Low antral follice count/High FSH

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Canagirl

Canagirl
  • 65 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

I was at my clinic for cycle monitoring today (investigative cycle) and asked what my FSH and Antral Follicle Count was on day 3.

They told me the AFC was 6 (3 on each side) and FSH was 13. I haven't met with my own doctor yet (but will at the end of the cycle to review). I did google this information and am now really depressed with what I've found. I understand neither number is very good and quite possibly a sign of diminished ovarian reserve. I'm 35 and have been trying about a year and a half to conceive.

I am just really, really depressed today with this news as I know it isn't positive. I had gone to my family doctor after 6 months of trying and he had said to try for a year and come back if there was no success. I'm now thinking I should have pushed harder for a referral back then, but I can't do anything about it now.

How much have your AFC counts and FSH fluctuated over various months. Thank you.
TTC since February 2010

Me: 36 (DOR) DH: 38

May 2011: High FSH (13) and Low AFC (6)
August 2011: FSH (8) but lower AFC (only 3!)

Hysteroscopy to remove polyps

April 2012: IUI #1 FSH 9.1, AFC 8 = BFN
September 2012: IVF #1 Short cycle, natural start = IUI #2 as only had 2 follicles

#2 Talula

Talula
  • 101 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

I am in the same situation as you ( same age and similar numbers) and my gyno said the same thing ( try for a year and come back) and so I feel I have wasted precious time! It's still not too late, you'll probably have to start your ivf sooner rather than later and you will be given the maximum dose of hormones ( that's what happened to me anyway). Hang in there, it's not too late, all it takes is one good egg.... Pm me if you have any questions or want to talk. I know how devastating it can be....

#3 silverdollar

silverdollar
  • Cyclebase
  • 3,483 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor sports and activities of all types.
    Kids, sewing, photography, cooking, growing stuff in my garden.
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:21 PM

It's a crappy diagnosis, but doesn't mean it's hopeless. There is a great group of women and great information in the area 51 poor responders forum - PM me if you would like the password.

Unexplained IF/ DOR. Began TTC in 2008.
After a wild and crazy ride on the treatment train, our baby GIRL arrived on Jan 6, 2012
Hold on.... Surprise spontaneous just 7 months postpartum while still breastfeeding!!! Baby boy born May 2, 2013
My heart couldn't be more full :)

Full details are now in my profile "About Me" page

#4 Canagirl

Canagirl
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:30 AM

Thank you both very much for your reply (and thank you to another member that also sent me a very nice PM).

It is depressing. Fortunately I had somewhere to go tonight so it took my mind off it for a while.

Talula - thank you for your reply (although I'm really sorry you are in the same situation). You are right that it only takes one good egg (although I wish we had more to pick from). I hope you also find success soon.

silverdollar - thank you. Another member was also nice enough to suggest that I post in the area 51 poor responders section and PMed me with some info so I will so I will move there next. I am so happy to see that you have had success and wish you a healthy and happy pregnancy. I see your ultrasound is coming up - very exciting!
TTC since February 2010

September 2012: IVF #1 Short cycle, natural start = IUI #2 as only had 2 follicles

#5 aprilbaby

aprilbaby
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:48 AM

high fsh ONLY means you may not respond with many follicles. I had success from a natural ivf cycle. Age is more important. My RE was not concerned at All with my fsh. PM me if you want.

#6 Canagirl

Canagirl
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:51 PM

Thank you aprilbaby. It is very nice to hear positive stories and congratulations on you success!
TTC since February 2010

#7 leigh14

leigh14
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,454 posts
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:09 PM

Hi Cangirl,

You definitely can have success with lower numbers. I'm not really the best example since I had a miscarriage but I did get pregnant! :)

My AFC on my last cycle was around 10 in total. My FSH was around 5 I think. I ended up with 5 eggs retrieved, four were mature and all four fertilized. I ended up with two blasts.

When I spoke with my current RE about whether or not the low numbers mean crap eggs he said that the numbers retrieved have nothing to do with quality.

