5599 replies to this topic

#1 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:McGill Reproductive

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:56 PM

Hi everyone! I felt is was just too quiet in our clinic chats...and thought I would make an attempt to get us all connected and talking again.

I'll go first!

After a tumultuous first attempt at IVF early in September of this year, and a difficult ectopic pregnancy loss and tubal removal late in October...my husband and I are beginning the prep work for our IVF #2 in Feb/March/April 2012.

My protocol has changed...I will be following a "microdose flare", and will be using Marvelon BCP for 21 days with Suprefact leading up to the stimulation part of the program...Gonal-F (FSH) and Luveris (LH).

Things I will be doing in preparation of the IVF will be beginning acupuncture again in January! Very much looking forward to that. Also, I've recently switched from Life brand prenatals (generic Materna) to PregVit-5...so far...so good. MUCH easier on my stomach...plus extra folic acid. Besides trying to exercise a bit more and continuing to eat well...I will also be adding in 300mg/day of Ubiquinol gel caps (the purer form of CoQ10). Since our IVF (despite the ectopic), there is a chance we may be dealing with some egg quality factors...we decided to add the supplement to see if any improvements could be yielded. If not with egg quality...with my energy levels. Since the surgery I've been lagging!

So...I start BCP first day of my period in February.

I'm excited that the holidays are upon us (I still can't really believe it)...and that the New Year is right around the corner. I'm hoping that 2012 is our year...all of our year!

How about the rest of you!? I know there are a lot of McGill Reproductive patients here!
  • julie39 likes this

Me: 33 DH: 31
TTC 4+ years
Asthmatic - Bricanyl & Symbicort daily
Hydrosalpinges --> Bilateral Tubal removal

IVF#1 - September 2011 - Short protocol - Cancelled/Ectopic pregnancy; Tubal removal (October)
IVF#2 - March/April 2012 - Modified Microdose Flare Protocol - BFN - 3 frozen blasts
FET#1 - July 2012 - Cancelled; zero survive thaw
IVF#3 - October/November 2012 - Modified Microdose Flare Protocol - BFN - 3 frozen blasts
Hysteroscopy and Biopsy February 2013 - All results normal

FET#2 - BFP - March/April 2013 - EDD December 25, 2013

2 frosties waiting

January 1 - Our beautiful baby boy arrived after an emergency induction.  Completely in love! <3

#2 marslo

marslo
  • 15 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:McGill

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:41 PM

Hi KennyandFooty - I hope this thread takes off. I've been lurking around here for awhile and I'm really sorry for all the tough blows you've been dealt this fall. It really isn't fair.

I'm on CD3 of my third IUI at McGill. I'm on 7 days of Gonal-F 75IU. We have unexplained infertility. I'm trying to stay hopeful for this cycle, because otherwise what's the point, but I don't see how this cycle is going to be different than the first two. I was so sure the last one was going to be it for us, but AF showed up right on schedule last Sunday.

I just stopped taking the PregVit-5 because I've been having terrible nausea since my last trigger. I'm hoping it was the vitamins. As of today I'm back on regular old 1 mg of folic acid. I'm also considering starting a B complex vitamin, as my B6 and B12 numbers are a bit off, but I'm nervous to try anything new while cycling.

If this cycle doesn't work, then I'm actually kind of looking forward to the wait before we could start IVF. I don't want to start it when I feel this negative. I will definitely start acupuncture and possibly COQ10.

I really hope that 2012 is the year for all of us!
Me: 31, DH: 35
Dx: unexplained

TTC officially since Sept. 2009

IUI#1 - Sept 2011: Gonal-F = BFN
IUI#2 - Nov 5 2011: Gonal-F = BFN
IUI#3 - Nov 30 2011: Gonal-F = BFN :(

#3 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:38 PM

Hey marslo! Great to hear from you!
I hope this thread takes off too! I know there are a number of McGill patients on the forum...but I've only really seen like 3 or 4 posting in the McGill threads! :D

Yes...2011, particularly this latter half, has been difficult for me (and my DH). We're getting back on our feet now...and we're starting to feel a bit more enthusiastic about the potential that 2012 can have for us. We're not EXCITED yet...but that will come with a bit more time I think. We're very hopeful, if nothing else!

So, for IUI's...is 3 just the number you decided you would try before moving to IVF? Do you mind if I ask who your RE is at McGill? I'm with Dr. Buckett, whom I adore. The nurse I deal with most often is probably Dora...she did up both my IVF calendars for me. She's a total sweetheart...but there are a number of great nurses on F6.

So sorry to hear that you got another BFN over the weekend. I am hoping and wishing that you get that BFP way before you even have to think more about the IVF...but...should that not happen, at least you're in good hands.

