Photo
- - - - -

Do you believe in God?

36 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you believe in God? (113 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you believe in God (any sort of god)?

1. Yes (57 votes [50.44%])

Percentage of vote: 50.44%

2. Not Sure. Maybe. (13 votes [11.50%])

Percentage of vote: 11.50%

3. No (38 votes [33.63%])

Percentage of vote: 33.63%

4. Not exactly/other (5 votes [4.42%])

Percentage of vote: 4.42%

Vote Login to vote

#1 conky

conky
  • Global 100+
  • 746 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

Just curious!

I was reading a short article about the (non)existence of God and the comments associated with it. Given the struggles people on this forum are going through or have gone through, I'm also curious as to whether, if you are a believer, you feel God has played any role in your struggles with infertility, for good or ill.
  • DiXie and kookacola like this

#2 impatient

impatient
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,816 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:public adoption

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:04 PM

I believe there could be greater forces we don't understand, but I don't believe in a Christian-type God. I think it's more likely that we live and we die and that's it, and there's really no greater reason or explanation other than that.

I would say that with all that we've been through there have been moments where it would be nice to have had some sense of reason or purpose for it all - to be able to hand over some of the responsibility to a Greater Being, and also to belong to a religious community for emotional support, but since I was a kid, I've found that it never quite fit with my own belief-system - and that's even more true now that we're going through infertility.
Me: 41, DH: 44
TTC: since Jan, 2008 (age 34)

DH: Low morphology, low count. Me: Stage 2-3 endometriosis, non-functional fallopian tubes, small fibroids, low AFC, low poor responder ... anything else?

Jun 2008-Sep 2011 in a nutshell: One HSG, one very traumatic office hysteroscopy, one operative laparoscopy, three fresh IVF/ICSI cycles, one chemical, one early miscarriage, two tubal recanalizations, five IUIs (3 with Clomid).

May 2010 - Aug 2011 Attempted adoption application process through the BC MCFD. Aug 2011 Signed up with a private agency. On both waiting lists as of Apr 2012. Proposal through MCFD Jul 2012. Aug 2012 - Finally ... she's home and we're a family! : )

Adoption application #2 started Aug 2013. DD2 placed May 2014, finalized Feb 2015!

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas Edison

#3 Yvonne

Yvonne
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,519 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

Yes, I do believe in God and yes my infertility journey has both been helped by my faith and also caused me to feel at times like my faith is shattered by the pain and loss I've experienced. I do believe in a personal God who loves me and cares about my pain. I'm not sure exactly what he's doing in my life with my desire to have a child and this feels difficult. I also have experienced that I can pour out my heart to him, including pain, anger, hopelessness, difficult question about my life, my IF, and even about him. I have also had a very sweet experience of his love and comfort even in the midst of feeling very sad and broken.
  • gibasgirl likes this
Started ttc in fall 04
m/c@7 weeks in April 2005
2006 found out about pcos and male factor
Decided to adopt.....approved and waiting until agency closed in Nov. 2009
:(IVF#1 July/August 2010 No transfer due to OHSS 10 frozen embryos :)
FET#1 Oct 14 2010 beta #1 was 7, beta#2 was negative :(
FET#2-Jan. 27 2011-BFNFET #3-July 1, 2011.-BFP! looked okay for a while then ended "pregnancy of unknown location"Four embryos left.
FET#4-Feb. 17, 2012 two embryos transferred-grow embies grow! beta #1 44, #2 51 #3 207, #4 375...Found out it was ectopic lost the embies and both tubes-
I'm single now FET #5 in November 2014 BFN
FET #6 in February 2015.

#4 smc

smc

BiCentennial

• Cyclebase
  • 4,982 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with family and friends.

