New here. Low AMH and high fsh. Now what - Decreased Ovarian Reserve (DOR) - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

New here. Low AMH and high fsh. Now what

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cornsilkp

cornsilkp
  • 61 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

I'm 32 years old and recently got this diagnosis which was completely devastating. My current doctor recommended doing nothing for 3 months but trying on our own and taking DHEA and CoQ10. After 3 months we'd reevaluate. I'm not entirely sure what that means in regards to future treatment.

I do already has a 2 year old that was conceived easily and we've now been trying for #2 for 18 months.

I'm planning on getting a second opinion but thought I'd see what you ladies thought. Is doing nothing for now reasonable? I feel like if my age is on my side, as the doctor stated, that we should take advantage of it. But maybe im just being impatient.

Thoughts would be appreciated.
Me: 32
DH: 40

One DD - 2.5

Diagnosed with high FSH & low AMH

#2 conky

conky
  • Global 100+
  • 746 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:14 AM

I imagine your doctor is suggesting doing nothing but the DHEA and CoQ10 for 3 months in order to give those supplements a chance to get into your system and take effect. It takes about that long (or so it's thought) for those two to make any difference.

I'm sorry about your diagnosis! There are lots here dealing with low ovarian reserve and DHEA and CoQ10 are pretty commonly suggested. I'm 34 with low reserve and I was devastated when I found out (at 33) too. The challenge with fertility treatment is that IUI doesn't increase your odds a whole lot over just plain intercourse and the point of IVF is to give you more eggs to work with in a given cycle but with low reserve the number of eggs your can recruit is a lot more limited. There are varying degrees of low reserve, of course, and there are lots of success stories where women had low yields and still got pregnant. And of course it's not necessarily a predictor of egg quality, so I think you have plenty of reason for optimism.

I didn't use DHEA but did do 800mg of CoQ10 daily for several months and had success on our first full IVF cycle. I'd never been pregnant before in my entire life.

Good luck! You'll find lots of support here.

#3 afshi

afshi
  • Global 100+
  • 189 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:New Life

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

I am the same age with the same diagnosis. I have started taking DHEA and CoQ10, but I'm also doing IUIs (with meds and injections) in between. Even had a lap done during this time.

my SIL had the issue at 36 and took the DHEA and CoQ10. She had in ICSI 3 months later and coneived a healthy baby girl.
dh: 36

TTC since December 2009
DH: no issues
Me: mild PCOS, hypothyroidism, low ovarian reserve
Meds/Vitamins: Synthroid, PregVit

March - October 2011
Femara for 2 months: BFN
IUI #1 with Femara + Puregon (100ug)+ Accupuncture + Progesterone: BFN
FSH level = 15. (first time). Therefore on a Natural Cycle w/o meds/injections: BFN
IUI #2 with Femara + CoQ10 (400mg) + Puregon (150ug): BFN
Natural Cycle with DHEA + CoQ10: BFN
Laparoscopy Results: minor endo - all clear
Natural Cycle with Femara + CoQ10 (400mg) + DHEA (75mg): BFN
IUI #3 with Clomid + Puregon (150ug) + CoQ10 (400mg) + DHEA (75mg) + Estrace + Progesterone: BFN

Taking 2 months off but still Taking CoQ10 (400mg) + DHEA (50mg)

February 2012
IVF/ICSI with Puregon (300ug) + CoQ10 (400mg) + DHEA (50mg) + Cetrotide + Repronex (75iu)
Ovidril - Feb 11 2012
ER - Feb 13 2012: 19 follicles retreived > 12 mature > 9 fertilized with ICSI
RE decided to do a FET next cycle
3dpER - all 9 embryos look "great". At least 7 embryos are 8 Cell, Grade 1 with No Fragmentation. (Praise the Lord)
5dpER - froze 6 embryos and their quality is 3AA x 2, 2AA x 2, early blast, 3BB
Will be doing a Natural FET in March 2012

#4 cornsilkp

cornsilkp
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for your replies. It is a difficult diagnosis and I am sorry that any of us have to go through this!

I guess in some of the reading I have been doing it seems like doctors are more agressive than just a holistic approach. I asked about IUI and he again told me no, although I know its about a 3 month wait so I am not sure why I could not be put on the list now. I was also basically told that IVF was not a good option as my eggs would do better inside than outside. Again, I am not really sure why this was his opinion as it seems that some women do have success with IVF and at this point my age is in my favour.

I do plan on getting a second opinion. It just all seems to take some long and I am only starting to learn how to nagivate our health care system when it comes to fertility.

One DD - 2.5

#5 conky

conky
  • Global 100+
  • 746 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

Where are you located?

Unless your numbers are extremely low, I'm surprised a doctor would tell you trying IUI and especially IVF aren't worthwhile.