:D

TTC 4+ years

IVF#1 - September 2011 - Short protocol - Cancelled/Ectopic pregnancy; Tubal removal (October)
IVF#2 - March/April 2012 - Modified Microdose Flare Protocol - BFN - 3 frozen blasts
IVF#3 - October/November 2012 - Modified Microdose Flare Protocol - BFN - 3 frozen blasts

2 frosties waiting

January 1 - Our beautiful baby boy arrived after an emergency induction.  Completely in love! <3

#4 marslo

marslo
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:12 AM

The reason I say this is the last IUI is that our RE, Dr. Holzer, said that usually it is the maximum number they do, especially because we're unexplained. If he wants us to continue, though, I'm all in. Whatever it takes. But we will definitely reassess if this is not our cycle. Fingers crossed.

I quite like Holzer, though we haven't seen much of him since we're only doing IUI right now. He actually performed my last insemination, which is very unusual. I so thought it was going to work. LOL. I'm always looking for signs. Mostly we deal with the fellows. I most frequently fall upon Dr. Roux. She is growing on me, but that chick needs a better bedside manner. She wished me good luck once last time, so she is improving!

Do you see much of your RE during IVF? I feel as though IUI is largely left in the hands of the fellows. Overall, I'm happy with McGill. We didn't like feeling like we were on a conveyor belt at first, so we went for consultations at both OVO and MFC. It made me more confident in my choice of McGill - things are nuts at all clinics in Montreal and I have a lot of confidence in the skill of the Drs. I feel comfortable there, which is what counts most.

At my u/s this week, I accidentally waited in the wrong area, with all the couples there for their six-week scan. While it made me a bit sad that it wasn't my turn, it was nice to see how many people walked out holding their u/s pictures. Soon that will be us!

#5 PaleSpring

PaleSpring
  • Global 100+
  • 949 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:01 AM

Hello ladies. Here is some background on us. We started TTC 2008, but in those silly days I didnt even know what my fertile dates were or what the heck egg white cervical fluid was and I actually thought you could get pregnant any and every day of the month hahaha! I also didnt know that personal lubricants can be harmful for sperm and you could only use ones specifically made for TTC. So because of those two points, I dont really count the period between Jan-Aug 2008. So then in August I needed to get a vaccination for German Measles and then had to stop TTC until Jan 2009, which is when we jumped back in game after having the first of what would become way too many books on how to get pregnant fast and easy. I was charting my basal body temperatures, until I could tell when I was ovulating just by breathing

Fast forward to Sept 2009. Started going to the McGill Reproductive Clinic. Spent a couple of months doing all the tests, everything came back normal. Doctor said we can start on Clomid but we said if everything is normal then we dont need it. So went back to trying naturally. Were planning to keep trying till summer and if nothing happens then go back in June to start treatment. Nothing happened, but then my sister was getting married and then we went away for the summer, so it was Sept again before we finally went back to start on Clomid. Did 2 months of Clomid, Ovidrel and timed intercourse. Did my first IUI in Nov 2010, went on to do a total of 6 IUIs from then until July 2011. Two were with Clomid (50mg), four were with Puregon (50iu, 50iu, 75iu, 75iu). Although we are unexplained, I do have polycystic ovaries (but not PCOS, just the high antral follicle count). So my doctor was very cautious is raising my dose past 75iu because she was afraid I would hyperstimulate. We had booked our calender in Jan 2011 and since it wasnt until Sept 2011, we basically just kept trying with the IUIs in the meantime. Every cycle went great..except none of them worked. In April 2011 I also had a hysteroscopy and polypectomy to remove a polyp that was detected on one of my routine ultrasounds. The pathology was normal and doctor said its nothing to worry about

So! If anyone is still reading and hasnt falling asleep yet hahaha. After my calendar, I got my IVM cycle booked for Jan 2012. We decided to go for the IVM because since I am still young[ish] and have a high antral follicle count, my doctor thinks I will respond better to this than the more aggressive drug therapy of IVF which might make me stimulate too much. The protocol she has written for me is basically Repronex 150 iu for 4 days, with all the other usual things like Estrace, Prometrium, Medrol, etc

So in the meantime what I have been doing in trying naturally with some alternative treatment. I have started seeing an acupuncturist, was seeing her every week in the beginning but now just every 2 weeks. I had thought that since we are unexplained according to Western medicine, perhaps she might be able to diagnose what is wrong according to TCM, but she also said that everything seems pretty fine. The only thing was that she said I might have some blood deficiency, because my periods are always very light, and I also had a few symptoms of Speen Qi deficiency and Kidney Yang, but just a couple here and there, which isnt serious. So she cam been working to help stimulate blood blow to the uterus and ovaries, to improve their function and restore the general balance of the body. By improving the blood flow, hopefully it will help me to have a healthier menstrual flow and also help build a nice healthy lining to aid in implantation

