casou08
  • Global 100+
  • 154 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Regional Fertility Clinic

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all doing well.

Hopefulgirl: I'm glad that you were able to get laser surgery for your little guy. He sure is cute! I still haven't figured out the whole picture thing but will try when I have a bit more time.

My daughter is 6 weeks old today! I can't believe how fast the time has gone by. I am still having issues with breastfeeding which is making me a little depressed. I can't seem to get rid of the yeast on my breasts even though I have been treating them for a month. I was reading about it on the internet and some sites said to eliminate dairy, fruit and carbs. I am vegetarian so that really limits what I can eat. I am going to try to reduce my intake of these foods but I'm already having issues eating enough food for breastfeeding. I don't have much of an appetite and it seems that my daughter is always fussy at mealtime. The other issue I'm having is that my milk flows too quickly out of one breast and my daughter often chokes on it and gets very upset. Apparently as she gets older she will be able to control this better so I'm hopeful that this will go away.
Are any of you having issues with neck "cheese"? A few weeks ago when I was holding Abby I noticed that her neck was smelly and she had a build-up of "shmutz" in her folds. I have been cleaning it daily but she screams when I do this. Have any of your little ones started with wailing crying fits? Abby started a few days ago. It is so distressing to me when she does this. She cries so hard I think that she is going to choke or stop breathing. Thankfully it doesn't last long but it scares me. Abby is sleeping well. She slept for 7 hours the other night! She usually only wakes up once a night to feed which is great for me.

TTC since July 2008
March 2010-First visit to Fertility Clinic
May 2010-Laparoscopy to check for endometriosis-very mild
Oct. 2010 IUI #1 BFN
Nov. 2010 IUI #2 BFN
May 2011: IVF#1 BFP

February 16th, 2012 Abigail was born. She is our miracle baby!
January 4, 2013: FET #1 transferred 2 embryos-chemical pregnancy

March 2013: IVF #2

Beta #1: 152 Beta #2: 275 Beta #3: 1506

April 24th: 1st u/s 8 wks heartbeat:156

May 22, 2013: Fetal Echo no heartbeat. We are heartbroken.

December 13th, 2013: FET #2 transferred our last embryo. Another chemical pregnancy!

#852 frostedlemon

frostedlemon
  • 1000+
  • 1,255 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Clinic

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Casou - I know yeast is a real pain to get rid of, it's very tenacious. Silverdollar had some problems with it after her daughter was born and talked about it in the breastfeeding thread, I don't know if some of that might be helpful to you. I also have the fast flow problem and he used to choke all the time (despite using a shield, which is supposed to help with that). I found that after a few months, when my production finally went down to making just enough for him, the flow issue is a lot better. It's still fast, it's not excessively so anymore. Mine took nearly six months to do that, but I've heard others adjusting a lot faster. There are also positions for making it not flow as fast into baby's mouth, like leaning backwards so it's going against gravity, not sure if you've tried those or not.

It seems like all babies want to eat when mommy eats. I promise you, it does get a lot easier and very soon! I found the first six weeks were the hardest, and then it got easier, and then after three months (after he finished that growth spurt) it got way better because he stopped eating quite so frequently and had more of a schedule with it too so I can plan my meals around it.

For neck cheese, I've had issues with this since he got really chubby and has a double chin. Between all the extra folds there and him being a puker, I felt like I could never get it clean, plus he would get upset and squinch his chin(s) down when I tried to clean him. He grew into his fat and lost his second chin and then it became a lot easier to keep clean, but he's since put it back on with the 6 month growth spurt. I found that once he became more aware, it's a lot easier to snap my fingers above his head and he lifts his face up to look at them and then I get at it then. Maybe you've tried it already, but would putting her on her back on your legs and having her head off the end of them so it tilts back a little (maybe have someone hold her head, depending on her neck control) make it easier to access? I find that in the tub he's tilted forward a bit so getting in there is harder than when I can tilt him backwards and then it's exposed a little more easily and maybe it'll be less... whatever it is that makes her scream. Anyway, you're not alone with the neck cheese problem. I also find the creases at the tops of his legs and his armpits to be places where things gather (yum!), though those are easier to access.

Me - 34, Him - 38
See About Me for full history.
Long story short: Trying without success for four years, two m/cs, several medicated cycles including two IUIs, and too many BFNs to count.

Dec 2010 Surprise natural BFP!
All betas and ultrasounds look great.
March 25 - 18 week u/s. Everything looks perfect. It's a boy!
He arrived on Sunday, August 21, 2011. I can't believe he's ours! So grateful.

We would like a second but it will have to happen naturally. Period returned July 2012.

Nov 2013 - BFP, but faint and bleeding a few days later. Beta 23 and then down to non-pregnant levels. Things are back to "normal", apparently.

Visit my blog at: http://frostedlemonc....wordpress.com/

#853 geniegirl

geniegirl
  • Global 100+
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Reading - novels, non-fiction, poetry, self-help, anything/ writing - diaries, journalism, fiction/ family/ dinners, dinner parties, good friends, good conversation/ how to live a balanced life
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

hi everyone - it's been too long. But the isolation has been killing me a bit! Gotta get reconnected with my friends here at ivf.ca. It truly is hard to believe that 6 weeks have passed.