And FSH is not a great predictor anyways...I have known of quite a few people with high FSH who've gotten pregnant. One friend of mine had very high FSH but got pregnant on her first IUI at age 39. It can happen.

So stay positive...chances are there's a good egg in there! :)

Leigh
Me: 40
Dx: DH: Vasectomy; need IVF/ICSI ME: D.O.R. and many immunological issues. (Initially presented as "normal" but issues were only discovered after IVF attempt #2 and #3 after testing at new clinic)
IVF attempt #1 Nov.2009, Age 37: Long "Lupron" protocol
Dec.2009: Cycle cancelled due to oversuppression
IVF attempt #2, Age 38: April 2010: 3 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 2 fertilized, ET of 2 embryos BFN
IVF atempt #3 at new clinic: November 2010, Age 38: 5 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 4 fertilized, ET of 2 blastocysts BFP
Strong beta numbers but babies not measuring on track but one heartbeat is present. Followup u/s reveals no HB's :( Had D&C--so sad.
Moved to new clinic closer to home + more of a focus on testing for potential immunological factors:
Further testing reveals three mutations related to inherited thrombophilia (2 MTHFR mutations and PA1-1 mutation), positive ANA, elevated NK cells and cytokines and low levels of leukocyte antibodies (LADS), Recommended Immunological treatment: Humira, LIT, IVig and blood thinners if PG
IVF Protocol: Low stim for me/ TESE needed for DH; took Humira in late August and early September; taking DHEA plus Co-Enzyme Q10, vitamins for DH just for good measure! September--two trips to Mexico for LIT treatment, treatments 3 weeks apart
Initial re-testing through Alan Beer Centre after some of the immune treatments reveals only cytokines were lowered, NKs still high and LAD numbers still low. Another LIT in Mexico is recommended. We decide to begin cycle on doctor's recommendation of just doing IVIG.
IVF#4, Age 39 : November 2011: Worst AFC EVER--a whopping 4! Three follicles responded, two eggs were retrieved. Three day transfer of two Grade 1 8 cell embryos: "Fahita" & "Burrito" Stick, stick, stick little ones!
BFP! Beta of 569
Viability u/s at 6 w 2d shows TWO babies measuring on track with heartbeats of 121. Looks like babies might be sharing the same amniotic sac.
Second u/s at 7w 2 d shows ONE baby with hb of 150, measuring 7 w 3 days. No sign of twin. Vanishing twin syndrome?
Third u/s at 8 w 2d shows ONE baby with hb of 170, measuring 8 w 3 days. Looks like a little jellybean!
12 week u/s at 12 w 2 days and baby is measuring 12 w 5 days with a heart beat of 150. Baby mooned us and waved at us with one hand....looked like a "royal" wave to me!
13 week doctor's appointment, HB=155 on doppler
14 week u/s to check cervix, HB=148
16 week u/s to check cervix, HB=138, baby had hiccups!
20 week u/s--everything looks good! HB=130, looks like we're having a GIRL!
IPS results very good!
39 weeks: Our baby girl arrived!!! She is healthy and beautiful! We are so happy! :)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

#8 briana11

briana11
  • Global 100+
  • 105 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Create - Dr. B

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

It's a crappy diagnosis, but doesn't mean it's hopeless. There is a great group of women and great information in the area 51 poor responders forum - PM me if you would like the password.

I will pm you. Thanks.
Me 40, DH 37
TTC Sept. 2008
Low ovarian reserve
4 iui's, 1 m/c
1st ivf - bfn
2nd ivf - didn't make it to transfer
1st DE ivf - summer 2012

#9 auroraB

auroraB
  • Global 100+
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:59 PM

Silverdollar,

I would love love love to be part of the poor responders forum too! I'm having a difficult time finding others to share with.

IVF

March 2014

BFN

September 2014

BFP

Oct 2016

BFN

January 2017

BFN

#10 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 1,814 posts
  • Interests:running, cooking, gardening, travelling
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:58 PM

Aurora there is no poor responders forum in area 51. At least not an active one.

Two IVFs and no chromosomally normal blasts to transfer...we are done with my eggs.