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:20 PM

When Dh and I were TTC one of my ex-boyfriends and his wife delivered a perfect, healthy little girl. He made a comment on Facebook about how he did not believe in God. I thought to myself, you wake up every morning to this perfect little girl how can you not believe? I have never been a very outwardly religious person but through our struggle with IF I have come to believe deeper and deeper especially with every blessing we have received. I believe that every baby we have has been a gift straight from God. Sometimes I feel like our struggle with IF was also a gift which has made us appreciate our blessings more.
  • gibasgirl likes this
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

#5 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 13,060 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:05 PM

Yes, I do believe in God and yes my infertility journey has both been helped by my faith and also caused me to feel at times like my faith is shattered by the pain and loss I've experienced. I do believe in a personal God who loves me and cares about my pain. I'm not sure exactly what he's doing in my life with my desire to have a child and this feels difficult. I also have experienced that I can pour out my heart to him, including pain, anger, hopelessness, difficult question about my life, my IF, and even about him. I have also had a very sweet experience of his love and comfort even in the midst of feeling very sad and broken.

Ditto. My words and sentiments exactly.
  • Yvonne likes this

#6 Ope

Ope
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,138 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility for now

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

I am an atheist, and I do not believe in God. I do believe in love and humanity an many moral principals, but that nothing to do with God, IMHO.
I am a scientist, and I believe in statistical chances. When I play a boardgame, sometimes i roll a dice and 6 comes out , other times only 1.
I alway notice when people ask the question related to infertility: Why me ? For me that is not even a question. Why some people tall , other short?
Because that how it happened in the genetic rulette. Life is a big unpredictable gamble, and we win some, and lose some.
We can effect our chances by doing the right thing: diet, excersice, but that may chance the chances a bit, but all the chances are still there: good and bad.
  • impatient, Flossie, BCgirl and 2 others like this
right now me : 37 Dh:40

TTC #1: natural TTC 1.5 yrs
Dh: 35, Severe Male factor infertility, morphology is 1-2%
Me: 32 , tubes open, no endo, regular ovulation, all hormones are good, 3rd day FSH 5.3 , antral follicle count is 12, only problem is my weight BMI: 30

IVF/ ICSI #1: 2008 February -McGill, Montreal
Long protocol: BCP for 1 month, burselin from CD21, 300 Gonal F and 150 Luveris for 10 days
ER: 11 egg , 6 mature , 5 fertilized, 3rd day transfer:a 7 cell & an 8 cell embyos, no frosties.
1st beta : 13dp3dt: 77, BFP
2008,November 19th: Adam has arrived 7 lb 4 oz, 21"

TTC #2: natural TTC 1.5 yr
Dh :39 morphology went up to 4%, we meet the IUI cutoff! count are fluctuating from 30 to 105 million, motility is great. Caryotyping is normal
Me: 36 FSH is slightly elevated and keep rising 8.5, 8.8, 8.9, 9.8 , AFC is still 12, everything else looks good.

IUI #1: Edmonton, 2011 January ,Clomid 50mg (x5), 106 mil ,68% motile, grade 4 :BFN
IUI #2: Edmonton, 2011 February, Clomid 50mg (x5), 30 mil, 57% motile, grade 3: BFN
IUI #3: Edmonton, 2011 March, Clomid 50mg (x5), 88 mil , 49% motile, grade 4: BFN
IVF#2: 2011 May, Edmonton: long protocol , nasal suprefact : CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
IVF#3: 2011 August, Edmonton: short protocol/natural start: CANCELLED due to high progesterone
IVF#4: 2001 September, Edmonton: short protocol with BCP: CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
Change clinic

IVF #5: 2012 March-April Hungary: stimulation starts march 28, 300 Menopur
mixed protocol: BCP for months, CD3: Menopur 300& lupron for 8 days
ER : April 8th , 4 eggs retrieved, all were mature and fertilized with ICSI and AH
ET : April 11th, 1 A quality 8 cell, and 1 A quality 4 cell embryo transferred, no frosties.
BFP on the HPT at 7dp3dt: happy 37th birthday to me :D
Beta: , 12dp3dt: 150, 2nd Beta, 15dp3dt: 550
Anna has arrived on 21st December after being induced at 39 week. She is 6 lb 9 oz, 20" , and has blue eyes, and long dark brown hair and just perfect !

#7 lynter

lynter
  • Global 100+
  • 571 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:57 PM

I also ditto Yvonne's response. Beautifully stated.

