2 replies to this topic

#1 d-ster

d-ster
  • 15 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Clinic

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:23 AM

Hi Dr. Liu,

I'm very new to the world of fertility, so I know next to nothing about treatments, or the terminology, for that matter!

What I do know is that a pelvic and transvaginal ultrasound I had done about 2.5 years ago revelaed a hydrosalpinx in my left fallopian tube and a cyst on my right ovary. The only symptoms I have with these conditions is extremely irregular periods (thus, I do not know when I ovulate) and occasional pain with intercourse. I have a few questions that I hope you are willing to answer:

1. How does an ovarian cyst impact ovulation and fertilization?
2. How exactly are cysts treated?
3. I have read that a hydrosalpinx should be removed or clamped off before beginning any treatments, as it reduces the success rate of IVF. If the tube is clamped, does the hydrosalpinx just stay in place? Isn't there a risk of the hydosalpinx just sitting there (e.g possibly rupture), as they're usually caused by an infection? If the hydrosalpinx is removed, do the fallopian tube and ovary get entirely removed? Should this procedure be done prior to getting referred to a fertility clinic?

Thanks,
~D-ster
Me: 28
DH: 29

Left hydrosalpinx and Right ovarian cyst
Been TTC x 1.5 years
Awaiting initial consult at Markham Fertility Clinic

#2 LWill

LWill
  • 39 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

I have also read that the hydrosalpinx could reduce you succes of IVF. There is a procedure called Essure that is less invasive than surgery to correct this problem.
8/2011 - Changed from IVF to IUI due to no mature eggs BFN
11/2011 - 1st IVF which was BFP
12/2011 - Terminate pregnancy due to being tubal
6/2012 - Cancelled IVF due to natural pregnancy
7/2012 - M/C
11/2012 - Changed from IVF to IUI due to 3 mature eggs BFN
12/2013 - Decided to go Donor route
1/14/13 - Hold Donor, had a natural pregnancy
1/15/13 - HCG 581
1/17/13 - HCG 1,350
2/05/13 - Sonogram Scheduled

#3 Imanaka

Imanaka
  • 5 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:regional fertility program

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

I have just gone through my first failed IVF cycle in March, at my follow up my doctor mentioned a dilated right tube but she has never mentioned this before. I have had 2 HSG (one to confirm adhesions and one after my ectopic) I also had to laporoscopies (1 to remove adhesions and the last one to remove an ectopic pregnancy in my right tube) ever since the ectopic I have had constant stabbing pain on my right side. My doctor does not want me to do another surgery because I have had two in the last two years but I don't want risk another failed IVF cycle. I have 11 frozen blasts waiting for me but I don't want them to be used for trial and error purposes. I am going to see her next week b/c I am scheduled to do a transfer in May and I am scared to do this if I have a hydro tube. Do you think another Lap would cause more damage than help? I am confused at this point and I don't know what to do.
Me (29)-tubal damage possible hydro in rt tube
DH (30)-perfectly fine
Married Since 2007
TTC-4 years

HSG 2009- right tube open, left tube spasm
Lap done in 2010 to remove adhesions to help get pregnant
2 miscarriages in 2010 (5weeks and 8 weeks)
1 ectopic 2010 (emergency Lap, rt tube saved)
HSG 2011-possible right hydrosalpinx
Karotyping-normal for both of us
Hormone testing-completely normal

Start IVF January 2012
Base US- 50 follicles!!!
Feb-stimming low dose, possible OHSS
ER Feb 19 -19 eggs, 15 fertilized 12 made it to blastocyst!!
ET Feb 24- transferred 1 4AA blast and froze 11
Result-BFN

FET scheduled for May/June 2012
FET transfer July 10th- 2 excellent quality expanded blasts
Result: BFP
Beta at 15dp5dt: 7128!!!
U/S-august 10