In addition to that, I have been taking wheatgrass, coenzymeQ10 and dong quai. I have been trying to eat healthier, avoiding too much processed foods, sugar and white flour especially. I have also been avoiding cold foods and drinks and drink Red Raspberry Leaf Tea daily. I do a hot foot soak in the evening, which is supposed to improve blood flow to the uterus as well. I also started doing 4 basic poses of fertility yoga, although now I am down to just one daily, the viparita karani, the legs up the wall pose, which is basically also to help with the same goal of increasing blood flow to the reproductive organs

So! thats about it! Sorry for the long boring details!!!! Two months have already passed since my calendar and I am just two months away now from my IVM appointment. I am almost at the end of my cycle for November, so would loooove looooove loooove to not see AF for maaany maaaaany more months!!!!!!!!!! But if I am not able to conceive naturally on my own, I would expect a period within a week, and then another towards the end of December and then finally end of January I will be able to start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, wishing all the best to all you ladies. I really do hope that by this time next year, we will all be sitting typing with a baby in one arm Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
  • KennyandFooty likes this

Me: 32, DH: 34

Unexplained Infertility

Nov 2010: IUI#1 -BFN

Jan.& Feb '11: IUI#2,3 -BFN

Mar: Polyp in uterus

Apr: Hysteroscopy & Polypectomy.Pathology normal

May-July: IUI #4,5,6 -BFN

Aug-Jan'12: Trying naturally, with acupuncture, fertility yoga, herbal supplements

IVM#1: Feb 2012

ER: Feb.7: 9 eggs retrieved, 6 mature(d), 2 fertilized

ET: Feb.10: 4-cell day2 embryo and 5-cell day3 embryo

BFN

IVF#1: April 2012

ER: April 4th: 14 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 5 fertilized

ET: Apr9. day5 transfer of 1 blast, 2 more frozen

BFN

FET #1: ET Sept 7th 2012

Transferred one d5 blast

Beta Sept 18 --BFP!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You God!!!! aH

Viability Scan: Oct 2nd. Heartbeat viewed, everything normal!

Anatomy Scan: Jan 14th. Its a boy!!

DD: May 25th, 2013
May 17th, 2013. Emergency C-section. Baby is here!! aH What did my arms do before they held him, what did my heart do with its love!! Thank You God!!! aH

Round 2: Project Sibling!

IVF#1 November 2014

ER: 21 eggs retrieved, 19 mature. 9 fertilized. 3 frozen

Transfer delayed because of OHSS

FET#1: February 2015. 1 blast transferred = BFN

FET#2: May 2015. 1 blast transferred =  BFN

FET#3: Sept..Transfer cancelled, blast didnt survive thawing

IVF#2 January 2016

ER: 19 eggs retrieved, 17 mature, 11 fertilized

6 ice babies: 4 day5 blasts and 2 day6 blasts

FET#1: April 2016 = BFN

May-July: Lupron & Letrozole

FET#2: Aug 2016 = BFP!!!!!!! Thank You God aH aH

"There are two ways to live, one is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"- Albert Einstein

#6 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:03 AM

I think Dr. Holzer is the only one I haven't met there yet! I've pretty much been with everyone else (sound like a McGill slut!) haha
I've seen him around though!

Dr. Roux is one that is growing on me as well. I do like her, I just wish she was more...assertive. She is actually the one who thought she found our ectopic the first time (3 days before it became an emergency), but was sort of "overruled" by the attending (I'll not post the name...as I know a few people who have this RE). I know as a Fellow or Resident...they must follow a certain authoritative protocol...but...anyways...it is what it is.

Like you, I really don't see my RE THAT often...but he always makes sure to put notes on my file so that he is kept informed about my status (for whatever I may be dealing with at any particular moment). That always reassures me...and my confidence in him was absolutely solidified after this last round of bad luck we experienced. He was checking in on us from Florida, and was able to come home and perform my surgery himself. He's a wonderful, sympathetic, honest doctor. I love that. He is really the reason we continue to cycle at McGill.

Aww...the comment about the U/S area makes me kinda misty! I know that feeling so well...waiting outside in that same area as couples leave holding their little black and whites! One day...we'll be doing that! It is bittersweet though...but it offers hope (if you can find it).

AFM this week...I've come down with an awful cold/flu. Ew. I'm off work for the next two days, so I'm gonna rest up and let this rundown body recover some more!
Hope you're doing great! And hope to hear from you soon!