I'm fairly observant (Catholic) and I feel that, ultimately, things will work out as God means them to for us. This is probably one reason why I am at peace with the "limits" DH and I have set regarding ART. My only real struggle with my faith so far has been with the Church's stance on ART, but that issue was fleeting for me because, after all, there are a lot of things the Church preaches that I don't personally agree with.

I also do not ask "why me"? Why not me? Everyone has gifts and challenges; infertility happens to be one of my challenges and everyone else I know encounters different (and, I'm sure, no less painful) ones at some point in their lives. The good things in my life far outweigh the bad, and for this I am immensely grateful.

Lyn
  • mouse and Yvonne like this
<p>Please see "About Me" for cycle information</p><p>Welcomed our wonderful identical twin boys on April 16, 2012 and their sweet baby brother on February 25, 2014.

#8 frostedlemon

frostedlemon
  • 1000+
  • 1,989 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Clinic

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:26 PM

My view may be unpopular, but having experienced IF makes me really believe there is no god, or at least hope not. When so many potentially good parents have so much trouble to have one baby, and yet someone else can have so many kids and then kills them, or can't take care of them properly, or doesn't even want them, I think that pretty much proves it. And if there is, it's not one that I want to know.

(of course, my idea of "god" is that god is actually the energy that creates all living things and is not a single, sentient being that makes decisions and controls things. I can reconcile that idea with IF because then it's all luck anyway (still makes me mad about the unfairness of it all, but can deal with that), I just can't believe in a god that would make those decisions).

#9 Ope

Ope
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,138 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility for now

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:41 PM

My view may be unpopular, but having experienced IF makes me really believe there is no god, or at least hope not. When so many potentially good parents have so much trouble to have one baby, and yet someone else can have so many kids and then kills them, or can't take care of them properly, or doesn't even want them, I think that pretty much proves it. And if there is, it's not one that I want to know.

Maybe this view is not popular, but I totally get it, and I do not believe in god for the similar reason. When I was a teenager I was big on watching documentaries all around the globe. When I realized that hundreds of thousands babies born in Africa with HIV and /or starve to death within a few months of their life, I decided God can not exists. Or if it does exists, it certainly do not deserve my belief.
right now me : 37 Dh:40

TTC #1: natural TTC 1.5 yrs
Dh: 35, Severe Male factor infertility, morphology is 1-2%
Me: 32 , tubes open, no endo, regular ovulation, all hormones are good, 3rd day FSH 5.3 , antral follicle count is 12, only problem is my weight BMI: 30

IVF/ ICSI #1: 2008 February -McGill, Montreal
Long protocol: BCP for 1 month, burselin from CD21, 300 Gonal F and 150 Luveris for 10 days
ER: 11 egg , 6 mature , 5 fertilized, 3rd day transfer:a 7 cell & an 8 cell embyos, no frosties.
1st beta : 13dp3dt: 77, BFP
2008,November 19th: Adam has arrived 7 lb 4 oz, 21"

TTC #2: natural TTC 1.5 yr
Dh :39 morphology went up to 4%, we meet the IUI cutoff! count are fluctuating from 30 to 105 million, motility is great. Caryotyping is normal
Me: 36 FSH is slightly elevated and keep rising 8.5, 8.8, 8.9, 9.8 , AFC is still 12, everything else looks good.

IUI #1: Edmonton, 2011 January ,Clomid 50mg (x5), 106 mil ,68% motile, grade 4 :BFN
IUI #2: Edmonton, 2011 February, Clomid 50mg (x5), 30 mil, 57% motile, grade 3: BFN
IUI #3: Edmonton, 2011 March, Clomid 50mg (x5), 88 mil , 49% motile, grade 4: BFN
IVF#2: 2011 May, Edmonton: long protocol , nasal suprefact : CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
IVF#3: 2011 August, Edmonton: short protocol/natural start: CANCELLED due to high progesterone
IVF#4: 2001 September, Edmonton: short protocol with BCP: CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
Change clinic

IVF #5: 2012 March-April Hungary: stimulation starts march 28, 300 Menopur
mixed protocol: BCP for months, CD3: Menopur 300& lupron for 8 days
ER : April 8th , 4 eggs retrieved, all were mature and fertilized with ICSI and AH
ET : April 11th, 1 A quality 8 cell, and 1 A quality 4 cell embryo transferred, no frosties.
BFP on the HPT at 7dp3dt: happy 37th birthday to me :D
Beta: , 12dp3dt: 150, 2nd Beta, 15dp3dt: 550
Anna has arrived on 21st December after being induced at 39 week. She is 6 lb 9 oz, 20" , and has blue eyes, and long dark brown hair and just perfect !