Does anyone here have twins???

#854 casou08

casou08
  • Global 100+
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

Thanks so much for your advice Frostedlemon. Can you tell me how to get to that breastfeeding link.

TTC since July 2008
Oct. 2010 IUI #1 BFN
Nov. 2010 IUI #2 BFN

December 13th, 2013: FET #2 transferred our last embryo. Another chemical pregnancy!

#855 geniegirl

geniegirl
  • Global 100+
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Reading - novels, non-fiction, poetry, self-help, anything/ writing - diaries, journalism, fiction/ family/ dinners, dinner parties, good friends, good conversation/ how to live a balanced life
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

hey - i could use it too!!!

#856 frostedlemon

frostedlemon
  • 1000+
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

Casou - The breastfeeding group here: http://ivf.ca/forums...ormation-group/

If that link doesn't work for some reason, it's in the Parenting forum, in Parents Playroom, under the name Breastfeeding Support/Information group.

Me - 34, Him - 38
Long story short: Trying without success for four years, two m/cs, several medicated cycles including two IUIs, and too many BFNs to count.

We would like a second but it will have to happen naturally. Period returned July 2012.

Nov 2013 - BFP, but faint and bleeding a few days later. Beta 23 and then down to non-pregnant levels. Things are back to "normal", apparently.

#857 mollygirl21

mollygirl21
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hi everyone,

I love to see everyone's update even though we are all so busy that it doesn't happen very often these days!

Hopefully everyone is settling into a routine and the babies are all well and healthy.

We saw the opthamologist again yesterday about Levi's eye and it was decided he will need to have surgery. There is still blood behind his lens (the old blood, he's not bleeding now) that is interfering with his vision and if it's not removed, his vision will not develop in that eye. He is 5 weeks old tomorrow and they initially told us that this needs to be addressed before he is 8 weeks old if there is hope for normal vision so I expect the surgery date will be very soon.

For the surgery, basically, they use one tool to suck the gel out of his eyeball which will also capture the blood clot and at the same time they inject saline to replace the gel to prevent the eye from collapsing. The doctor told us saline is actually superior to the gel we have in our eyes because it won't break down with age. When adults get "floaters" in their vision, it's because this gel has broken down and then they have to have this same operation.

It is low risk, high probability of success (success being defined as normal vision development). He will be under full anesthetic for the procedure so we will be admitted to the Children's Hospital overnight.

Even though I am a bit shocked that my precious tiny son needs to have surgery, I am also so very grateful that this was caught early and he has a very good chance at normal vision. Plus if we had to choose a health issue, this isn't so bad - he's not suffering in anyway and he won't have any lasting effects from his condition or the surgery. He will have a bad day that day but that's it...We are truly blessed in so many ways - it was caught, he was followed closely, it can be fixed and he is not hurting in anyway.

How are the other moms coping? I'm pretty much housebound because I'm not allowed to drive yet. My incision is still wide open and needs to have the packing changed daily by a VON nurse. I get out when someone drives us places or on my husband's days off. I think we'll get out for a walk today though - it looks nice out and I'm feeling well enough to struggle with the stroller :P It got to me a little on Sunday when we hit the one month mark but most of the time I'm fine. It's nice to have no choice but to sit and stare at him some days! Not a bad way to spend an afternoon I tell ya :D

Hugs to everyone,
MG
After 3+ years, my cycle history is quite long. For details on each cycle, please visit my "About Me" page

Trying since fall 2007
All tests show normal (we're "unexplained")

COH+IUI in Nov 08 = BFN
IVF # 1 Feb 09 - BFN
IVF #2 June 2009 - BFP
13 week u/s showed a missed m/c. Baby stopped developing around 8 weeks. Damn.

Moving on to adoption :)
March 22, 2010 - finished PRIDE classes
waiting to begin homestudy sometime in the next two years. That's not a typo - TWO YEARS
Feb 2012 - got a call that they are ready to start our home study...putting off all adoption decisions for at least 6 months because I am 2 weeks from my due date (see below)

Feb 2011 - we've been offered donor embryos! FET in a few months after preliminary tests are done...
FET June 2011:
May 7 - start suprefact and low dose aspirin (on CD21)
May 14 - AF started - super heavy and I'm super cranky. Headaches from the suprefact too
May 21 - starting Estrace and both of us start antibiotics
June 3 - u/s to check lining
June 8 - FET
June 21 - Beta is 564. June 24 Beta is 2286
July 12 - first u/s at 7w1d
Aug 18 - second u/s at 12w4d - everything looks great
Aug 30 - first prenatal appt
Oct 6 - 20w anatomy scan, could find out the sex!
It's a BOY!!
EDD is Feb 26, 2012
beautiful healthy baby boy born March 1, 2012 <3

My friend ButterflyKiss provided this quote from Laura Bush's book and I think it captures how many of us feel:"The English language lacks the words to mourn an absence... for someone who was never there at all, we are wordless to capture that particular emptiness. For those who deeply want children and are denied them, those missing babies hover like silent, ephemeral shadows over their lives. Who can describe the feel of a tiny hand that is never held?"

