2 replies to this topic

#1 planner1

planner1
  • Cyclebase
  • 180 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:AART

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

My DH and I recently had success with a second FET cycle. Unfortunately we found out at 8 weeks that the pregnancy had not lasted. It failed early as there was no visible sac. As far we currently know I am healthy and the issue lies with my DH. We are used donor sperm with IVF & ICSI. We had great success with fertilization and managed to freeze 9 blasts and transferred one. The second FET from our first IVF was our first success at pregnancy. Are there potential issues with sperm that can cause a miscarriage? The reason I'm asking is I'm wondering whether we should be considering switching donors with one who has proven success with fertility treatments. The donor we choose has 2 children of his own but how do we know that this is true? I guess I'm clutching at straws to find ways to increase our potential success next time. Any advice would be greatfully received.

#2 Dr. Tamer Said

Dr. Tamer Said
  • Scientific Advisor
  • 134 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:ReproMed

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

Yes, most notably sperm DNA abnormalities may lead to miscarriages. It could be one of the reasons for lack of fetal development following IVF/ICSI.

Since routine testing for sperm quality does not cover all potential problematic parameters, it may be prudent in your case to use a proven fertile donor. The sperm bank records should document if the donor has a proven fertility history. These records should be accurate depending on the sperm bank that you are using.

Best wishes.
Tamer M. Said, MD, PhD, HCLD(ABB)
Director, Andrology Laboratory & Reproductive Tissue Bank
The Toronto Institute for Reproductive Medicine - ReproMed
56 Aberfoyle Crescent, Suite 300
Toronto, ON M8X 2W4
Email: tsaid@repromed.ca

#3 planner1

planner1
  • Cyclebase
  • 180 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor