#1 minette

minette
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Royal Alex Edmonton Alberta Dr.Motan

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:33 PM

Hello,

just wondering how long is the average time before a heartbeat can be found.
My retrival was March 29, five day transfer on April 2. It's been 6 weeks since
the transfer and the doctor is telling me he can't find a heartbeat and that
it's too late and we have to abort.
He can see the yolk sac and the heart pole but no heartbeat...
I think they should at least do one more ultrasound next week...

Your thoughts...

#2 lenann

lenann
  • Global 100+
  • 479 posts
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:12 AM

this is what I pulled from the internet..which I'm sure you have already searched for

If an ultrasound is done at 6 to 7 weeks and a heartbeat is not detected, does that mean there is a problem? No it does not mean there is a problem. The heartbeat may not be detected for reasons that include: tipped uterus, larger abdomen, or inaccurate dating with last menstrual period. Heartbeats are best detected with transvaginal ultrasounds early in pregnancy. Concern typically develops if there is no fetal heart activity in an embryo with a crown-rump length greater than 5mm. If you receive an ultrasound exam after week 6, your healthcare provider will begin to be concerned if there is no gestational sac.

This would be 6-7 weeks after LMP. I don't see the harm in the doctor allowing you to have another u/s in a week's time just to confirm and to let you have no questions about viability if none is seen.

I hope that he is wrong and that a heartbeat is detected.
[color="#0000FF"]--------------------

Me: 44 DH: 41
TTC: 2 1/2 years
May 2007 - ectopic pregnancy
Sept 2008 - 1st appointment Foothills
Diagnosed both tubes blocked and DH has 80% antibodies..
IVF # 1: April 2009 BFN
IVF #2: July 2009 BFP but m/c at 6 weeks
D/E #1: Spain Feb 2010, bfn
D/E #2: NY May 2010 - BFP TWINS!!!!
Baby Girls arrived Jan 27/2011 via c-section
src="http://lb2f.lilypie.com/ia8Xp8.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie Second Birthday tickers" />

#3 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Cyclebase
  • 3,508 posts
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:37 AM

Although with IVF the questions around LMP/dates don't apply, it's not all that uncommon for no heartbeat to be picked up at 6 weeks. My clinic, as a rule, won't do u/s before 6w6d for that very reason.

Fingers crossed you're able to get an u/s next week and that it shows everything you hope to see!

me 48, he 50 30 years together!
History: ectopic; late miscarriage
Many child 'free' years
Success on 2nd IVF (Halleujah! and happy 44th birthday to me!)
SHE'S HERE! SHE'S HERE!Born 05/11/2010 8:25pm. 5 lbs 13 ozs of absolute sunshine!
Tea parties, mud pies, and glitter!
Exploring options for IVF#3 (OE).
Test results appear promising and we are greenlighted.
4 mature eggs retrieved 04/06/14. All fertilized normally; scheduled for transfer on 04/09/14.
All 4 on board; beta set for 04/17/14. Second beta scheduled for 04/21/14. 3rd beta set for 04/23/14. Sono to see what might be going on set for 04/24.
Waiting game is over; another ectopic.

#4 anytime now

anytime now
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,561 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:40 AM

6 weeks sounds early however I believe that it is all about CRL which stands for crown rump length. If it is greater than 5.0 with no heartbeat it means a non viable pregnancy, as I understand it. I dont know any clinic that would not try to preserve a possible pregnancy so sadly i would expect that they dont have any doubt, however there is no harm in requesting a follow up ultrasound if you will sleep better. I am so sorry to hear what you are going through, I have had 2 miscarriages and it is so unfair. Hugs to you
Me: 44 (sigh) DB is 40 (Dear boyfriend!)

TTC from March 2009-March 2011 before DB had arrived on the scene
About 9 IUIs, 3 IVFs total

2 pregnancies with 7 week miscarriage requiring D&C
2 chemical pregnancies

April 2011 began a relationship now with a wonderful guy with an 8 year old son.
Sept 2011 Natural BFP while trying not to conceive (how ironic)
First Beta Day 15 from LMP was 851, Beta 4, 19 days post ovulation 5382
7wk US showed a heartbeat of 150! 9 wk US HB 185

May 19 2012 DS is born!!

#5 blueeyes781999

blueeyes781999
  • 1000+
  • 338 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:02 AM

I definitely think it is too early as you are only 5 weeks 4 days today. So I hope they will give you another ultrasound in a week. Make sure you stay on your meds. Good luck and sticky vibes to you.
Me: 35
DH: 37
Fur Baby: 5
DS: 2 1/2
TTC: 17+ years. Started May/95.

1st IVF cycle(Nov. 2008): BFP resulting in a miscarriage(Feb. 2009).
1st FET cycle (July 2009): BFN
Natural Pregnancy (September 2009): BFP Due: May 29, 2010 DS born May 12, 2010
TTC #2 November 2010 to October 2012: 1 chemical pregnancy in Aug 2012 all the rest bfn's.
November 2012 to present: Not sure what's going on with me and my body but I need to stop thinking about trying to conceive so I am going to take a break from these boards. I wish everyone luck and baby dust and hopefully I will be back soon with a little bean.

#6 impatient

impatient
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,781 posts
  • My Clinic:public adoption

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:08 AM

I would ask for another ultrasound.

I seem to recall a story here at ivf.ca of someone who was told the same as you, but they insisted on another ultrasound. A week later they found out that the first technician had been wrong.

I think my clinic does the first ultrasound at 7 weeks.