#858 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Cyclebase
  • 3,299 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

Yay that this was caught early on and everyone is being proactive! Fingers crossed for a smooth procedure and recovery for Levi - and yourself MG.

me 48, he 49 30 years together!
1 ectopic1 late miscarriageMultiple chemical pregnanciesMany child 'free' yearsSuccess on 2nd IVF (Halleujah! and happy 44th birthday to me!)SHE'S HERE! SHE'S HERE!Born 05/11/2010 8:25pm. 5 lbs 13 ozs of absolute sunshine!Tea parties and glitter! Exploring options for IVF#3 (OE). Test results appear promising and we are greenlighted. 4 mature eggs retrieved 04/06/14. All fertilized normally; scheduled for transfer on 04/09/14. All 4 on board; beta set for 04/17/14. Second beta scheduled for 04/21/14. 3rd beta set for 04/23/14.

#859 hopefulgirl

hopefulgirl
  • Global 100+
  • 787 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

Happy Easter to all the Feb due date little bunnies and their mammas!

MG- wishing Levi a quick and painless surgery and recovery. Plz keep us posted. I hope yr incision heals soon so you can get back on your feet. I have to say that throughout our thread you have had the greatest outlook on life - its inspiring!

AFM- We have our 2 month immunizations on Tues and our liitle Thomas is not so little anymore, already snug in size 3-6 months clothing- Time is flying!! His smiles & giggles absolutely melt our hearts :)
DX:PCOS 2 years, lots of tears and one lucky IVF cycle...
Winter 2012 - Welcome to the world baby boy!
Summer 2013- Surprise BFP makes two?!
Aug - NT scan looks great. In love already.
Feb 2014- Welcome baby boy #2

#860 Kim2

Kim2
  • Global 100+
  • 269 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM (previously UBC)

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:35 AM

Hi Feb Mommas!

How is everyone doing?

MG - how is Levi and how is your incision healing?

I feel like I'm finally settling into this whole parent thing a little bit more now. Chloe is 11 weeks this week and I can now get out of the house in under an hour...haha. Everything in the beginning just took so long to do, but now I'm a little more organized and better at managing life with a baby. I actually was out for most of the day on my own with Chloe in the stroller and we got a lot of ground covered, but man was I tired at the end of the day. I've have found it nearly impossible to get anytime on the computer and still haven't ordered her newborn photos, but I have almost all of the pics chosen now and will place the order soon. I really want to send out thank you cards to everyone who has given us gifts. Unless I can quickly type something on my iphone, emails etc just aren't happening these days. She's sleeping right now and tomorrow is my sleep in day so I'm staying up (it's 11pm here) a bit later than usual.

As for sleep...well I'm still trying to get it when I can. Seems to be my life's mission these days, trying to sleep. DH works shift work and so on his days off he takes her for walks in the morning and brings her back when she's hungry. If it weren't for the couple of hours of catch up sleep on his days off, I would go mental. She feeds 2-4 times in the night and from about 4am onward she's a grumbly, squirmy little sleeper. She's sleeping in a bassinet next to our bed and so I've resorted to using earplugs during those grumbly periods, but I can't stand earplugs. She's growing out of the bassinet so I'm going to have to figure out a new sleeping arrangement for her. I tried to put her in her crib which is in her nursery across the hall from our room, but I was so freaked out about her being too far away I couldn't sleep. I know, it's ridiculous but I worry that if something were to happen I wouldn't hear her. I wake up several times a night while she's sleeping to check if she's breathing. I'll be glad when I don't worry about that anymore cause it's really disturbing to my sleep, but I can't help myself.

She's only started to sleep soundly for a chunk of time (2-5 hours) at the beginning of the night and even slept for 6 hours straight one night - but only once. After that long stretch she sleeps at most 2 hours at a time, but mostly 1-1.5 hours at a time. By the time 7am rolls around I feel like I'm going to go nuts some mornings. Needless to say I've started going to bed as soon as she falls asleep, which makes for some early bedtimes. Life is real exciting around here with 9pm bedtimes...haha.

How is sleep going for everyone else? Any tricks or tips you can pass along?

How about pumping? Is anyone breastfeeding and pumping as well? I'm exclusively breastfeeding and have tried pumping so that I can one day leave her with someone for a few hours while I do something normal that is non mommy related, but it's not working out. I just have a hand pump and can barely get anything. Maybe I need to try an electric pump, but I think the let down stimulus is not there for me when I pump.

I've had a long recovery because I popped a few stitches and still have quite a bit of pelvic pain so I'm only really getting more physically active now. I had a 3rd degree tear and it's still sore in spots so I'm trying to take it a little easy. I would like to shed more of this baby weight so I can fit back into my old clothes. Dealing with the physical changes after pregnancy and giving birth has been harder for me than I thought. I went through a short period of time when I hated my body and everything about it, then I realized I should feel the opposite. My body has done this incredible thing of growing, birthing and feeding a human being and I am so grateful for that. Now I'm taking it a little easier on myself and trying to accept that my body will be quite different now and it will take time to shed the extra weight and for 'things' to somewhat go back to where they should be. Having a baby changes everything - physically and emotionally.

In the last couple of night she has started crying before bed and getting really upset, which breaks my heart. I think she's just too tired and gets upset. So I was rocking her to sleep tonight in her nursery and suddenly remembered all that happened before we were blessed with her and I felt so incredibly grateful that she is in our lives and that I get to be her mom. She was definitely worth the wait. I kind of laughed when the midwife and GP asked me about birth control. Since it took 4 years without birth control to conceive her I'm not too worried about it and if it happens then it was meant to be and we would be overjoyed.

Hope everyone is well. I'd love to hear how your doing even if it's a quick update typing one handed on your smart phone ;-)

Me (37) Dx: Unexplained. Trying for over 3 years. 

June 2011 - To start IVF at UBC...5 days before apt surprise BFP! Perfect baby girl born Feb/12.   

TTC #2 since mid 2012. Gamete of tests at PCRM - all normal. AMH good.  

July 2013 - Faint pos HPT. Beta 13. M/C  

November 2013 BFP

Nov 22: Beta 12  sad.png

Nov 25: Beta 91

Dec 2  : Beta 2,150

Dec 7  : Beta 10,061 biggrin.png
Dec 13: u/s - HR 128

Dec 27: u/s - HR 176 

NT u/s: 1.5mm baby measuring 1 day ahead. 

IPS screening: negative 

Anatomy scan 19w: baby is looking perfect.

EDD Aug 6/14

#861 hopefulgirl

hopefulgirl
  • Global 100+
  • 787 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

Kim so great to hear from you. I've been checking in weekly but it's been so quiet. These little ones take quite a lot of work don't they?!

I'm typing one handed on my iPhone while Thomas does his playmat time w Baby Einstein on in the background so we'll see how much I get typed out. (I know the videos were discredited but I popped one in last week for fun and he seems to love it.)

In reference to yr post Kim, whoever coined the phrase 'sleeping like a baby' must not have ever raised a baby. Thomas is a sleep talker for sure. We moved him into the nursery at around 8 weeks bc I couldn't get a wink of deep sleep with his chirping. I was constantly turning the lamp on to check on him. I had a hard time the first night but I'm ok with it now. We have the monitor that sounds if it stops detecting movement (aka breathing) and shows the room temp so it gives me some peace of mind. He's been sleeping from 11 pm - 5 am about 4 times a week, and getting up only once around 3am the other nights. He's on formula though so that may have a lot to do with it.

Re: post-pregnancy body. I feel the same way. Very empowered that my body was able to carry our little miracle, but lets be real, it's still frustrating when you can't get yr old jeans over your thighs anymore! I've got 5 lbs to shed until my goal weight but things have def widened and I'll never have my pre-pregnancy body back 100%. At least I got some bigger boobs out of the deal!

Has anyone tried having romantic time yet? We have tried a few times but I still find I'm too sensitive\sore. Each try is getting easier but I'm still a bit paranoid they overdid it on my stitches...

AFM- Thomas is now on beta blockers for his hemangioma. It started growing a deeper component under the skin and they want to avoid potential scarring in the future. This should dramatically speed up the involution. He takes them by mouth every 8 hours and has to go for screening to the Childrens hospital every few weeks. He had to have an EKG to be sure his heart was ok before we started as the meds can potentially lower his blood pressure. It broke my heart to see him hooked up to all the pads but luckiky it was a quick test and his heart is just fine. I had to buy a stethoscope and learn to take his heart rate and monitor him just in case though.

My other news is that my job was affected by the federal budget. I will be completing applications this week to compete to be retained. If I'm not selected I will be laid off. I'm pretty upset about this, especially given I don't have much time to devote to the process. DH will be taking a few days off so I can get some solid nights sleeps and can focus on writing up my templates. It's been very stressful dealing with this but I keep telling myself that I can always find another job but there will only be one Thomas. It's not fair to him to be upset so I need to suck it up.

In happier news, baby is thriving. Now in size 6 months. Not terribly chubby but just tall and solid. He recognizes our faces now and lights up when he sees me or DH. He laughs, tries to talk to us and is now batting at all his toys. He's also sucking his fists lately so I'm wondering if a tooth may be coming in soon? Every day is something new and I'm loving being a mom.

Better get back to engaging with him. I would love to hear from everyone. As Kim said, even if only a quick post.

#862 casou08

casou08
  • Global 100+
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Kim and Hopefulgirl, it was great to read your updates. I hope that everyone else is doing well.

Hopefulgirl: I hope that Thomas continues to get better. How long does he need to take the meds?
I'm sorry to hear about your job. I'm sure that's the last thing that you want to deal with on maternity leave. My daughter has started to drool and suck her hand quite a bit as well. I am praying that her teeth are still many months away.
My husband and I tried "getting romantic" once but it was extremely painful so we haven't tried again. My family doctor suggested that since I had a cervical tear we wait a bit longer for it to heal. I have had bleeding on and off for the last 5 weeks which has been really annoying.

Kim: My daughter cries before she goes to sleep all the time but not usually for that long. I rock her and give her a pacifier which I really didn't want to do but it settles her and she doesn't keep it in her mouth too long. My mother-in-law told me that the reason she cries before she falls asleep is because I am not happy. I certaily wasn't happy when she told me that!!
I am very lucky that Abby sleeps from 6 to 8 hours a night and then has a nap every 2 hours during the day. My mom got me a book called Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child that has been somewhat helpful. I wouldn't buy it but if you can get it out of the library, there are some parts that are helpful.

My biggest issue so far has been breastfeeding. I have been in pain on and off for the last 10 weeks and I am on my third lactation consultant. I have tried everything from a dairy, carb and sugar free diet to grapefruit seed extract and acidophilus caplets to cream on my breasts/meds for my daughter. The last consultant thinks that maybe it's my daughter's latch so I have been trying to be more aware of that. I really don't want to give up but some days I get really frustrated. I do pump occasionally but my daughter all of a sudden hates taking the bottle so most of it goes to waste. I try to feed her right before I go out and am back before the next feed. My parents have been awesome about babysitting when I have appointments. They even looked after her so I could go out for lunch with my friend.

My husband is going to China on business next week so my parents, Abby and I are going to visit my sister in Seattle. I am a little worried about how Abby is going to do on the plane but it's not a long flight so hopefully it won't be too bad.

TTC since July 2008
Oct. 2010 IUI #1 BFN
Nov. 2010 IUI #2 BFN

#863 mollygirl21

mollygirl21
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

Hi everyone,

Just doing a flyby on ivf.ca today to see how everyone is doing.

We're doing great - I was finally discharged from the VON's care a couple days ago after 9 weeks of daily visits. My incision is healed over and I am mobile again! Levi and I have been getting out much more now that we can do it on our own.

Levi is doing really great - he sleeps through the night til about 6am and then takes a bottle and goes back to bed for a couple hours. He is a very happy, pleasant baby with a short fussy time each evening.

His eye surgery was successful and now we are patching his good eye for 2 hours a day in order to strengthen his bad eye. The prognosis is good that he will develop normal vision in both eyes. We are so very lucky in so many ways.

I still feel like this whole thing is surreal and a dream some days. I found myself sitting next to DH watching a movie a couple weeks ago and was actually startled for a second when I heard Levi!

We went out and left him with my sister overnight this past weekend...he did great and so did we :) Of course we missed him but we were very comfortable with who he was with (she actually stayed at our house with him) and we really enjoyed each other.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well.

MG
After 3+ years, my cycle history is quite long. For details on each cycle, please visit my "About Me" page

Trying since fall 2007
All tests show normal (we're "unexplained")

COH+IUI in Nov 08 = BFN
IVF # 1 Feb 09 - BFN
IVF #2 June 2009 - BFP
13 week u/s showed a missed m/c. Baby stopped developing around 8 weeks. Damn.

Moving on to adoption :)
March 22, 2010 - finished PRIDE classes
waiting to begin homestudy sometime in the next two years. That's not a typo - TWO YEARS
Feb 2012 - got a call that they are ready to start our home study...putting off all adoption decisions for at least 6 months because I am 2 weeks from my due date (see below)

Feb 2011 - we've been offered donor embryos! FET in a few months after preliminary tests are done...
FET June 2011:
May 7 - start suprefact and low dose aspirin (on CD21)
May 14 - AF started - super heavy and I'm super cranky. Headaches from the suprefact too
May 21 - starting Estrace and both of us start antibiotics
June 3 - u/s to check lining
June 8 - FET
June 21 - Beta is 564. June 24 Beta is 2286
July 12 - first u/s at 7w1d
Aug 18 - second u/s at 12w4d - everything looks great
Aug 30 - first prenatal appt
Oct 6 - 20w anatomy scan, could find out the sex!
It's a BOY!!
EDD is Feb 26, 2012
beautiful healthy baby boy born March 1, 2012 <3

My friend ButterflyKiss provided this quote from Laura Bush's book and I think it captures how many of us feel:"The English language lacks the words to mourn an absence... for someone who was never there at all, we are wordless to capture that particular emptiness. For those who deeply want children and are denied them, those missing babies hover like silent, ephemeral shadows over their lives. Who can describe the feel of a tiny hand that is never held?"

#864 hopefulgirl

hopefulgirl
  • Global 100+
  • 787 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

Happy Mother's Day to all my fellow Feb Due Date Mammas! Posted Image
Can you believe WE actually get to celebrate this year???!! Amen to that sistas!

Casou - Your MIL's comment cracked me up. Where do they come up with these things????
Good luck with the trip to Seattle. Let me know how Abby does on the plane. My DH leaves on business for Europe in June so we'll be here on our own for one week. I'm pretty petrified actually. I almost tagged along with Thomas but backed out at the last minute. I think the commute might be a bit long for him at this age (it's two planes and a 2 hour car ride). There may be another trip this Fall so hopefully that one works out.
Interesting that Abby is also sucking on her hands and drooling. Thomas is now managing to fit both fists in his mouth at once, but still no signs of impending teeth. Fingers crossed he holds out a bit longer. I hear they get VERY angry. yikes
I'm sorry I have no advice re: breastfeeding as Thomas has been on formula exclusively since 5 weeks. I think you're doing an awesome job keeping with it though. Abby is a very lucky lady.

MG - What great news about Levi's eye!! He's one resilient little man. And good for you and DH for getting a night away. We have been out to dinner a few times but no one has volunteered an overnighter. Maybe I should start dropping hints..

Does anyone else have their babies on a routine? I recently started one for Thomas and it's been working well so far. Some things are firmly set (Baby Time at the Library, tummy time, bath time) but I'm still flexible with naps. I try to encourage set nap times but I'm hesitant to wake him if he falls asleep randomly because it usually ends badly, for me.. If anyone has any tips on routines please do share.

#865 frostedlemon

frostedlemon
  • 1000+
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

hopefulgirl - Just thread crashing to offer a comment about routines. After 3 months, they start being awake a lot longer and stop sleeping quite so randomly during the day, so it becomes a lot easier to figure out a routine that works for you.

I started trying to implement one at somewhere between 3 and 4 months. I think it was the beginning of December, he was 3 months on November 21. I was going nuts because he wasn't napping (he would literally stay awake all day) and go to bed late and I was getting no me-time and little to no help from husband (partly because of him working so he was only available in the evenings, partly because I breastfeed and in the evenings baby would cluster feed like crazy so every time someone else would take him, he'd need to be back with me within a short time). I read The Baby Whisperer, who is all about a set routine of Eat, Activity (anything other than eating or sleeping falls into this), and Sleep in 90 minute cycles. I don't follow that totally anymore, but it gave me a really good way of making the day predictable for both of us and a place to start at. Once I started that, things go so much easier for both of us because he started napping (not for very long at first, but it was better than nothing!) at predictable times and also went to bed at a predictable time, which actually got a lot earlier as we started recognizing his sleepy cues. Also implementing a simple bedtime routine that we can replicate at other people's houses so that he'll fairly easily go to bed when we're out has also helped immensely.

It also helped me recognize that sometimes I wasn't helping him transition from awake to sleep and he was too keyed up to sleep. I thought some of the things we were doing before he went to bed was getting his energy out, but it was probably actually too stimulating for him to then want to sleep not too long after. Oops. :) Anyway, it was a big help to me in understanding sleep and activity and as I said, a good place to start. After a while I figured out when are the best nap times and now our days are predictable (except when he decides he doesn't want to sleep, he wants to play! yay for the 8 month wakeful period! NOT) and we are both a LOT happier. It is definitely one of the best things I've done as a parent. Good luck!

Me - 34, Him - 38

#866 Kim2

Kim2
  • Global 100+
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Hopeful - Glad to hear Thomas is doing so well and that his hemangioma is getting 'better'. He sounds like a great little sleeper! Do you get up at 5am everyday with him? Chloe only sleeps until about 5am as well and on the odd occasion I can get her back to sleep until 7am but that's rare. Man is that early! I'm not sure I'll get used to the early rising and I end up staying up late because that's the only time I get to do anything around the house, check emails etc.

As for romantic time we tried once and I had consumed a few glasses of wine so it was ok...sounds exciting hey? I'm waiting for things to return somewhat back to normal in that department before we get back into any kind of regular intimacy and let's face it, it's hard to find time when you're not exhausted and are both interested. I think breastfeeding also takes away some desire because I'm already sharing my body with another person all day and night and to want to switch from a feeding machine to a sexy wife is a little challenging on no sleep with puke in your hair. Hahaha!

Casou - My gawd your MIL's comment is ridiculous! New mom's are so vulnerable and I can't believe she would be so thoughtless. How is the breastfeeding going now? If you have pain it sounds like a latch issue so I'm hoping you can get some good support. Have you thought about going to a la leche league group or getting some support through that organization? I've heard they are great. Feeding issues are so hard to stomach as a mom. How did your trip to Seattle go?

MG - yay for being healed and mobile again! What a rough go you had, you're such a trooper! That's wonderful news that Levi's surgery went well and he is recovering nicely. He sounds like a happy little soul :-D Good for you and DH for getting away for the night, I need to do that. It is surreal somedays isn't it?!? I found mother's day awesome, but kinda strange being on the receiving end of it for the first time. DH made a card from Chloe for me and it said MOM on the front - weird is that really for me! I love, love being her mom and couldn't have asked for a happier more beautiful baby. It's already been so cool watching her grow and develop. The newborn phase really does fly by.

My prenatal instructor sent a great email to our group and I'll post it here for you all to read. Hope everyone is well!

June 2011 - To start IVF at UBC...5 days before apt surprise BFP! Perfect baby girl born Feb/12.   

November 2013 BFP

EDD Aug 6/14

#867 Kim2

Kim2
  • Global 100+
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

From my prenatal instructor. I like her boat analogy:

"It is such a huge life-change! When a baby is born, so, too, are the parents, as we become mothers and fathers. It is easy to under-estimate how huge this change will be until we find ourselves in the middle of it, struggling to stay afloat.

Picture that your life before was one boat, and your life now as a parent is a new boat with your baby in it. Obviously there is no turning back, since your baby must inhabit the new boat. Many of us spend a long time trying to keep one foot in each boat--picture this, and how difficult it would be to maintain! And now picture jumping into the new boat--the one with your baby--and letting the old boat go. There is definitely a period of sadness and loss, maybe of mourning, as you watch the old boat drift away. Yet there is a life ahead of you in this new boat, a life of new adventures, of new horizons, and of a new you that can be even better than the old you. There are rewards in this new boat that you could not have imagined before, there are opportunities for enrichment and love, for personal growth, and for deep satsifaction. And yes, there will be opportunities for long, unbroken sleep one day too ;-)

Acceptance of oneself as a parent does not happen all at once. It is an ongoing series of acts of surrender--some large and many small--different moments when you realize you have to bend rather than risk breaking, moments when it becomes clear that sometimes the key to contentment is letting go of expectations and accepting that whatever is simply is.

