13 replies to this topic

#1 Duck

Duck
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,848 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Repromed

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

I'm sure everyone has seen the Time magazine article, here is a great response from one blogger:

http://www.jennymeye...and-so-are-you/

I know I hated the cover (interpreting it as mothers who don't breastfeed are doing their child a disservice). Like mothers who can't breastfeed really need yet another person giving us their opinion!

Diagnosed with endometrosis at age 19

5 pelvic surgeries

2 IVF, numerous FETs

2 different gestational carriers

Now mother of 2 year old twins.

#2 judes

judes
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,053 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Montreal Fertility Centre

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

Duck - I agree with you. However, what is even more alarming is the infamy this kid would have when he gets older. Personally, I would never put my child in such a position. Can you imagine what would happen when he is in high school and some kid finds this? Perhaps they won't find it cause it will be old news by then, but you never know.

Me: 34 Him: 35
Married since 2006 TTC ever since
Diagnosis: PCOS 

For complete history, see about me.

IVF 1.3
12/26 - Mackenzie born 7:54 am, 6 lbs 3 oz

wFsTm5.png

2013 - Project sibling

IVF 2.1

4/17 - consult - Project sibling is a go.  same protocol as last time pending bloodwork and sonohysterogram. 

Projected beginning of cycle - August 2013.

5/8 - sonohysterogram: tubes clear, no residual placental tissue, ovaries still polycystic. Green light to cycle when ready.

8/9 - baseline scan. begin meds, 150 puregon, 50 menopur

8/13 - add orgalutran

8/18 - trigger half ovidrel, half hcg

8/20 - ER - 17 retrieved. 8/21 - 8 mature, 7 fertilised

8/23 - ET - One 8-cell grade 2 embryo transfered

8/26 - One embaby made it to the freezer!

9/1 - HPT - BFP!!!!

9/5 - Beta - 295!

9/9 - Beta - 1550!

9/18 - we have a heartbeat. Little Shrimp is 4.5mm and heart is beating at 109 bpm

10/25 - Turns out Little Shrimp is actually Little Shrimps! We had identical twins! Twin A 174 bpm, Twin B 183 bpm. Both measuring 11wks + 4 days

11/1 - NT scan. 1.5 and 1.6mm. Twins both measuring 12wks + 5 days, 2 days ahead.

Week 24 - put on modified bed rest due to softening of the cervix

Week 27 - hospitalised with pre-term contractions

Week 29 - put on strict bed rest

Seamus and Ronan born March 13 at 31 weeks and 2 days

Ronan came home April 7 and Seamus came home April 11.

SFCBm4.png

My blog - Geeky.Mama.Life

My YouTube channel - Geeky Mama Life

My day in the life vlog - Geeky.Mama.Vlogs

#3 SandraDee

SandraDee
  • Cyclebase
  • 681 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

Love that blog post, thanks for sharing it.

I haven't read the actual article (is there a link to it anywhere or do you have to buy the magazine?). I hated the cover though but for different reasons. I thought it was being deliberately provocative and made extended BFing look like some kind of freak-show. I nursed DD until 33 months and I got a ton of flack from friends and in-laws. That type of image only adds fuel to the fire. I mean that "3 year-old" looks 5 at least.

The fact is that humans are biologically intended to nurse until at least age 2. In modern western society, we don't need to nurse that long or at all because there are safe nutritious substitutes available. But I'm so tired of being judged for choosing to do something that was the norm for 90% of human evolution and does still have benefits today. In the end, I resorted to printing out the WHO and Canadian Pediatric Association fact sheets on it and handing them out to well-meaning busybodies.

