Reasons objecting to IVF funding - Healthcare Funding and Finances - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Reasons objecting to IVF funding

government funding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rick

Rick

Test Again

• Adminoocyte
  • 6299 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

Please state reasons why IVF should not be funded by government. For those with alternative views please record them on the support thread. This is only for objecting arguments.

#2 Ttcbelieve

Ttcbelieve
  • 69 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

I'll give this a shot.

An objective argument may be that if IVF falls under the medical category then IVF should not be funded as it is not a "Medical Treatment".

IVF solves a problem, it allows people to have a baby, and there may be several reasons why people cannot have babies. If we agree that the reason that people cannot have babies is directly related to a medical issue or a problem. IVF will not solve or cure the medical issue or problem. IVF will allow the person who has the medical issue an opportunity to "by pass" the issue and have a baby but it does not solve the medical issue.

The treatment or cure for the medical issue should be funded by the government, however as IVF does not cure or treat it should not be funded.

E.g
An individual with blocked fallopian tubes can get a surgical treatment, laparoscopy to attempt to treat or cure the medical issue. IVF can be used to have a baby if the individual is unable to have babies as a result of the blocked fallopian tube. Laparoscopy treats the medical issue; IVF does not treat the medical issue.

Similar example for an individual with sperm issues, IVF does not cure or treat sperm issue but will afford the individual an opportunity to address the "cause & effect" of the sperm issue

#3 Ope

Ope
  • Cyclebase
  • 2138 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility for now

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

It is not my opinion , but I share what one of my co-worker told me.
It was back in 2007 when we realized that we have a problem, which can be solved only with IVF/ISCI. That was bad news, but the real shocker come when I realized that in Canada the health care system do not pay for it. I have lived in a couple of countries in Europe before I came to Canada and all of them covered a limited number of IVF attempts. So for me the financial burden was the most shocking part of the whole process. It made me feel alienated by the society.

One day I vent about this to a girl I worked with and her answer was : "Why should I or everybody else pay for your child."

I was really surprised by her answer, as it against the basic principle of publicly funded any social services : healthcare, elementary education etc. Since then I have realized that many people have that type of view, especially since I live in Alberta.
Lots of people are pro private heath care here, and they would like to see a movement toward less publicly funded health services.
right now me : 37 Dh:40

TTC #1: natural TTC 1.5 yrs
Dh: 35, Severe Male factor infertility, morphology is 1-2%
Me: 32 , tubes open, no endo, regular ovulation, all hormones are good, 3rd day FSH 5.3 , antral follicle count is 12, only problem is my weight BMI: 30

IVF/ ICSI #1: 2008 February -McGill, Montreal
Long protocol: BCP for 1 month, burselin from CD21, 300 Gonal F and 150 Luveris for 10 days
ER: 11 egg , 6 mature , 5 fertilized, 3rd day transfer:a 7 cell & an 8 cell embyos, no frosties.
1st beta : 13dp3dt: 77, BFP
2008,November 19th: Adam has arrived 7 lb 4 oz, 21"

TTC #2: natural TTC 1.5 yr
Dh :39 morphology went up to 4%, we meet the IUI cutoff! count are fluctuating from 30 to 105 million, motility is great. Caryotyping is normal
Me: 36 FSH is slightly elevated and keep rising 8.5, 8.8, 8.9, 9.8 , AFC is still 12, everything else looks good.

IUI #1: Edmonton, 2011 January ,Clomid 50mg (x5), 106 mil ,68% motile, grade 4 :BFN
IUI #2: Edmonton, 2011 February, Clomid 50mg (x5), 30 mil, 57% motile, grade 3: BFN
IUI #3: Edmonton, 2011 March, Clomid 50mg (x5), 88 mil , 49% motile, grade 4: BFN
IVF#2: 2011 May, Edmonton: long protocol , nasal suprefact : CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
IVF#3: 2011 August, Edmonton: short protocol/natural start: CANCELLED due to high progesterone
IVF#4: 2001 September, Edmonton: short protocol with BCP: CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
Change clinic

IVF #5: 2012 March-April Hungary: stimulation starts march 28, 300 Menopur
mixed protocol: BCP for months, CD3: Menopur 300& lupron for 8 days
ER : April 8th , 4 eggs retrieved, all were mature and fertilized with ICSI and AH
ET : April 11th, 1 A quality 8 cell, and 1 A quality 4 cell embryo transferred, no frosties.
BFP on the HPT at 7dp3dt: happy 37th birthday to me :D
Beta: , 12dp3dt: 150, 2nd Beta, 15dp3dt: 550
Anna has arrived on 21st December after being induced at 39 week. She is 6 lb 9 oz, 20" , and has blue eyes, and long dark brown hair and just perfect !

#4 impatient

impatient
  • Cyclebase
  • 2816 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:public adoption

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

I have mixed feelings about the debate. I do think that our provincial medical insurance should pay for it. However, I can see advantages in the private model.

1) In most provinces, there are shorter wait times, and if not, there is always the option to go to another province or country.
2) There's more competition, and in order to attract patients, clinics must offer better patient services and strive for higher success rates.
3) There's less red tape, so REs are more willing to think outside of the box and try new protocols.
4) There's no need to satisfy judgemental government regulations, ie "candidates must be straight couples younger than 38 with no previous children".
Me: 41, DH: 44
TTC: since Jan, 2008 (age 34)

DH: Low morphology, low count. Me: Stage 2-3 endometriosis, non-functional fallopian tubes, small fibroids, low AFC, low poor responder ... anything else?

Jun 2008-Sep 2011 in a nutshell: One HSG, one very traumatic office hysteroscopy, one operative laparoscopy, three fresh IVF/ICSI cycles, one chemical, one early miscarriage, two tubal recanalizations, five IUIs (3 with Clomid).

May 2010 - Aug 2011 Attempted adoption application process through the BC MCFD. Aug 2011 Signed up with a private agency. On both waiting lists as of Apr 2012. Proposal through MCFD Jul 2012. Aug 2012 - Finally ... she's home and we're a family! : )

Adoption application #2 started Aug 2013. DD2 placed May 2014, finalized Feb 2015!

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas Edison

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: government, funding