#6 cornsilkp

cornsilkp
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:32 PM

I'm located near Sarnia and the clinic is in London. My AMH number is 8.9 and fsh was at 11. I did have an AFC done but I'm not sure of the exact numbers.

One DD - 2.5

#7 conky

conky
  • Global 100+
  • 746 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

I've heard of much lower AMH and much higher FSH. I hope you can get a second opinion! Of course IVF isn't anyone's first choice, but you at least want a doctor who is willing to explore options with you.

There's a forum for poor responders in the Area 51 section. Unfortunately I don't remember the password, but you can get a lot of info from people with similar situations there. I'm sure someone else will be along to this thread who can provide it if you want to check it out.

#8 cornsilkp

cornsilkp
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

Yes, I want some options! He basically sold me some pills and told me to go home and keep trying. And while I realize a natural bfp isn't impossible, it's not very likely either.

One DD - 2.5

#9 tigerlady

tigerlady
  • 1000+
  • 2596 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Centre

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:22 AM

I dont have any wise words, I just wanted to welcome you to IVF.CA and wish you the best! Posted Image

Hugs
Anne
Anne
IVF.CA Team

Me 34 DH 50 TTC 5 Years, 2 Ectopic, one tube removed one blocked.. many miscarriages and grief later 1 Laparotomy, 1 Laprascopy
IVF#1
Dec 9, 2008 start BCP Dec 20,2008 Start Suprefact Jan 2, 2009 start Puregon....wooohooo good-bye Suprefact headaches
23 Follicles, 20 growing I am starting to feel like I will burst!!! ER: Jan 14Thank god thats over with!!!!!! 11 Eggs retrieved - 9 Fertilized
ET - Jan 17 930 am - transferred 2 8cell grade 3.5 embryos,,, 2 to Freeze :-)) Beta Jan 28- 113 Beta Jan 30- 339 Beta Feb 2- 1570 DUE DATE Oct 8, 2009 u/s feb 9 One baby!
2nd u/s Feb 20 143 HB! All is well, no more trips to OFC! ITS A GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shelby-Anne Darcy was born on Sept 17, 2009 at 1920hrs weighing 7lbs5oz!!!! My beautiful little miracle!!

IVF #2 - Consult Mar 17, 2010!! March 29 - Baseline ultrasound - 26 Follicles Woohoo STarted BCP April 28 Suprefact May 8 225iu Puregon May 21 ER: June 2 11 Eggs retrieved!! Only 6 fertilized ET: June 5 2 embies 8 cell grade 4 and 8 cell grade 3 POAS-a-thon begins June 14 - Beta:June 18 BFP - thought it was miscarriage - nope, thought it was ectopic--no..dont think so, something in the uterus......the suspense.....
MISCARRIAGE :-(

IVF#3 Nov 21 start Suprefact, Dec 3 Puregon ----- stay tuned - transferred 2 perfect eggs on Day 3
We are pregnant!! WOohoo Beta 3025 JAN - One perfect bean measuring a week ahead and a beautiful heartbeat!
Mitchell Robert Alphonse Cormier was born August 02, 2011 at 2014 hrs weighing 6 pounds, 6 ounces~

#10 Faith&Hope

Faith&Hope
  • Cyclebase
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

Yes, I want some options! He basically sold me some pills and told me to go home and keep trying. And while I realize a natural bfp isn't impossible, it's not very likely either.

I responded to you in the London clinic thread.... but just wanted to also say that there is still lots of hope! Natural BFPs in women with DOR do happen.... so you actually don't know that it's "not very likely"! I know that the diagnosis of DOR is so scary, and it's hard to be optimistic, but just try to stay positive and hopeful.

After all, as I mentioned in the other thread, I don't know if DOR is something that happens overnight - I wonder if it is possible that you had an element of DOR prior to conceiving your first child (since it was only 2 years ago?), but yet you were still successful!

Yes, 2 years later, ovarian reserve is probably a bit lower, but I don't want to think that it drops that dramatically in that short period of time?

HUGS! Posted Image
2009-2010 - TTC #1 Dx - Combined - DOR diagnosed at age 32: AMH 10.7 pmol/L (1.5 ng/ml), high FSH (highest FSH 27.3), low AFC; and MFI: >95% anti-sperm antibodies/oligoasthenoteratozoospermia)

IVF-ICSI#1 Jul/Aug 2011: (Me: 33, DH 37) Natural start antagonist protocol with Menopur 300 IU daily, Orgalutran. FSH 15, AFC 10, 7 eggs retrieved, 3 suitable for ICSI, 2 fertilized, 2 grade 1 embryos transferred on day 3.
Presumed ectopic, required methotrexate.

IVF-ICSI#2 attempt 1 - Jan/Feb 2012: Estrogen priming with Antagonist protocol - cancelled (high day 3 FSH 27.3 and unable to get an AFC).