And the title of the article makes me cringe. I think that BFing is great when it works but it's by no means the most important thing about being a parent. My DS wasn't much of a nurser and my supply was never enough for twins so he got mostly formula and I'm just as proud of the way I parented him as my daughter. I gave them both what the needed which is food and love. I think that moms need to stop judging each other for the choices they make or for the matters in which they have no choice. There is no one right way to raise a child. Why do we worry so much about what other parents are doing or not doing anyway? Is it insecurity? or is it articles like this that make us doubt ourselves?
  • Duck and frostedlemon like this
Me: 38 DH: 38
TTC: started at age 29. MF and Endometriosis
IVF #1: BFP! Twins!

Posted Image
FET #1: BFP but M/C at 6.5 weeks
FET #2: BFN
IVF #2: ER: 15 retrieved, 12 mature and 11 fertilized/ ET: 1 beautiful 1AB blast and 2 grade 3 morulas. Nothing to freeze.
BFP!!
It's twins again!

Posted Image

My regular blog (Children mentioned)

#4 SandraDee

SandraDee
  • Cyclebase
  • 681 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

Good point Judes. I can just imagine his highschool friends coming across that photo in 12 years. It would be mortifying!
Me: 38 DH: 38
TTC: started at age 29. MF and Endometriosis
IVF #1: BFP! Twins!

Posted Image
FET #1: BFP but M/C at 6.5 weeks
FET #2: BFN
IVF #2: ER: 15 retrieved, 12 mature and 11 fertilized/ ET: 1 beautiful 1AB blast and 2 grade 3 morulas. Nothing to freeze.
BFP!!
It's twins again!

Posted Image

My regular blog (Children mentioned)

#5 Duck

Duck
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,848 posts
  • My Clinic:Repromed

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

Duck - I agree with you. However, what is even more alarming is the infamy this kid would have when he gets older. Personally, I would never put my child in such a position. Can you imagine what would happen when he is in high school and some kid finds this? Perhaps they won't find it cause it will be old news by then, but you never know.

It is disturbing that this mother would promote her own self interest before those of her childs, kids will be cruel, and no one wants to be on the cover of a magazine breastfeeding while standing on a chai, and clearly she didn't think about the consequences of her actions.

Diagnosed with endometrosis at age 19

5 pelvic surgeries

2 IVF, numerous FETs

2 different gestational carriers

Now mother of 2 year old twins.

#6 sharlene

sharlene
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,705 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:USA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

Love that blog post, thanks for sharing it.

I haven't read the actual article (is there a link to it anywhere or do you have to buy the magazine?). I hated the cover though but for different reasons. I thought it was being deliberately provocative and made extended BFing look like some kind of freak-show. I nursed DD until 33 months and I got a ton of flack from friends and in-laws. That type of image only adds fuel to the fire. I mean that "3 year-old" looks 5 at least.

The fact is that humans are biologically intended to nurse until at least age 2. In modern western society, we don't need to nurse that long or at all because there are safe nutritious substitutes available. But I'm so tired of being judged for choosing to do something that was the norm for 90% of human evolution and does still have benefits today. In the end, I resorted to printing out the WHO and Canadian Pediatric Association fact sheets on it and handing them out to well-meaning busybodies.

And the title of the article makes me cringe. I think that BFing is great when it works but it's by no means the most important thing about being a parent. My DS wasn't much of a nurser and my supply was never enough for twins so he got mostly formula and I'm just as proud of the way I parented him as my daughter. I gave them both what the needed which is food and love. I think that moms need to stop judging each other for the choices they make or for the matters in which they have no choice. There is no one right way to raise a child. Why do we worry so much about what other parents are doing or not doing anyway? Is it insecurity? or is it articles like this that make us doubt ourselves?

I never thought of printing up a pamphlet to hand out to the many people who ask me when I'm going to stop breastfeeding! What an idea! It does amaze me how many people inquire. The boy in the article (on the cover) was about to turn 4, so I think he was 47 months - which is quite different than 36 months - but hey, it was meant to be provocative so it succeeded.

