Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

• Cyclebase
  • 1416 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Canada

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

Hi Dr,

Quickly, here's my story - First IVF cycle just failed. We didn't make it to transfer b/c none of our 3 embryos made it to blast. I was on a lower drug protocol b/c apparently, I had high hormonal levels... unfortunately, this produced terrible results! (only 5 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized.) We have MF. I basically have to wait another 4-5 months just to meet with my Dr to discuss why my cycle failed. I know it's not much time for most people, but for me, it's such a long wait. I will be turning 32 this summer.

I was just wondering if, in the meantime there's anything I can do? Should I ask to be put on Clomid? Obviously, we will be ttc in-between these months incase some sort of miracle happens. But, would clomid help increase our chances. Like I said, we have MF, and I am very regular and ovulate each month... However, if we can get something to help boots our chances, if even by a few percentages I'm willing to try.

Also, does the fact that I produced so few eggs point to any issue on my end? I was on 150-gonal, and 75 luveris. I had 11 follicles on the day of retrieval. I do not know the results of my blood work however 5 days after I started the injections, the nurse told me that my blood work was slightly lower than the it should be but the Dr. didn't want to change my dose...

Any information and opinions would be helpful! (From anyone!)
Thanks...

May 2013 - We welcome our baby boy 

Nov. 28th 2015 - We welcome our baby girl

3 day 3 embryos on ice 

For a more detailed look on my cycles, visit my 'about me' page

#2 sharlene

sharlene
  • Cyclebase
  • 1737 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:USA

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

Hi,
I am no expert and the doctor will probably answer shortly and of course, I'll be interested to read the response - but I certainly wonder why on earth your RE was waiting the 5 days for your embryos to become blasts - what would have been the problem with putting back whatever you still had (alive) on day 3? I have seen this with numerous women in Canadian clinics (though this site) and it boggles my mind - I understand when the women has 10+ embryos - but when you started with 5 and then were down to 3, what was the point of stretching out to 5 days? At least, my RE feels that the embryos have a better chance at survival in their natural environment - so mine were put back when they were 8 celled, on day 3. One survived to become my son. I am certainly pleased that we didn't wait till day 5, hoping that they would continue to exist in the lab, waiting to put them back.

#3 Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

• Cyclebase
  • 1416 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Canada

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

I know... I guess the theory is that your embryo that made it would have been a blast had they let it get to Day 5... Also, in Quebec - the gov't pays for 3 fresh cycles. This cycle that I've just done doesn't count as one since we didn't transfer. So, I still have 3... So they only want to transfer to top quality embryos in order to optimize the chances of pregnancy. A lot of new research points towards the benefits of blast transfers... I guess it also depends on the technology available at the clinics. I guess some of the new fluids that the embryos are in are far superior than they were years ago.

So, I don't know what's better! It's a good debate I think. In the end here, I don't really have much of an option! It's great that the gov't pays for it, but it creates a lot of protocols (this being one of them). If I could afford IVF, I'd be upset! But since my husband and I are teachers, there's no way that we could have afforded to do this had it not been paid. So for us, the good outweigh the bad!

Lucky you to have a beautiful son! Congrats!

May 2013 - We welcome our baby boy 

Nov. 28th 2015 - We welcome our baby girl

3 day 3 embryos on ice 

For a more detailed look on my cycles, visit my 'about me' page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blast, failed cycle, clomid, MF