#10 DeeJay

DeeJay

Optimist!

• 1000+
  • 1,163 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, outdoors, country living, my furbabies, my DH, anything but working!
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

I believe there could be greater forces we don't understand, but I don't believe in a Christian-type God. I think it's more likely that we live and we die and that's it, and there's really no greater reason or explanation other than that.

This is pretty much my thoughts as well. Just because we evolved a conciousness, doesn't mean when we die we are any different from a squirrel or a lion or whatever. We die, we are dead.

I was never brought up with religion though. Everyone has their own experience.
  • DiXie likes this
Deb & Chris
DH and I: 36-37
Married 2 years, together 8, trying the whole time!

DX: Tubal scarring from car accident @ 15yrs. One 100% blocked, 1 80% blocked. And due to age, low ovarian reserve.

DH's spermies are still swimmin away, no problems yay.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

First Cycle
Chemical pregnancy.

Second Cycle
Sucess! 2 Girls!! Avery & Sydney born June 12/11 at 30w1d.

See in the 'About Me' section on my profile for more details on protocols and timing.

#11 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 6,812 posts
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

I suspect my view may be even more unpopular still; but there is the argument that those are human - rather than God - caused problems and that God is as troubled by our cruelty, indifference, selfishness, etc, etc, etc, as well as our pain, as you are.

I am a believer and, much like Yvonne and others have said, admit that I do not always know what I'm meant to learn or gain from the troubles - infertility etc - I've had. At the same I know that God is a real and certain source of strength to get on with it and an inspiration to do what I can to make the world a little better.

I don't believe God is a puppet master willfully deciding this one will be infertile, that one will die in childbirth, and those over there will perish in a flood. I don't think God's like Santa keeping a list of whose naughty or nice and gifting us accordingly (or willy-nilly for that matter).

I believe WE are God's hands; so yeah, I can't save the millions facing famine or war but I can ensure I don't use more than I need, give what I can to those with less, choose to see the Christ in everyone especially those I find difficult, and take an active stand against war, violence, injustice, unfairness in healthcare services etc.

FWIW, on the "Why me?" question, I'll rework George Mallory with "Because I'm here". I don't believe I have 'deserved' my losses anymore than I have my gains, and I don't think I'm more (or less) deserving than anyone else.

YMMV :flowers:

• DiXie, Emily81, sharlene and 3 others like this
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Charity gives a meal; justice provides a place at the table.

#12 conky

conky
  • Global 100+
  • 746 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:29 PM

I'm also an atheist. When it comes to the "why me" question I've never wondered it in terms of will or fate or what I deserve or anything like that. I've wondered it in practical terms. Why have I had trouble conceiving? Why am I running out of eggs faster than other women? Was I born this way? Has something happened in my life that caused it? I wonder the practical why me. Sometimes I've thought it would be easier if I did believe in a god because then I'd have some sort of entity to direct my anger and bitterness toward. But instead I accept that this is my life, this is my body and these are my circumstances and I'll do whatever I can to try to make this happen. I'm not happy about it, but I don't think there's any grand reason for it. Just some practical reason that I don't quite understand.

I believe when you die, you die and that's it.

I was actually brought up exposed to the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses, but we were never heavily involved. Even as a small child I remember just being annoyed by it. I wasn't interested. I "believed" in God and Jesus and such because that was what I knew, but I never really bought into it if that makes sense. As I got older (into my teens) I considered myself agnostic. I didn't really believe in a specific, religious concept of god, but I didn't discount that there might some greater power. I just didn't really have an opinion either way. In my twenties I came to realize that it wasn't just that I had no opinion, but that I actively did not believe there was a god and I actually found it liberating.