#7 supermom

supermom
  • 1000+
  • 1,621 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:HART

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

From what I've read on line this mother has since gotten offers from Playboy etc... I'm eager to see if she will take them up on that and what the fall out will be given her new "are you mother enough" title.
I dont have a problem with nursing that long but its not my personal choice.
At almost 3 my DS no longer is breastfed but if he is sick or upset he wants to place his head right next to my chest for comfort (which some people think is odd), I think to each their own but I think that at some point it likely becomes more about the mothers need to feel needed vs the childs need for the breast milk.
  • Duck likes this
ME: 32 DH: 41
DS conceived naturally 1996
Sixteen week Interstitial pregnancy 2000 (major internal damage done)
2004 & 2007 Adopted our two DS's (both autistic)
Au Natural TTC since 2000+ & Infertility treatments since 2002
November 2008 FET - BFP!!!!
1st beta - 113.5 & 2nd beta - 416
26 weeks and baby weighs 2 pounds 1 ounce
Welcomed Maxwell Thomas Ewing on August 2nd
7 pounds 13 ounces and 20 inches

Four frosties waiting for us!

Total treatments
3 IUI
4 Fresh IVF
14 FET
Blog: http://www.adjust-th...s.blogspot.com/

#8 frostedlemon

frostedlemon
  • 1000+
  • 1,383 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Clinic

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

I'm more upset that people are more up in arms about extended breastfeeding than they are about the fact that this is sensationalizing and polarizing to mothers. I guess breastfeeding is polarizing in general, but why get upset that this kid is still being breastfed and not upset about the fact that it's implying that those who don't do it that long or not at all somehow are "less" mothers? I'd be interested in actually reading the article and see what it says since often that is different than what is on the cover, which is just to sell magazines.

I dislike anything that pits mothers against each other or that makes one group seem superior to others. Everyone makes decisions that are best for them and their kids, it doesn't make what they do the only right way. Why can't we all support each other instead of needing to feel that we're doing a better job than everyone else? I like a lot of the ideas behind attachment parenting (and I hate the name of that... what is anything else, detachment parenting?), but a lot of them just are not for me. Does that make me a bad parent?

You know, parenting my kid always goes way smoother when I follow my instincts and use my brain and do what works for us, sometimes with input from others, both friends and experts. When I start focusing too much on what we "should" be doing, then I start to feel more stressed out if we're doing things differently. If more people felt confident enough to focus on themselves and what they're doing and not what everyone else is doing and looking for ways to prove their way is the best, maybe we would all be better off.
  • Duck, SandraDee and mouse like this

See About Me for full info.

“Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.” - Albert Einstein

#9 feydruss

feydruss
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,705 posts
  • Interests:Words. Lots and lots of words. The sun on my face. The smell of my husband's skin. Wearing my pyjamas all day. And chocolate.
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

I think that parenting styles are very individual. Few people can call themselves "pure" attachment parents, for example! We borrow strategies and models based on what works and our own experience and heritage. I would have loved to have BF, but because I had preemies I pumped for 5 months until I was decimated by mastitis. Does that make me not "enough" of a mother? I don't think so.

I'm more curious to see what the fallout will be over the article's suggestion that attachment parenting is destroying feminism.
  • Duck likes this

3rd cycle was the charm (despite everything going wrong)!
History and details in my profile
Twin boys Milan and Duncan born at 32w4d on 15 November 2010

#10 conky

conky
  • Global 100+
  • 744 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

I think this magazine would have had far less reaction had the cover shown an average looking mom with not-perky breasts nursing, say, a 4 year old girl instead of a hot mom with perky tits feeding her almost 4 but looks about 6 year old son.

As for extended breastfeeding, it doesn't bother me. In our society it's unusual and breasts are super super sexualized so I understand that a lot of people get a bit freaked out by it, but I don't.