EDITTED: Just saw that my old pal PaleSpring has joined us, and wanted to thank you Pale, for your post and history. It was not boring AT ALL! I did have a question though. From what I just read, you were scheduled to cycle this past September, and from our other thread, I remember that it did not work(?) What kind of cycle did you do in September? Or did you just cancel it to move onto IVM?

I LOVE the idea of us all, in one year, typing back and forth with a baby in our arms. :D That is the kind of stuff that keeps me going!

TTC 4+ years

2 frosties waiting

#7 PaleSpring

PaleSpring
  • Global 100+
  • 949 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

Hey there! Oh sorry maybe I didnt explain it properly. I wasnt cycling in Sept 2011, I just had my actual calendar appointment in then. I think my post sounded like my calendar was in Jan 2011 and I was scheduled to cycle in Sept 2011. But actually what I meant was that in January thats when I called to make my calendar appointment and got it for Septmeber 2011, and so in Sept when I went, they scheduled my IVM for Jan 2012. This will be my first cycle of in vitro

I wanted to ask you about the Preg-Vit5 you are taking. I am taking Sisu Multipexpecting, which my acupuncturist recommended and then I take extra folic acid on the side, because the prenatal has just 1 mg and the nurse at the IVF orientation said to take between 1-5mg. It just seems like I am taking SOO many pills these days so I want to switch to a prenatal that doesnt require the extra folic. Is Preg-Vit5 covered by insurance? Thanks

Unexplained Infertility

Aug-Jan'12: Trying naturally, with acupuncture, fertility yoga, herbal supplements

BFN

BFN

Transferred one d5 blast

May 17th, 2013. Emergency C-section. Baby is here!! aH What did my arms do before they held him, what did my heart do with its love!! Thank You God!!! aH

IVF#1 November 2014

IVF#2 January 2016

"There are two ways to live, one is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"- Albert Einstein

#8 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

Hey! Thanks for clarifying...that is exactly what I thought the initial post was...January - scheduled for September...but it's MUCH clearer now! I totally thought you had done some InVitro already! Wow...this will be your first. Exciting and scary huh?! Well...we're here for you!

As for the PregVit-5...it is the one with 5mg of folic acid (which is one reason I chose to go ahead and make the switch - I was taking the Life Brand Materna) On my previous prenatal, I found I was getting more and more constipated (sorry TMI) the longer I took it. This last year in particular (have been taking a prenatal for about 3 years). Dr. B prescribed the PregVit-5 along with both my prescriptions for all my IVF meds...so this time, I decided to try it out. The vitamin is expensive ($50/month)...but fortunately my insurance DID cover 100% of it. So...once I called my insurance company and they confirmed that...there was no doubt I would switch (though truthfully, with the benefits I am seeing already...I would have made the switch anyway).
The PregVit is SOOO much easier on my stomach, and in just one week, since I started taking it (it's separated into two pills - one you take on an empty stomach in the morning with water; the other you take with your evening meal)...things have regulated again and I'm feeling quite good despite this nasty cold. If you have extended medical, give them a call to see if you're covered. Totally worth it in my mind. A friend of mine has also begun taking it, and her insurance covers all but $10 per month.

Because PregVit IS two pills...I'm not sure it would reduce the number of supplements and such you'll be taking overall...but...its still worth the consideration in my opinion!

TTC 4+ years

2 frosties waiting

#9 marslo

marslo
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

Kenny, it sounds like you have a great RE. I hope that Dr. Holzer will be that involved in our file if we have to do IVF. I had one Fellow consult him during my last IUI, but overall I think they're on their own with the IUIs. I'm sorry that you're sick this week, but it's good that you could take some time off.

PaleSpring, I found your story really interesting. I was wondering about the possibility of continuing the IUIs while waiting for IVF. I'm not sure that's what I want, but it's good to know that McGill will allow its patients the option. I don't know much about IVM, but I'm interested to learn more. I see that you're unexplained, like me. Sometimes I wonder if a diagnosis would be better, but I know to be careful what I wish for because at least we still have hope. IF is such a mind****. I will wish for you not to see AF for many many months.

AFM, I am so down these days. I feel as though I suck all the energy out of the room. I've been avoiding people a lot lately, so I decided for this cycle I'm going to do the opposite and try to be as social as possible. Physically, I've been feeling absolutely terrible - exhausted, achy, back ache. I wonder if I actually have a little bug or if it's the Gonal F. Have you ever heard of these types of symptoms? I didn't feel this bad physically my previous two cycles. I did a fertility yoga DVD yesterday, which made my back feel SO much better. And the good news is that the nausea stopped almost immediately after I stopped the Preg Vit. I'm sorry to whine like this. It's not like me to be this negative. I don't feel like myself at all these days.