So that's it. :) I asked the question because I'm interested, and because on fertility forums you tend to hear a lot references to miracles and god and such. So it made me curious about what people believe and how they relate it to their struggles with infertility.

Keep the comments coming! :)
  • DiXie, BCgirl and errantlight like this

#13 DeeJay

DeeJay

Optimist!

• 1000+
  • 1,163 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, outdoors, country living, my furbabies, my DH, anything but working!
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:42 PM

Don't get me wrong, I think miracles happen, I just don't think 'God' has anything to do with it.
  • Flossie and DiXie like this
Deb & Chris
DH and I: 36-37
Married 2 years, together 8, trying the whole time!

DX: Tubal scarring from car accident @ 15yrs. One 100% blocked, 1 80% blocked. And due to age, low ovarian reserve.

DH's spermies are still swimmin away, no problems yay.

First Cycle
Chemical pregnancy.

Second Cycle
Sucess! 2 Girls!! Avery & Sydney born June 12/11 at 30w1d.

See in the 'About Me' section on my profile for more details on protocols and timing.

#14 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2,601 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

definitely an interesting topic. sounds like overall whatever people believed, IF didn't change their belief, if anything enhanced or confirmed what they already thought (regardless of what that belief is...) I'm sure it's an over generalization, but from the initial comments here - definitely interesting.
:flowers:

I am 37, DH - 38
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

April 2017 - surprise PG

#15 impatient

impatient
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,816 posts
  • My Clinic:public adoption

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

I believe that every baby we have has been a gift straight from God.

I struggle with this. I understand the sentiment - when I see something beautiful or when something fortunate happens to me, I feel grateful and think about how amazing this world can be sometimes - but, I feel that if you believe this statement, you almost have no choice but to believe that the reverse is also true. God is giving gifts to some and punishing others. If there was some pattern, ie people who go to church get the good stuff, murderers and rapists get the bad stuff, it might make sense to me, but there isn't a pattern.

Those of you who are strong believers - how do you wrap your mind around that?

I find this a very interesting topic, BTW, and I hope no one feels offended by my comments. :)
  • Flossie likes this
Me: 41, DH: 44
TTC: since Jan, 2008 (age 34)

DH: Low morphology, low count. Me: Stage 2-3 endometriosis, non-functional fallopian tubes, small fibroids, low AFC, low poor responder ... anything else?

Jun 2008-Sep 2011 in a nutshell: One HSG, one very traumatic office hysteroscopy, one operative laparoscopy, three fresh IVF/ICSI cycles, one chemical, one early miscarriage, two tubal recanalizations, five IUIs (3 with Clomid).

May 2010 - Aug 2011 Attempted adoption application process through the BC MCFD. Aug 2011 Signed up with a private agency. On both waiting lists as of Apr 2012. Proposal through MCFD Jul 2012. Aug 2012 - Finally ... she's home and we're a family! : )

Adoption application #2 started Aug 2013. DD2 placed May 2014, finalized Feb 2015!

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas Edison

#16 smc

smc

BiCentennial

• Cyclebase
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:19 PM

I find this topic very interesting too. I believe that all people have a right to their opinion/ beliefs and I love that we are all able to share our thoughts and beliefs without fear of being judged! I love the ladies on this site!
  • mouse, DiXie and Luckypenny like this

#17 Cassandra_Angela

Cassandra_Angela
  • 1000+
  • 2,076 posts
  • My Clinic:HART

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:53 PM

I believe in "something" but whether its God i dont know. I was raised catholic but ive found that there is no particular religion that i really connect with.
I know that if i didnt have IF then i wouldnt have adopted the children that i did and i know for a fact that my appreciation of parenthood wouldnt be the same, i think God played a role in that plan but im not about to sit around expecting any miracles.
  • DiXie and Emily81 like this

Please see "about me" section for details

Pictures tell a thousand words: https://www.instagra...dra_angela1981/

#18 DiXie

DiXie
  • 1000+
  • 1,140 posts
  • Interests:photography & reading

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:03 AM

Don't get me wrong, I think miracles happen, I just don't think 'God' has anything to do with it.

