3 replies to this topic

#1 wannabeamamma

wannabeamamma
  • 64 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:ONE

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hey everyone,

My husband and I would like to look into an international adoption but I'm a little overwhelmed and confused about who to talk to about it. I see a couple of agencies listed on the Ministry's website and I went to a support group where we had a social worker come and talk. From what I understand, you need to do the Homestudy and Pride Training first. Should I contact the agency to do this or should I contact the social worker? Does the agency have their own social worker? Should you wait to contact the agency until after the homestudy and Pride training? Also, we are looking into adopting from India and it says that couples must be together for five years. Does that mean you have to be married for 5 years or does that mean you have to be together total (ie married and dating) for 5 years? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 geniegirl

geniegirl
  • Global 100+
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Reading - novels, non-fiction, poetry, self-help, anything/ writing - diaries, journalism, fiction/ family/ dinners, dinner parties, good friends, good conversation/ how to live a balanced life
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

thanks for asking these questions. my husband and i are currently in the adoption process for children's aid. but i'd love to adopt internationally as well. it's truly overwhelming. but maybe we can research this together?

#3 frostedlemon

frostedlemon
  • 1000+
  • 1,344 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Clinic

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

Other people may have better input that I have, since we never got into the actual process beyond figuring out what to start with, but this is what we learned. Not sure where you are, but I'm in Ontario (in case that makes any difference). I found it super confusing trying to figure out what to start with since there's so many steps and no one really says how they connect. We were going to do all the stuff privately rather than through a CAS because the wait list for CAS in our area is like 2 1/2 years just to take the courses. Yikes.

Before you can sign up with an agency (at which point you'd hopefully know what type of adoption you want and have researched which agencies can help you with that), you need the PRIDE and the home study to be completed and for the report from the HS to be written and your HS person to approve you to go on the adoption list, from what I understand.

So.... you need to do the PRIDE courses and the home study before you can do anything else. We decided that we would sign up for the courses because they give you a lot info about the types of adoption (we hadn't decided what type we wanted) and also the guy who teaches in our area also can do the home study, so we figured we'd get to know him through the classes and then if we liked him, we'd do the home study with him and if not, we'd look for someone else. It sounds like the PRIDE courses are pretty easy to get out of the way and done (assuming you live in an area where they're offered frequently and you can sign up quickly). The guy we were talking to said that you could expect that part to take 8 months to a year, though apparently he's a bit on the faster side, since I've heard most places it's a year to a year and a half.

What I'm not sure is if you know what agency you want, if you can contact them to ask about social workers that they work with a lot, or if that's totally separate. I'd say you could phone them up and see what they have to say, at the worst they'll say they can't help you until you're approved and then you can just contact a social worker on your own. I found a lot of places were quite helpful when I emailed them with comments; I think they're used to getting confused "help! where do I start?" queries.

I hope if I'm wrong with any of this, someone will correct me, but that is the way I understand it to go.

Good luck!

#4 geniegirl

geniegirl
  • Global 100+
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Reading - novels, non-fiction, poetry, self-help, anything/ writing - diaries, journalism, fiction/ family/ dinners, dinner parties, good friends, good conversation/ how to live a balanced life
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

hi everyone - we got into PRIDE classes at Toronto's CAS fairly quickly. A couple of months after that, we began our homestudy. So CAS is kind of hit and miss, depending on the staffing they have at the time. But basically (i'm still in the process), i would say fill out the paperwork for CAS as well. It's not too intense and comes in stages, so it's not too overwhelming. It's also FREE. I really love our worker. He's gay, urban, and very cool and understanding - totally 'gets' me and my husband.

Now there is no official timeline for how long it takes to get a child...because it depends on what children are available and what you will take on as a couple. So i'll keep everyone posted once our homestudy is done. I've heard alot of positive stories though, so i'm optimistic. i will let everyone know what happens step by step. fingers crossed!!!