#10 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

IF is such a mind****.

I think this about sums up the situation my dear marslo!

The exhaustion you are feeling, and general unwellness COULD be related to a med, or supplement, but in my own experience and opinion, it is probably far more likely that...like me...you're a depressed. Depression for many, manifests in just an overall crappy feeling - including extreme fatigue.

Last Friday...when I got home from work that night...I felt...completely overwhelmed. I wasn't feeling well (AGAIN), my husband wanted to go out for dinner and I said I couldn't do it (AGAIN). Before I even knew what was happening...I was sobbing, sitting on the stairs just uncontrolled emotion.
After my husband discovered how upset I had become (just a general feeling that I was letting him down, that I was gonna feel like crap forever, etc), we had a long talk in between sobs. That night, I realized that...the fatigue and isolation I was feeling was Depression. I don't know if I've ever really been depressed before, but...I am. I'm doing a lot better these days...I've talked with Dr. Takefman at the Royal Vic (Fertility Psychologist) and it helped a lot. I think just talking out loud about it...helps a lot.
Though we like to allow ourselves the title of Superwoman some days...It's SO important to recognize and acknowledge what our bodies, our hearts and our minds are going through...throughout IF. Take some time to just allow yourself to acknowledge all your feelings. If you need to talk with anyone...ever...I'm just a click away. And Dr. Takefman is great.

Again, it could be a medicine issue...but infertility takes a lot of you mentally. and physically. Don't be afraid to explore that as well.

p.s. As a rule on this thread, I think we should impose a "No worry" rule. Never worry that you are whining or being "too" negative. It doesn't exist when it comes to IF...and that is what we're all here for. To hear about the ups...and all the downs!

Have a lovely day ladies! xx

TTC 4+ years

2 frosties waiting

#11 PaleSpring

PaleSpring
  • Global 100+
  • 949 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

Marslo *hugs* I agree with KennyandFooty, no need to apologize for saying whats on your mind. This is a safe, comfortable zone, just say whatever you need to and know that we are all here to help and support one another and be here for each other

IF is such a journey, its such a rollar coaster. Do whatever you need to for yourself, to take care of yourself, to nurture yourself and keep yourself in a good place. Sometimes you need to be with people. Sometimes you dont feel like seeing anyone. Thats normal and thats totally fine. Dont push yourself if you dont feel comfortable. Find things that give your heart peace, contentment, and keep busy in those things. Take time for yourself each day. Take time to reconnect with your partner. When you need a break, take a break. Just focus on yourself and keeping yourself healthy, strong, positive

I hope you're feeling better soon. I never had any side effects on my injections, so I dont know if its that. Ive also been feeling a bit under the weather these past days, headaches, body aches, fatigue, sinus problems etc, and do suspect there is a bug going around

KennyandFooty, thanks for the info on the PregVit. I will call my insurance company and check what they will cover. Even with the two pills its still a cut back for me, since my Sisu is also twice daily and then I take extra folic on top. Hope you are also feeling better soon and enjoy your days off from work!

Hugs, kisses and best wishes xoxoxoxoxoxo

Unexplained Infertility

BFN

BFN

Transferred one d5 blast

IVF#1 November 2014

IVF#2 January 2016

#12 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

How is everyone doing today!?

Isn't it gorgeous outside? I have to admit...I love the snow...but now that most of it has melted, I think I am going to finish decorating outside and enjoy the fresh air. Hmmm...maybe I'll go for a walk to see if I can find some last christmas presents also and get them wrapped. All our families are back in Alberta...and we need to get their parcels ready for shipping! I love the holidays!

Well...hope you're all doing great! Talk to you soon!

TTC 4+ years

2 frosties waiting

#13 marslo

marslo
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

You ladies are so sweet! I just hate to introduce myself with complaints, but I really appreciate the space to express myself. After I posted yesterday, it occurred to me that I was listing symptoms of depression. I do have a history of depression and anxiety, so I need to be careful. I'm not going to worry about it right now, but I will be mindful of it if these feelings persist. I'm still tired today, but maybe a little less?

I'm sad that the snow melted! It is so romantic. But I like the warm weather too. We got totally ambushed by family today, so I had no time to be in my head. We have another busy day with family tomorrow - I have no clue how we're ever going to be ready for Christmas! I hope you got lots of good shopping done Kennyandfooty. I have packages to get off too and I haven't even started!

I have my day 9 u/s Monday. I'm trying not to worry too much. My left ovary does not like stims and aches a lot, but it hasn't meant anything in previous cycles so I'm trying not to pay attention. The over-emotional ridiculousness has started a bit - I cried because kitties are in the shelter over American Thanksgiving! Lol. My poor husband.

I've had more wine this cycle than I usually allow myself. I'm trying not to feel too guilty. Hope you're having a great evening. Go Habs go!!!

#14 PaleSpring

PaleSpring
  • Global 100+
  • 949 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

Hello ladies. Day 29 today. Usually I always get my period on day 28, after a day or so of light spotting. So when d28 came and went without the slightest of spots I allowed my heart to hope and dream and soar...only to wake up this morning to spotting. So I guess AF is on its way. My house is such a mess, but I dont feel like cleaning or doing anything except lying in bed all day with a book and a box of chocolates

Unexplained Infertility

BFN

BFN

Transferred one d5 blast

IVF#1 November 2014

IVF#2 January 2016

#15 marslo

marslo
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

PaleSpring, I'm so sorry that AF seems to be on her way, and especially after you got your hopes up. I will hope it's a false alarm. Take care of yourself.

I'm pretty upset today. I had my CD9 u/s, which showed one 21 mm follie. This is almost exactly what happened our first IUI. What is the point of stims if I'm only going to get one follicle out of it???? The worst part is that last time I was on 100IU of gonal-f for six days, then did three days of 75IU and I got two follies. It also took way longer for the follicles to grow, which meant my lining had more time to grow and I there was some mention of getting better eggs when it takes them longer to mature. But Dr. Roux insisted on putting me back down to 75IU, even though I questioned her about why since last cycle had been pretty much best-case scenario. The Dr. I saw today basically asked why my dose had been changed. Posted Image I hate that if I'd fallen on a different doctor on CD2 I would have a better chance of getting pregnant! I am really pissed and feel helpless.

#16 marjory

marjory
  • 19 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me joining in - I am very new to all of this but excited to get things underway.

Our story is that my hubby had a vasectomy before he met me and then a reversal about 18 months ago. At first the numbers were good, then they dropped off dramatically, then they picked up again. We are waiting for the results of his latest SA - fingers crossed they are good but it all seems a bit unpredictable so we have frozen a sample as a backup too.

Then there's me. I came off the pill a year ago so we could start TTC but didn't have a period for 9 months! Around the same time, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and the meds for that eventually helped me to start ovulating again. At our last appointment with Dr Holzer he mentioned that he also saw polycystic ovaries on my ultrasound (need to ask him more about that next time). So we have a lot to contend with!

So the current plan is that we'll do a few rounds of IUI in the new year and then if that doesn't work we'll go to IVF. I have the HSG scheduled for the end of this week so that we can check that it's worth us doing the IUIs. I'm a bit nervous about that but happy to be inching closer to getting things started.

Good luck to everyone!

#17 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

Oh ladies...not a lot of positive news here! PaleSpring...I'm sorry AF has reared her ugly head again. There are no nice ways to sugar coat that one except...it sucks...but maybe you can enjoy an eggnog and rum guilt free! I really am sorry though.

marslo...This is SO frustrating! Posted Image
I completely understand how angry and frustrated you must be. If I were you, I would request an appointment with Dr. Holzer. At the appointment, express your obvious frustration - first the change in protocol, then the questioning the change in protocol - tell him you want it noted on your file to follow the protocol that worked best for you. Surely, something can be done! At least, you can bring him in the loop...and see what he says.
I'm hoping that your IUI is a go regardless...and that one beautiful follie has a little egg just waiting to be fertilized!

marjory...my dear! Posted Image
You do have some contenders there...but I think you're in the right hands! I'm hoping the HSG goes well for you and comes back showing your tubes looking nice and healthy. It's absolutely the next best move in determining which method of treatment is best for you.
I've also go my fingers crossed your DH's SA comes back with those great numbers again.
All the best to you throughout your diagnostics...and hopefully you can get started on the suitable treatment ASAP! Keep us posted how you guys make out!

AFM...feeling pretty good this week. Done all my christmas shopping (early this year) and will finish packaging everything up to ship by the weekend. It's my DH's 30th birthday next Tuesday, and I will be treating him to a dinner out at Magpie (Pizzeria)! Looking forward to a date night!
Can't really believe Christmas is only 27 days away! The time since my IVF in September has literally flown by...

Hope everyone else is doing well. Have a great night!

xx

TTC 4+ years

2 frosties waiting

#18 PaleSpring

PaleSpring
  • Global 100+
  • 949 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

PaleSpring, I'm so sorry that AF seems to be on her way, and especially after you got your hopes up. I will hope it's a false alarm. Take care of yourself.