IVF-ICSI#2 attempt 2 - Feb/Mar 2012: Microdose Lupron flare protocol with Puregon 300 IU + Menopur 150 IU daily. FSH 19, AFC 7, 6 eggs retrieved, 3 suitable for ICSI, 1 fertilized, but abnormally, transfer cancelled.

IVF-ICSI#3 - May/June/July 2012: OCP/low stim dose/Antagonist protocol.
May 26/12: started OCP (Cyclen-21) until June 16/12
June 20/12: baseline - FSH 21.7, E2 59 pmol/L, AFC 4 (right) +? (left - unable to see left ovary), started Puregon 150 IU + Luveris 75 IU daily
July 3/12: ER - 4 eggs retrieved, but only 2 suitable for ICSI
July 5/12: both eggs fertilized! (one 2-cell and one 4-cell embryo growing)
July 6/12: ET - 3dt of 2 embryos (one 4-cell and one 5-cell - both grade 1)
July 18/12: early beta 12dp3dt - 156
July 20/12: repeat beta 14dp3dt - 446.7 (doubling time ~32 hours)
Aug 10/12: first ultrasound - one heartbeat detected, little one measuring appropriately!
March 28, 2013 - our miracle daughter has arrived!

2014 - TTC#2 - back to the FC Apr/14, started on CoQ10 and DHEA, preparing for IVF-ICSI#4 in August
Aug 7/14 - surprise natural BFP (despite severe combined infertility diagnoses)
Aug 28/14 - viability u/s - heartbeat detected
April 4, 2015 - our second miracle daughter has arrived!

#11 aprilbaby

aprilbaby
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

AGE IS ON YOUR SIDE! DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT HIGH FSH. YOU ARE FINE. i HAD A HIGH FSH AND LOVE AFC AT 33 AND CONCIEVED WITH ICSI. BABY BOY IS 11 MONTHS NOW. MY PROBLEM WAS NEVER HIGH FSH AS WE HAD IF FROM 8 YEARS BEFORE AND FSH WAS VERY LOW. GOOD DOCS DONT EVEN REALLY LOOK AT FSH AS A INDICATOR OF SUCCESS ONLY TO DOSE THE DRUGS.

BTW, I DID A NATURAL IVF CYCLE... NO DRUGS!
  • gibasgirl likes this

#12 cornsilkp

cornsilkp
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

After all, as I mentioned in the other thread, I don't know if DOR is something that happens overnight - I wonder if it is possible that you had an element of DOR prior to conceiving your first child (since it was only 2 years ago?), but yet you were still successful!

Yes, 2 years later, ovarian reserve is probably a bit lower, but I don't want to think that it drops that dramatically in that short period of time?

HUGS! [img]

I've wondered about this, if getting my daughter so easily was a fluke. Regardless, I know I am incredibly blessed to have her. The only thing I've noticed differently since having her is that my periods are much shorter and lighter than they used to be. I did mention this to the doctor but of course he has no idea what my levels were 3 years ago.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this and support. It means a lot and I wish each one of you the very best.

One DD - 2.5

#13 SLJ

SLJ
  • Cyclebase
  • 98 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

I'm also 32 and my last FSH was 10.4 with an AFC 10 ... Unfortunately we had our IVF cycle cancelled due to poor response to be meds. I'm waiting for my results for AMH but the RE said anything less then 2, i would need donor eggs. I'm super worried ...

Dx: Male Factor, DOR
TTC since Dec. 2010

IVF#1 - Oct '11 - converted to IUI - BFN

IVF#1 (take 2) - Dec '11 - BFP
Beta 1 (9dp3dt ) -58, Beta 2 (11dpt)-178, Beta 3 (13dpt)-435, Beta 4 (15dpt) - 935 -Born Still - May 18,2012

IVF #2-4 

FET #1 - Jan '13 - Chemical

Surprise Natural Pregnancy - April 2013

#14 cornsilkp

cornsilkp
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:29 PM

SLJ, I'm sorry to hear your IVF was unsuccessful. When will you get your test results back? I'm planning on getting a second opinion on my situation. It seems that different doctors have very different opinions on what is best for patients with DOR.

One DD - 2.5

#15 SLJ

SLJ
  • Cyclebase
  • 98 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:03 AM

Thanks cornsilkp! I get my results back next week ... It feels like I'm holding my breath for every test result. I'm hoping it's high enough to progress to IVF attempt 2. Let us know how it goes with your second opinion. Best of luck!

Dx: Male Factor, DOR
TTC since Dec. 2010

IVF#1 - Oct '11 - converted to IUI - BFN

IVF#1 (take 2) - Dec '11 - BFP
Beta 1 (9dp3dt ) -58, Beta 2 (11dpt)-178, Beta 3 (13dpt)-435, Beta 4 (15dpt) - 935 -Born Still - May 18,2012

IVF #2-4 

FET #1 - Jan '13 - Chemical

Surprise Natural Pregnancy - April 2013