I believe in "something" but whether its God i dont know. I was raised catholic but ive found that there is no particular religion that i really connect with.

I agree..

I am also raised Catholic, I go to church, I respect to some extent the "rules" but I don't think there is a "God",as a person in heaven and deciding what will happen to every one of us. God has nothing to do with my infertility, God had nothing to do with all people who died of cancer etc etc.
People created this vision of "God" so they had someone to blame for their faults and mistakes, it was a human defence mechanisam. I think we all carry "God" in our hearts, and I think the whole religion is based on a belief in something that we think exists,but it doesn't really, because someone decided to invent this vision of "God" to help people get through a tough time, to create rules or laws and scare them.

So, personally, I don't think there is a "God" but there is something in every human that makes us a little bit "Him"
Next time you help someone in need, consider your self "Him" because you are "Him"

#19 Duck

Duck
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,851 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Repromed

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:36 AM

I was raised Catholic, strict catholic, with nuns in school and the whole nine yards.
I don't believe in Jesus and the christian version of god. It has nothing to do with being infertile, and everything to do with how I was raised. If I wasn't raised in a strict catholic culture, I wouldn't be such a passionate atheist.
I recently (in the past few years) really started to think about it (do I believe that Jesus was born of a virgin - NOPE, etc). I went through the entire list of all that was catholic, and I don't buy any of it, to the point where if I'm friends with someone on FB and they keep doing god references I de-friend them because I find it really awkward, as all I can think is "Your brain washed", your using some external fictional charater to back up your backwards views (no rights for gay people, no ivf or abortions) and if you ever do anything wrong like oh be a peadophile, all you have to do is "confess" and "god will forgive you" (that's more directed to my mother who is a raging crazy bible pushing, holy water hiding in my house, crazy catholic).

All that said I do believe that there is an energy that flows in all of us, people, and nature, and that when we die, our energy returns to the earth and our spirit joins the other spirits until we are ready to live again (in the form of another human - baby).
  • ladylazarus, YellowBee and breezyboo like this

Diagnosed with endometrosis at age 19

5 pelvic surgeries

2 IVF, numerous FETs

2 different gestational carriers

Now mother of 2 year old twins.

#20 conky

conky
  • Global 100+
  • 746 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

I believe that every baby we have has been a gift straight from God.

I struggle with this. I understand the sentiment - when I see something beautiful or when something fortunate happens to me, I feel grateful and think about how amazing this world can be sometimes - but, I feel that if you believe this statement, you almost have no choice but to believe that the reverse is also true. God is giving gifts to some and punishing others. If there was some pattern, ie people who go to church get the good stuff, murderers and rapists get the bad stuff, it might make sense to me, but there isn't a pattern.

Those of you who are strong believers - how do you wrap your mind around that?

I find this a very interesting topic, BTW, and I hope no one feels offended by my comments. :)

I completely agree. I can understand people believing in God, or some sort of higher power but I find this difficult to reconcile as well.

I also mean no offence and am not trying to argue with anyone so please don't take it that way! :)

#21 frostedlemon

frostedlemon
  • 1000+
  • 1,989 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Clinic

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:18 AM

All that said I do believe that there is an energy that flows in all of us, people, and nature, and that when we die, our energy returns to the earth and our spirit joins the other spirits until we are ready to live again (in the form of another human - baby).

THIS!

I have this same idea (or at least I think it's what you're saying) and for the life of me I cannot explain it to anyone. They always say, "so you believe in reincarnation", but that's not it because it's not actually you and there is no way to remember past lives because it's not *you*, it's just the energy that animated you becomes somebody else, because there's only so much energy and so many consciousnesses to go around.

#22 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 6,812 posts
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:13 AM

This belief underpins my belief in God actually. It's a basic principle of science that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only changed; so, to my mind (and I admit to not being a great intellectual, lol) it must therefore be continually recycled and remodeled. However, (again to my limited intellect) there must, somewhere/somehow, be a source for this which is, for lack of a better concept/term, God.