I'm pretty upset today. I had my CD9 u/s, which showed one 21 mm follie. This is almost exactly what happened our first IUI. What is the point of stims if I'm only going to get one follicle out of it???? The worst part is that last time I was on 100IU of gonal-f for six days, then did three days of 75IU and I got two follies. It also took way longer for the follicles to grow, which meant my lining had more time to grow and I there was some mention of getting better eggs when it takes them longer to mature. But Dr. Roux insisted on putting me back down to 75IU, even though I questioned her about why since last cycle had been pretty much best-case scenario. The Dr. I saw today basically asked why my dose had been changed. ../..//public/style_emoticons/default/eusa_wall.gif I hate that if I'd fallen on a different doctor on CD2 I would have a better chance of getting pregnant! I am really pissed and feel helpless.

Thank you Marslo. I only had one brown spot [sorry TMI] yesterday, so I was also starting to think maybe it wasnt my period afterall.......but it started regularly this morning. Surprised that it was 2 days late, that usually never happens to me. Oh well

Im sorry your cycle isnt going as you had hoped. I see you are also unexplained, so I assume you are ovulating naturally and release an egg anyways each month. It was the exact same with me. We are unexplained but I never had any problems ovulating on my own. I took Clomid for 4 months and each time I had 2-3 nice size follicles. But on my 4 months of Puregon, I would consistently only get one follicle over 20 and the rest were all under 15. It used to irritate me sooo much, that I am going through all this time, hassle and expense of the injections and then the IUI and at the end I am pretty much in the same place I would have been anyways, ovulating with only one egg released. Because I have a high antral follicle count, I always had a lot of smaller ones, like at least 3-4 in the 12-15 range and many more under 12, so my doctor didnt want to ever increase me past a dose of 75 iu, and she said even with one over 20 and one at 15 is still a very good response. Anyways. For this cycle, just try to stay positive and remember, it only takes one!! May your 21 mm follicle be nurtured and matured and go on to become a beautiful, healthy baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess your IUI is within a few days, wishing you all the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unexplained Infertility

BFN

BFN

Transferred one d5 blast

IVF#1 November 2014

IVF#2 January 2016

#19 PaleSpring

PaleSpring
  • Global 100+
  • 949 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

Welcome Marjory! Hope you get some great results back from the SA and the HSG. If you are only planning to try a few IUIs before switching to IVF, then it may be a good idea to call for your calendar from now, just in case. Hopefully you will not need it and will conceive before then either naturally or through the IUI, but should you require to go further, then it might be helpful to have it lined up in advance to save you an unnecessarily long wait time

KennyandFooty, thanks for the support. Actually I dont drink..but hey, at least I can enjoy my sushi still hahaha. My birthday is coming up in a few weeks and there is lovely sushi place in Centropolis Laval I wanted to go to. Im glad to hear you are feeling good this week and have finished your holiday preps. Happy early birthday to your husband and enjoy your date night and celebration with him! The pies at Magpie look so delish, I have to try it sometime!

Unexplained Infertility

BFN

BFN

Transferred one d5 blast

IVF#1 November 2014

IVF#2 January 2016

#20 LittleMissMuffin

LittleMissMuffin
  • Cyclebase
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Ancient Roman history, cooking and baking, yoga, horror movies and TV series, teaching languages
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:McGill Reproductive Centre (Montreal)

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

Dear all,

May I join?

I am also at McGill repro, but I haven't started on my IVF cycle yet.

Hugs on this rainy day,
Tanya Me: 41; DH: 45 Dx: unicornuate uterus + MF IVF (December 12 - February 10, 2012) = BFN Long protocol: BCP (Marvelon), Suprefact, Gonal-F (300x2), Luveris (150x2) Collection (ER): 9 eggs retrieved Fertilization report: 3 eggs fertilized Transfer (ET): 3 embryos: two grade 1 (almost perfect) and one grade 3 (medium quality) IVF 2.0 (May 16 - July 6, 2012) = BFN Long protocol: Suprefact (5U), Gonal-F (300x2), Luveris (75) Collection (ER):4 eggs; Fertilization report: 3 matured and fertilized Transfer (ET): one 8-cell embryo IVM (March 28 - May 10, 2013) = BFP January 17, 2013: Hysterescopy: Removed a polyp and a fibroma; April 6: ER, 4 eggs, 2 mature and fertilized; April 9: 2 embryos transferred; April 22: Beta (87.3); April 25: Beta (269); May 3-10: Betas and viability scans; May 10: Ectopic pregnancy IVF 3.0 (October 27- November 29, 2013) = cancelled due to lack of response to meds IVM 2.0 (January 13, 2014-February 8, 2014) BFN