With a first child, this is an ongoing process. We question ourselves as parents, we second-guess our decisions, we feel guilty about everything we do and even about things we do not do. Books by so-called "experts" make us doubt our instincts. Poorly-chosen words from professionals, mothers-in-law, neighbours and inner-voices can cause us to deviate from what feels right. As first-time parents, we are very vulnerable to internalizing other people's expectations. We do not yet have proof that our baby will ever sleep through the night, or that we will ever want to have sex again, or that we will ever get out to a restaurant or theatre with grown-ups.

The one thing to remember throughout this maelstrom, is that this too shall pass. Every single thing that right now feels like a consuming issue will solve itself with time. All of your babies will learn to sleep through the night, in their own good time, without you ever having to do a thing to 'teach' them how. Your child will soon be so social with other people that you rarely get a hug, and you never get a nap in your arms. You will do grown-up things again. And believe it or not, you might deeply miss these sleep-hazy days of feeding your baby, holding your baby, and feeding your baby some more. Even though the newborn phase feels like forever when you're in it, once its over it feels like it went by in the blink of an overtired eye. Try to allow yourself to spend time luxuriating in it and relaxing in its slow rhythms, and less time hoping for it to end soon.

Traversing this passage into parenthood is no small accomplishment; indeed it is one of the biggest challenges anyone faces in a lifetime. It is amazing how these teeny tiny little beings can transform our lives so immeasurably, transporting us to the depths of frustration and self-doubt in one moment, and to the heights of contentment and serenity the next. No one can exhaust our patience, or tug at our hearts like our babies.

Parenting a newborn is HARD. It is exhausting, demanding, and non-stop. It is crazy just how all-the-time a job it is! Support is essential during this challenging first year. Get together with each other. Put babies in slings and go for walks together. Visit each other's homes (don't bother cleaning!) and bring take-out muffins. Attend La Leche League meetings.

It is very clear that all of you are finding your own parenting paths, getting to know what does and does not work for your particular baby and your particular family. As some of you are already discovering, this gets easier and easier as your relationship with your little one deepens, and as you develop increasing self-confidence in your own decisions as parents. There is no one model, no single way of doing things, that works for everyone. When it comes to your baby and your family, your own are the only "expert" opinions that really count.

In sum, the transition from lone individual to inter-dependent parent is rocky and fraught with pits of stress and moments of frustration, doubt and denial. Even though we all flounder as we struggle to find our parenting feet, the path is ultimately one of infinte rewards and incredible satisfaction. I know you will all settle into the new boat and discover that the view is better, the route more interesting, and the travels more exciting. And every time you hit frightening waves, patches of bad weather, or small leaks, tell yourself as many times as you need to, this too shall pass, this too shall pass, this too shall pass.

I encourage you all to keep in touch with each other, to build your community of support, since unconditional support is something no parents can do without."

November 2013 BFP

EDD Aug 6/14

#868 hopefulgirl

hopefulgirl
  • Global 100+
  • 787 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for sharing that note Kim. How eloquently written.

Yes, 5:00 am IS too early! I typically get a morning nap in though. The routine is more or less that when he gets up around 5:00, I change him, give him a bottle and bring him into our bed (DH gets up around 6:00 and I strip the blankets and pillows off once he's out). I read to him for a bit and then we usually nap from 6:30 until about 7:30 am. I think this may be a thing of the past though as he is getting dangerously close to rolling over from his back on to his stomach. Today he rolled himself on to his side and was kind of teetering and tottering for a bit until he made it completely off his blanket and on to the grass face first. Our bed is not high but it's still a long ways down for a little guy...

I find I'm the same as you. I use the evenings when I could/should be sleeping to catch up on personal e-mails or chores. Last week I e-mailed all the local parishes at 1:00 am to inquire into the process to register Thomas for the sacrament of baptism. You take the time you have available I guess.

I wish we all lived closer. I would love to meet/see all the precious babies!

#869 hopefulgirl

hopefulgirl
  • Global 100+
  • 787 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

Thought this may be of use to some:

We saw the Pediatric Dermatologist for a follow up today and I asked him about sunscreens for infants. Of course we don't plan to lay Thomas out in the sun but inadvertently he will be exposed over the summer. The books I've read all say no sunscreens under 12 months, but he said its ok to use 'Neutrogena, Pure and Simple, Baby" or "Aven". Coincidentally I noticed both are on sale at Wallmart right now. Just a tip.

#870 mastereh

mastereh
  • 15 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:New Life Fertility

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hi everyone,

Wow has time flown by or what. I just realized I never posted an update in a very long time. My wife and son (Zayaan) are both doing very well, he was born on February 14 @ 3pm. He was initially due on February 12th and my wife did go into labor at around 3 on Feb 12th. It took pretty much 48 hours for the little guy to be born. In the end we were able to deliver naturally and both mom & baby were doing great.