I believe this energy source is more positive than negative but I'm not sure how much direct influence it has in our daily lives - other than being a fount of strength, source of feelings of interconnectedness and inspiration. As I've posted, I don't confuse God with Santa or think God will make sure there's a parking space/baby/easy life for me. I pray, but mostly to count my blessings and to help me focus on my needs rather than my wants, I follow a Christian path - partly because that's what I was raised with but mostly because underneath all the accretions we humans have built on it, is a lifepath that both challenges and equips me to become a better person. I don't think all things must be literal to be true. I think human created religion not that humans created God.

As for an afterlife; I don't know and I'm happy to leave it to God/the universe. If there's nothing - then I have nothing to worry about; if there's something, well, I can only throw myself on the mercy of what I believe to be an essentially good and merciful 'source of all'.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Charity gives a meal; justice provides a place at the table.

#23 smc

smc

BiCentennial

• Cyclebase
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

Has anyone read any of the books by Sylvia Brown? While I am not sure how accurate all of her predictions might be I do like her ideas about heaven and how we come to earth to learn lessons and that we have life plans that we have set out for ourselves in order to learn those lessons. I also believe that we do come back a number of times as different people in order to learn different lessons. She talks about there being a God and Mother God, which I am not sure I believe. It is funny because I seem to pick and choose bits from different religions but my faith is mostly based on your everyday Christian teachings with some things added here and there :)

#24 Edie

Edie
  • 1000+
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Having a baby.

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:01 PM

What a wonderful idea for a thread! Good on you, Conky.

Do I believe in God? I do. All those poets and painters and songwriters over the centuries must have been onto something!
  • mouse, gibasgirl and Yvonne like this
Me 45 DH 41
ttc 3 years
Unexplained
Nov 2008 IVF#1 BFN
IVF#2 Jan 09 BFN
IVF/ICSI#3 Antagonist protocol March 2009. BFP. Thank you God.
6 weeks non-viable. D&C.
IVF#4 ER Aug 09 BFN
FET # 1 BFN
IVF # 5 BFN
FET # 2 BFP
u/s # 1 a singleton, perfect measurements and heartbeat.
u/s # 2 healthy growth plus second sac sighted. 'vanishing twin syndrome'
u/s # 3 at 9 weeks - all good. Baby waved.
u/s # 4 (love those ultrasounds) 10.5 weeks Baby scratched it's ear and did the twist.
NT scan at 12 weeks two days - all good. No need for further testing. IT'S A BOY!
20 week morphology scan and all is well.
EDD August 21st 2010
Waters broke 19th Aug
Induced on Aug 20
DS born 4.29pm Aug 20, 2010
Our joy Jan 2014, DE cycle Zlin, CZ Feb 7 Beta positive

#25 Tracy1234

Tracy1234
  • Cyclebase
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the dirt aka gardening, my big hairy four legged kid and also the 3 three smaller ones, too! I love to cook and bake, but am trying to cook and bake low cal these days :D

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

This thread reminds me of what DH's Grandpa said at our wedding. He's a Mason and his term was "Great creator of the universe" and we both really liked that, as neither one of us is really religious. I'm more spiritual, for lack of a better word. I believe there's something higher than me, but what? I dunno. And when my Mom talks about praying to someone, she always says She ;)

It seems that when people are at the lowest part of their lives, they find someone to talk to, quietly, or without saying anything out loud at all.
Me 35 DH 32

Started TTC 2008
Unexplained...doesn't that just mean "we don't know!!"
July 2009 BFP naturally, ended in m/c

Edmonton fertility center
Tried clomid for 3 months
IUI with clomid 2009 - BFN
1st IVF
June 2010 - BFP - Miscarriage
High progesterone levels pre ET is thought to be the hang up :(
Found out I've got a low ovarian reserve due to childhood illness - ITP
2nd IVF
Short protocol, menopur, orgalutron, no suppression
BFN
Our RE tells us it's time to move on

VFC
DHEA
Genetic testing - normal
Suprefact, dexamethasone, Gonal F, Luveris, estrogen, etc.
BFFN - Yep, that's an extra F, guess what it stands for? :D

Natural OMG!!
June 6th 13dpo beta 226
June 8th beta 446
July 26th u/s 144bpm measuring a couple days behind
August 12th u/s 165bpm measuring right on time!