy (failed)3rd IUI - February 2013 - BFNCReATe Fertility Centre4th IUI - March 18th, 2013 - BFP. Son born December 19th, 2013. TTC baby #2

#5 BabeChilla

BabeChilla
  • Just Hatched
  • 7 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

My husband has borderline T levels and very very little sperm. We were on the HCG shots for 3 months which tripled his T levels and did wonders for his sex drive. Unfortunately, it did nothing to his sperm except make it slightly worse so we've had to come off. This was just recently and he's already losing that drive. Man those 3 months were good. 

It's really hard. I NOW know that it's chemical but it doesn't stop me from taking it personally and feeling really frustrated that in our early/mid 30s our sex life is already so meh. If we ever manage to get pregnant we can do the T replacement as you mentioned, but we're stuck until then I suppose. 

I know exercise is one thing that would help, and did in the past for my DH. Of course I cannot get him to do it so it's not relevant. I've read a lot on the internet about natural ways to improve it but, it's hard to say. 

As for the above poster, my DH has not drank in 16 months and sadly it has had no positive impact on us. 

I wish I had advice. I don't, but I can commiserate :)

Mama to 3.5 y/o Everly Delilah - conceived naturally after 14 months. 

TTC #2 w/MFI (severe oligospermia)for Since August 2012.
HCG shots to raise DH T levels CONFIRMED. Levels Tripled! 
HCG Injects to raise DHs sperm counts FAILED. Counts WORSE.
Journey over or toward ICSI, we don't know. 

Hoping for another miracle, trying not to scream.

Mama Bloggin' at www.chillmamachill.com

#6 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

Hello all...I'm very new to forum sites but decided I needed the added support.
My DH has less than 1 million count. He had testicular torsion on his left side as a kid and has a minor varicocele on his right (they say not severe enough to do anything). His 'testosterone' levels were normal but his 'free testosterone' was below normal (what you want to check for fertility) and his LH levels are above normal. He's tired all the time and man, moody as all get out.
We are going for a 2nd urologist opinion next week as we felt the 1st opinion just wanted to send us to ICSI right away without maybe addressing my DH's overall health issue.
Question: has anyone's DHs been on Clomid to increase sperm count just for the short term for fertility and if so what what the outcome? It's experimental but I've read many success stories.
Any info would be appreciated!

See full journey details on my profile:

About Us:

​Trying to conceive since 2013 (male factor); Me: 39 yrs old; DH: 37 yrs old; low testosterone; very low sperm count; on Clomid for testosterone

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

- Retrieval: 22 eggs retrieved; 8 injected (ICSI); 6 fertilized; 4 embryos divided - 2 embryos are 4 cell grade 1, 1 embryo is 5 cell grade 2, and 1 embryo is 8 cell grade 2

FET #1 - medicated cycle (2014)

- transferred two day-3s: one 10 cell grade 1 and one 12 cell grade 2; Beta: BFN; approved to do a natural FET next time

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2014)

- added Teva-Doxycycline 100mg (antibiotic) started one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished) 

- transferred two day-3 embies (1 is 10 cell grade 2 and 1 is 12 cell grade 2); took 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg 45mins before FET        

​- HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif  Welcomed our little babygirl.gif in summer of 2015

~ 2016/17IVF Cycle #2: Project Sibling

Cycle Info:

Oct. 29: Retrieval - 23 eggs retrieved; will be a freeze all cycle

Nov. 2: Dostinex 0.5mg every other day for a total of 8 days has started to alleviate OHSS 

Nov. 4: Day 6 report: 5 embryos on ice... yay! 4 day-5s (4AA and 3 are 4BC quality) and 1 day-6 (5BC quality)

FET #1 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb. 6: start Teva-Doxycycline antibiotic100mg one day before procedure
Feb. 7: scheduled transfer at 11:45am; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer; transfer of one 4AA blast

Feb.20: BETA - BFN; approved to go right into another natural FET with no cycle in between

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb.24: CD3 - u/s and b/w= nothing said about lining; E2 19, LH 4.4 IU/L, FSH 6.6 IU/L, Prolactin 8.1 Ng/mL, TSH 2.22 IU/L, Progesterone 1.6 nmol/L, Glucose 4.1 - I requested (norm is 3.6-7.7); back on CD15; acupuncture 2x weekly until fet to try and bring on LH surge sooner than CD17.

Mar.6: OPK positive in the evening so looks like I will be going into the clinic tomorrow

Mar.7: CD14 - u/s and b/w= 11mm triple lining; E2 712, LH 32 IU/L

Mar.8: CD15 - b/w= confirmed LH surge was yesterday; E2 343, LH 8.12 IU/L; start Endometrin 3x/daily

Mar.11: start Doxycycline antibiotic 100mg (8 pills total) one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished

Mar.12: scheduled transfer at 10am of one 4BA blast; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer

Mar.23: HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif

​Mar.25: Beta #1= 788 hcg, Progesterone 107 nmol/L; RE happy with results so skipping beta #2 and going right to u/s

​Apr.4: had light bleeding last night so went to clinic where they did an u/s; too early to really see much but did see a gestational sac; u/s moved from Apr.8th to 15th

Apr.18: First u/s scheduled (at 8 wks).... omg there are twins!!! One had a heartbeat of 140 and the other only 80 so being referred to the head OB of internal fetal medicine as it looks like I may have a vanishing twin which RE said 50% of twins go down to one before the 2nd trimester.

#7 Renae

Renae
  • Global 100+
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:My interests are swimming daily, horseback riding and reading.
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Toronto

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:21 AM

My husband has very low testosterone. he was on testosterone injections and at that time he felt great. he had more energy. higher sex drive. His memory was good. he was happy. But when we started TTC they did a SA on him and we found out he had Zero sperm count they said he wasnt even producing dead ones there was absol nothing. So he saw a urologist he said he had to stop the testosterone injections after stopping the injections 3 months later his count was 27% 6 months later it was 60% and almost 1 yr after stopping his count is 87%. .I was so happy but my husband had No energy. His memory was horrible. No sex drive.  but we still could not get pregnant due to my fertility issues so we did 3 IUIs BFN. Then we did IVF. We used ICSI our fresh cycle failed but our first FET we got pregnant our son is now 20 months old. We are trying to give him a sibling. For some reason back in Nov my husbands count was 57% and we just had it checked last week and its gone down to 20% we have no idea why. Hes not on testosterone so why is his count dropping again. 

Me 39  DH 40-  

3 IUIs all BFN 

1st IVF -  2013 first IVF (long protocol)  11 retrieved. 5 blasts Transferred 2 BFN 

FET #1   Jan 2014 transferred 2 blasts- th_abfp.gif Had a beautiful little boy 09/14

Trying for a sibling- March 2016

FET # 2 (last embryo from my sons fresh cycle) Transferred 1 BFN

2nd IVF- August- 2016 ( short protocol) Fresh IVF- 24 follicles retrieved - 3 blasts  was not happy with the short protocol.                 Got better results from the long protocol. Transferred 1 in fresh cycle  BFN

FET # 1 Transferred 1 BFN 

FET # 2  in Dec 2016 of our last embryo had first m/c 

3rd IVF - Started stims Feb 11th doing PGS and embryoscope this cycle