The first week was VERY hard, holy were we not prepared. He was a big baby weighing in a 8.64lbs as such he needed a large food intake right off the bat. My wife had a lot of trouble with latching and in the end we had to settle on both bottle feeding & breast milk. My wife relied on her pump, bottle feeding was cool for me cause I got to help out and handle a lot of the feedings giving my wife time to heal and recover. We stayed at her parents place for the first 3 weeks and that was a great help.

Our son was border line for jaundice so we had to get tested almost everyday for 5 days. It was a bit nerve racking cause he was so tiny (at least to me he was).

Little Zayaan is growing fast, he's now about 16-17lbs and he's what about 3.5 months old. Its crazy how fast he's growing, we've had him in 6-9month clothes for a few weeks now. Everything else is just too tight. He's also gotten great control of his neck, when we give him tummy time we loves to litterally wiggle all over the place. Within a short time he can move from one end of the mat to another. He'll occasionally push his head & chest up off the ground and just hold himself up. Its so cool to watch.

My wife was eventually able to get the latching thing down and since then we've been comfortably breastfeeding, occasionally I'll still feed him the bottle & formula. I think the combination is working really well. I came down with a nasty cold a few weeks ago and the little guy didn't catch it. His immune system must be developing well.

Hope all is well with you and your babies. Have fun and enjoy each day. We certainly are.

#871 casou08

casou08
  • Global 100+
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

Congratulations Mastereh to you and your wife. Great to hear that your son is doing well!

Kim: Your post from your prenatal instructor made me cry. Being a parent has so far been the hardest and the most rewarding thing that I have experienced. Every morning when I wake up and see my daughter smile my heart just melts. I still often have to "pinch myself" to believe that I actually have a child.

Our trip to Seattle went well. Thank goodness my mom was there to help because I definitely couldn't have managed without her. Abby was very good on the plane. She only cried a little bit before she went to sleep which she does all the time at home anyway. She actually slept through the whole landing here in Edmonton!

Abby is still sleeping in her bassinet in our room but is getting too big for it. Yesterday I started trying to transition her into her crib. She did well during nap time but trying to put her down at night was a big struggle. She would sleep for a few minutes and then wake up. I finally put her bassinet in her crib. I'm not sure if that's why she slept well or the fact that she was exhausted!! I ended up sleeping in her room with her because our baby monitors are not working properly and I was worried about her. I am sad that she won't be in our room anymore.

Abby and I had our first new mom's class last week. It was so fun to be surrounded by so many little babies. One little girl had the softest, gentlest cry I have ever heard. I have to admit that I was a bit jealous. Sometimes I think that my little one could wake up the whole neighbourhood!!

I hope that you all had a wonderful 1st Mother's Day. It felt so special when people wished me a Happy Mother's Day.

TTC since July 2008
Oct. 2010 IUI #1 BFN
Nov. 2010 IUI #2 BFN

#872 hopefulgirl

hopefulgirl
  • Global 100+
  • 787 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

Casou- Hope the sleep transition to the crib is going smoothly.

Congrats Mastareh.

This week marked a year since my ET. What a difference a year makes, our lives are so different now!

Thomas is doing great, he makes us laugh everyday with his little laugh. He sure cracks himself up. I wonder what he's thinking sometimes. Still a mellow fellow, which allows us a lot of freedom to bring him along places. First official trip is a road trip 6 hours each way next month. Fingers crossed.

#873 Kim2

Kim2
  • Global 100+
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

Hi Feb mommas!

Remember this time last year when we were starting to show more everyday :-) I'll miss wearing tights and long fitted sweaters and looking cute in them. I still have 20lbs to lose and it's been hard to get rid of because I'm so sleep deprived. Chloe is not a good sleeper still and is up at least 3 times a night...sigh.

How are you all? How are the babes doing?

November 2013 BFP

EDD Aug 6/14

#874 hopefulgirl

hopefulgirl
  • Global 100+
  • 787 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

Hi Kim. I was reminiscing this weekend and popped on to see if anyone had updated the thread. So happy to see your post! It's so tough when they don't sleep well. Wishing you more zzzs soon. What else is new with your Chloe?

Thomas is doing great. I can't believe how big he's gotten already, he's 22 lbs! I told him he needs to learn to walk soon bc he's breaking my back, haha. This is such a fun stage. I'm loving it TOO much, I keep delaying my return to work. Time goes too fast when you're having fun!

#875 Kim2

Kim2
  • Global 100+
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

Hi hopeful!! This is a fun stage isn't it! Wow Thomas is a big guy already. Chloe weighs 17.5lbs but is tall. She's a really active baby probably why she doesn't sleep much. She is commando crawling but not on her hands and knees yet. It seems like the boys are generally mobile earlier than the girls. A little guy in my hiking group is crawling at 5.5 months. That's early.

We walk, swim and hike at least once a week which has been a saviour for me. I'm so glad to have met the little group if women that I did. The rest of the time I feel like I'm chasing sleep haha.

How about you? What do your days look like? When are you planning on returning to work?

I have to go back in Jan. I never thought I'd say this but I wish I could stay home for another year, but I can't :-(
  • Katz likes this

November 2013 BFP

EDD Aug 6/14