#21 marslo

marslo
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

Thanks KennyandFooty and PaleSpring. I am trying to just move on from the disappointment - stressing about this or being angry is just a waste of energy, so I'm looking forward for now. I've been having significant cramping the last two days, which I've never had at this time of my cycle. Exactly like AF. It's weirding me out. I have painful ovulation, and this is completely different. Anyone ever heard of this? Is it a side effect? If I don't get pregnant this time, I am going to meet with Dr. Holzer again and get on the waiting list for IVF. I also intend to do at least one more IUI with the correct protocol. I keep trying to remember that I have a ton of options still open to me. My mantra right now is that it only takes one egg. My insemination is tomorrow. I'm trying to decide what to do after. I've lain around after my last two, and that didn't make any difference. Maybe I should go straight to the gym this time! Any suggestions?

KennyandFooty, I'm glad you're feeling good. Enjoy it - you deserve it!

PaleSpring, sorry about AF, but I'm glad you get to eat sushi. Hopefully not for too much longer!

And welcome to marjory and LittleMissMuffin. Glad to have more people join! Good luck on your HSG marjory, I hope you get good news. And LittleMissMuffin, it looks like you'll be starting to cycle soon. Who is your RE? Are you excited to get started?

#22 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:51 PM

Welcome LittleMissMuffin!! You must be getting anxious for December to hurry up and get here already! I hope your cycle goes well! Do you know what protocol you'll be following and what meds you'll be on?

PaleSpring...mmmmmm....sushi! :D Enjoy that while you can for sure! :D I'll report back about how MagPie is! I've heard great reviews from friends...so I'm hoping my husband will love it!

Marslo...you have a great attitude and I'm still wishing you all the best on this upcoming IUI. It really does take just one...and maybe this will be the lucky one! I can't respond to the cramping issue...but surely if you are concerned or they get worse, definitely give the nurses line a call!

Hope you all managed to enjoy this dreary day! It was quite chilly tonight on the walk home!

TTC 4+ years

2 frosties waiting

#23 PaleSpring

PaleSpring
  • Global 100+
  • 949 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

Marslo, hope your insemination goes well today, wishing you all the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Normally when I did mine, I just tried to take it easy for at least a day or two..just in case. Would just come home and lay down with my legs up against the wall hahaha. If you do go to the gym, I guess just try to keep it light, nothing too strenuous perhaps. I hope you have a happy, swift, STRESSFREE TTW and a beautiful positive beta result!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take care xoxox

Unexplained Infertility

BFN

BFN

Transferred one d5 blast

IVF#1 November 2014

IVF#2 January 2016

#24 PaleSpring

PaleSpring
  • Global 100+
  • 949 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:56 PM

I dont know what happened to me yesterday, I was watching a video on youtube...and then one video lead to another...and before I knew it, I was watching video after video of surprise pregnancy announcement videos [like couples announcing to their families]. I was just sitting there sobbing, watching them, praying for the moment when we would be there and be able to experience that. Finally I pulled myself away and forced myself to stop watching them. This morning I heard news that the young son of a dear friend is in the hospital, very seriously ill, just came out of a major surgery and not recovering well....the poor child has had numerous surgeries in the past and spent so much time in the hospital. It just reminded me that we have so much to be thankful for, so much that we take for granted each day. Whatever happens, happens, whatever is meant to happen, will happen. I just pray that I will be able to get through all this with the best state of mind and heart, and never lose sight of all I have been blessed with and be able to stay strong and positive and always make the most of life, in whatever state I am in. Wishing everyone a beautiful day and so much happiness, health, love, serenity and success xoxoxox

Unexplained Infertility

BFN

BFN

Transferred one d5 blast

IVF#1 November 2014

IVF#2 January 2016

#25 marslo

marslo
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

PaleSpring, I am sorry to hear about your rough day yesterday. IF is so hard! You have a great attitude though. Although IF is hard and awful and lonely, it has made me so aware of all the wonderful blessings in my life. Sometimes I think I've used up all the good fortune I was allotted in life and that's why I can't get pregnant! I hope you have a better day today and that things start to look up for your friend's son.

AFM, I am now officially inseminated! Thanks for the good wishes ladies. Such a long morning - so much waiting!!! But it's done! I had Dr. Hymen (sp?). She is lovely. I had only seen her once before but she remembered me and said she was happy to be doing my insemination. It makes such a difference to have such a nice Dr. I am having a lot of cramping and pressure, which I didn't have the last two times. Hopefully a good sign. I'm working on the couch this afternoon and I might take a nap! I feel so positive, so I'm embracing it.

Hope EOE is doing well. Flurries tonight - yay!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: McGill, Royal Victoria, Montreal