Fingers crossed for you.
Me: 41, DH: 44
TTC: since Jan, 2008 (age 34)

DH: Low morphology, low count. Me: Stage 2-3 endometriosis, non-functional fallopian tubes, small fibroids, low AFC, low poor responder ... anything else?

Jun 2008-Sep 2011 in a nutshell: One HSG, one very traumatic office hysteroscopy, one operative laparoscopy, three fresh IVF/ICSI cycles, one chemical, one early miscarriage, two tubal recanalizations, five IUIs (3 with Clomid).

May 2010 - Aug 2011 Attempted adoption application process through the BC MCFD. Aug 2011 Signed up with a private agency. On both waiting lists as of Apr 2012. Proposal through MCFD Jul 2012. Aug 2012 - Finally ... she's home and we're a family! : )

Adoption application #2 started Aug 2013. DD2 placed May 2014. Now waiting/hoping for adoption order.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas Edison

#7 Erin_G

Erin_G
  • Cyclebase
  • 443 posts
  • My Clinic:AART

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:11 AM

It could be too early so I wouldn't want to abort it yet. I know lots of women see heartbeats at 6 weeks but not always.

Hoping that's all it is and you get a heartbeat soon. Sorry for all the stress.
Erin & Cory
So fortunate to have twin boys from IVF #1
Thinking of the embabies we have on ice.

January 13- CD 1
March 2- ER, 10 mature eggs retrieved
March 3- 9 out of the 10 fertilized!
March 7- Transfered 2 perfect blasts and froze 6.
March 23- Beta Day- 5500!!
April 7- 1st ultrasound- TWINS!
May 12- NT scan- both babies looking good
July 11- 20 week scan- two perfect looking boys 15oz each; cervix 4.5cm
August 3- 24 week scan- both boys looking good, weighing in at 1lb8oz each
September 1- 28 week scan- I have two big, active boys- Baby A 2lbs10oz, Baby B 2lbs15oz
October 10- Nathan & Brayden are here! Arrived safe and sound at 33w5d

src="http://lb2f.lilypie.com/JxSbm4.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie Second Birthday tickers" />

#8 Emily81

Emily81
  • 1000+
  • 1,503 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:AART- Halifax

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:13 AM

FWIW- My clinic does 1st u/s at 8 weeks for this reason. Wishing you lots of luck!

Me: 31, DH:34
? Mild PCOS/ Mild Male factor- Low Morph- 9%
TTC- Since Dec 2005

August/Sept 2009- IUI + injectabes cycle- BFN- was converted from IUI to IVF(20 follies growing) and then back to IUI(3 mature follies)....

IVF/ICSI cycle Sept/Oct 2010- BFP- (I insisisted on ICSI against my Drs wishes, and in the end we needed it)..
Oct 12- ER- 19 eggs, 15 mature, 6 fert
Oct 15- ET- morula- 18/20 & a 10 cell- 19/20 (Faith & Wish)
-636- 12dp3dt, #2- 4,267- 17dp3dt
Nov 23- 8 week u/s- TWINS
Incompetent Cervix diagnosed at 24 weeks. Hospital bedrest 24- 33 weeks due to 0.6 cm cervix, 1-2 cms dialated(at 24 weeks)
May 16th- 2011- Baby A breaks his water
May 18th- 2011- Boys arrive 33w1d
Baby A- Chase Michael- 4 lbs 4 oz, 17.5 in, 3:01 PM Baby B- Carter Luke- 4 lbs 2 oz, 16.5 in, 3:55 PM

[b]NEVER SAY NEVER..
QJmfm4.png

#9 Jujubon

Jujubon
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • My Clinic:CWRC

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hello,

Your thoughts...

Just wanted to share, I had my retrieval March 30. And transfer on April 2nd. I assumed everything was fine until this past Wed when I went in for US and my doctor said the baby stopped growing two weeks ago at 6 weeks, ( I though I was 6 weeks but doctor said I am 8 weeks, they calculate LMP) Moving on, she gave me some choices , one being that I wait one week have another US, and take it from there..... The other have a DC right away.. I opted to wait... Now I'm home in a trance... For sure it will be the longest week in my life,but I have to be 100% sure......hope my story helps you in requesting a second US.

#10 anytime now

anytime now
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:18 PM

So sorry you are going through this JuJubon

On a side note, you would have 3 options if there is no heartbeat-not just a D and C. I chose the D and C option, and would highly recommend it. But there are other options, and I was upset after the fact as I didn't feel that they were properly explained to me and I would have also liked to have heard other women's experiences.

Please message me if you want to know more, at any point.

Hugs to you

Hello,

Your thoughts...

Just wanted to share, I had my retrieval March 30. And transfer on April 2nd. I assumed everything was fine until this past Wed when I went in for US and my doctor said the baby stopped growing two weeks ago at 6 weeks, ( I though I was 6 weeks but doctor said I am 8 weeks, they calculate LMP) Moving on, she gave me some choices , one being that I wait one week have another US, and take it from there..... The other have a DC right away.. I opted to wait... Now I'm home in a trance... For sure it will be the longest week in my life,but I have to be 100% sure......hope my story helps you in requesting a second US.

Me: 44 (sigh) DB is 40 (Dear boyfriend!)

TTC from March 2009-March 2011 before DB had arrived on the scene
About 9 IUIs, 3 IVFs total

2 pregnancies with 7 week miscarriage requiring D&C
2 chemical pregnancies

April 2011 began a relationship now with a wonderful guy with an 8 year old son.
Sept 2011 Natural BFP while trying not to conceive (how ironic)
First Beta Day 15 from LMP was 851, Beta 4, 19 days post ovulation 5382
7wk US showed a heartbeat of 150! 9 wk US HB 185

May 19 2012 DS is born!!