#11 silverdollar

silverdollar
  • Cyclebase
  • 3,223 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor sports and activities of all types.
    Kids, sewing, photography, cooking, growing stuff in my garden.
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

Its such a contrived photo. Children at this age who still breast feed usually lay across their mother's laps while she is sitting down, they don't stand on chairs. It's also usually a once or maybe twice a day thing, often just before going to bed, not frequently throughout the day like a younger infant, so it's less common to see in public.

Unexplained IF/ DOR. Began TTC in 2008.
After a wild and crazy ride on the treatment train, our baby GIRL arrived on Jan 6, 2012
Hold on.... Surprise spontaneous just 7 months postpartum while still breastfeeding!!! Baby boy born May 2, 2013
My heart couldn't be more full :)

Full details are now in my profile "About Me" page

#12 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Cyclebase
  • 3,509 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

The whole thing feels contrived to me, actually; from the photo to the "controversy". Why does it matter if this (or any other) mother and child want to breastfeed longer than the "norm" (whatever that is)? Why does it matter if a mother feeds her baby formula? The important thing, in my mind, is children are being fed; no one's being neglected or deprived. As others have said, parenting is individual to the parent/child team and while we might ask for advice or validation, and have our own opinions, in general terms, it's none of my business how the day to day gets covered in other homes.
  • Duck and SandraDee like this

me 49, he 50 30 years together!
History: ectopic; late miscarriage
Many child 'free' years
Success on 2nd IVF (Halleujah! and happy 44th birthday to me!)
SHE'S HERE! SHE'S HERE!Born 05/11/2010 8:25pm. 5 lbs 13 ozs of absolute sunshine!
Tea parties, mud pies, and glitter!
Exploring options for IVF#3 (OE).
Test results appear promising and we are greenlighted.
4 mature eggs retrieved 04/06/14. All fertilized normally; scheduled for transfer on 04/09/14.
All 4 on board; beta set for 04/17/14. Second beta scheduled for 04/21/14. 3rd beta set for 04/23/14. Sono to see what might be going on set for 04/24.
Waiting game is over; another ectopic.

#13 doodle bug

doodle bug
  • 1000+
  • 2,622 posts
  • Interests:I'd be interested in getting some sleep...

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

I didnt read the article, but the cover made me laugh. (photo and title both) I guess it just seems ridiculous that a child of this age would be still nursing, and funny that it implies if I dont let my school aged son mouth my nipples, I am not mom enough. LOL.(i guess if i took it more seriously, I'd find it disturbing) I do find it interesting how it evokes such strong emotions in some people. I guess I have my opinions on those who dont nurse at all, those who nurse past a certain age, and those nurse without a modicom of discretion.... I just usually keep those opinions to myself. I'd love to read the article to find out why everyone is in such an uproar. But who has the time?

TTC since July 2008
July 2008 ectopic/surgery
Dec 2008 miscarriage
then BFN for 9 months....

2 medicated IUI -both BFN
IVF # 1 (flare protocol)
Cancelled (poor response)

IVF # 1 (2nd attempt)-microdose flare/estrogen priming
BFP!
Fraternal girls born Dec 2010

Dec-Natural BFP 
M/C at 8.5 wks

Dec-Natural BFP 

NT- all looks good

Baby girl born Aug 2013

#14 apanda

apanda
  • 1000+
  • 1,068 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Artus

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

Here is my take on that article; http://www.ecofamily...mom-enough.html
Me 38 DH 38
DS-1st DIUI with 50 mg cloimd
TTC#2 since Jan 2 2007

Super Ovulation booked for March 10th BFP here we come!
IUI March 28 Beta April 12 - 10 please stick little one!
Beta April 14 -11 it's over good bye my angel I will meet you one day!

DIUI Sept 6/11 with Clomid and HCG sadly another Chemical
2 Angels waiting in Heaven
Moving on to Adoption 100%
Officially on the wait list - Nov14/11

http://lifeafterfertilitytreatments.blogspot.com/
http://ecofamilylife.blogspot.com/

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers