Photo
- - - - -

Diminished Ovarian Reserve at 35

71 replies to this topic

Poll: Diminished Ovarian Reserve at 35 (93 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you fallen pregnant with diminished ovarian reserve between ages of 35 - 38?

1. yes (44 votes [47.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.31%

2. no (49 votes [52.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.69%

Vote Login to vote

#26 Miraclesdohappen

Miraclesdohappen
  • 16 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:SOFT

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

Ladies, this string has given me the most hope I've had for quite some time now. I was diagnosed with DOR in January after my second IVF attempt. My first IVF attempt was a bust - I didn't respond to the medication and the cycle was cancelled. For my second IVF my RE put me on the maximum dosage of meds that he could and I still didn't respond very well. I had only 8 follicles, 5 eggs retrieved, and only 1 successfully fertilized. By Day 3 we had a very weak 4-cell embryo that had tried to pronucleate but then corrected itself. We still did the transfer, but we ended up BFN.

My doctor decided that based on my poor response to the maximum meds he could give me and the fact that my FSH levels were 8.4, he said that I have DOR. I have been so afraid to try again because last time was so emotionally draining, but I'm going to go for it in July or August. I'm doing acupuncture, seeing a naturopath and taking numerous herbs and hormones like DHEA, CoQ10, Vitex, etc. I'm also switching up my protocol and I'm going to do a short protocol using Femara (Letrozole) and Menopur.

Until reading this string, I've still been pretty scared to go ahead with this next IVF. But reading your positive stories has been so uplifiting for me and I'm certain now that I'm doing the right thing by trying again! Thanks ladies!
  • shishe likes this

Referred to SOFT clinic in October 2009

Dx: Unexplained - problems with mid-cycle spotting/brown discharge

Started cycling with Femara, Bravelle and Prometrium
8 IUI's during 2010 - all BFN
(brown discharge problem occurring less with hormone meds, but still not completely gone)

January/February 2011 - taking a mental break and trying to get AF figured out (consistent brown discharge and no real AF happening)

March 2011 - Attempting to move on to IVF now...
Scheduled for potential ER date on May 12, 2011

IVF #1 - May 3rd, 2011 - cancelled due to poor response to stims.
IVF #2 - ER December 1st/ET December 4th, 2011 = BFN

Started acupuncture, changing stressful lifestyle at work, taking CoQ10, Vitex, fish oil and a little bit of DHEA

IVF #3 - ER August 2nd/ET August 5th, 2012 = BFP at first beta. Numbers went down on 2nd beta. Chemical Pregnancy. BFN

October 2012 - went for 2nd opinion. I'm a poor responder and my eggs are poor quality. 

January 2013 - tried one last IUI for closure before we move onto donor eggs - BFP!!! OMG!!

(I was on DHEA 3x/day for 3 months, and then clomid, menopur, hcg trigger shot)

BETA #1 = 198

BETA #2 = 699

Ultrasound to hear heartbeat scheduled: March 11th, 2013

EDD:  October 17, 2013

#27 Heartbeat

Heartbeat

Xxx

• Global 100+
  • 101 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Clinic/ ONE Fertility

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hi I would like
To chime in on the DoR front. Very interested in protocols. See my signature for details. Did iVF with donor and did not work but also suspect we were not on the best protocol. I find with older woman the more I read the more close "natural" we stay and less suppression seems to be key. Our ovaries are tender and need to de dealt with gently. Quality over quantity :-). I would be interested I protocols and hope more people will join and share information. Thank you for your wonderful stories. A positive outlook and support is a huge part of the journey.

Look forward to your feedback !
Me 40 (just turned) DH 42
DD 2 yrs (Love of my LIfe)
Oct 2011-IUI #1: 1 folli- canceled :-(
Nov 2011-IUI #2: 2 folli, HCG trigger, transfer, prog tablets = BFN

Dec 2011- break, weird cycle late period, BFP??

Jan 2012- went 4 b/w on Day 1, dx: high FSH 20.5 :-( heartbroken
AF came 2 weeks late... Started femmerra... Let's see what happens. was not asked for follow up, what?!...left and took a vacation.

* So far my DR. At OFC did not even ask for further consultation. She just told me over the phone that if this doesn't work, it's time to throw in the towel! Is it weird to ask for 2ond opinion in same clinic?
*Regrets: Why was I not encouraged to go straight to IVE in October 2011 when my AFC was 8-10!! (so what if 2 short of 12 min.! Had no idea that was a possibility) arrrrggg!

Feb. 2012- IUI #3: natural cycle, HCG triggar, insemination mistimed (thanks a lot) - BFN

*Switched Drs*
-After a lot of soul searching and encouragment from previous Dr.s assistant, took referral for second opinion. Best decision ever! new b/w with new Dr., baseline, FSH 5.5, E2-400s (*sigh*), AFC 6. Waiting for AMH test

Apr 2012- IVF #1-Getting ready for IVF with donor egg- April 2012- DE from sister who is 38 yrs, yikes! (it was all we were comfortable with, she is older but everything looks good-fingers crossed)
May 29- 2 embies ....2WW!
BFN- wasn't meant to be

#28 leigh14

leigh14
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,454 posts
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

Heartbroken,

I would agree that sometimes keeping more "natural" is the way to go with DOR. For me, I believe that this made the difference. My doctor's goal was never to get a high number of eggs. He knew it wouldn't be in the cards for me. On my cycle with him I started with an AFC of 4 and only 3 follicles responded. He kept me on a low dose protocol and aimed to get just a few high quality embryos. In the end, only two were retrieved. My stim protocol was 150 Puregon for the cycle....very low maintenance. I also did some immune therapies which were quite specific to my case. I really do think that protocol can make all the difference.

Best of luck!

Leigh
  • gibasgirl and Lisa1981 like this
Me: 40
Dx: DH: Vasectomy; need IVF/ICSI ME: D.O.R. and many immunological issues. (Initially presented as "normal" but issues were only discovered after IVF attempt #2 and #3 after testing at new clinic)
IVF attempt #1 Nov.2009, Age 37: Long "Lupron" protocol
Dec.2009: Cycle cancelled due to oversuppression
IVF attempt #2, Age 38: April 2010: 3 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 2 fertilized, ET of 2 embryos BFN
IVF atempt #3 at new clinic: November 2010, Age 38: 5 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 4 fertilized, ET of 2 blastocysts BFP
Strong beta numbers but babies not measuring on track but one heartbeat is present. Followup u/s reveals no HB's :( Had D&C--so sad.
Moved to new clinic closer to home + more of a focus on testing for potential immunological factors:
Further testing reveals three mutations related to inherited thrombophilia (2 MTHFR mutations and PA1-1 mutation), positive ANA, elevated NK cells and cytokines and low levels of leukocyte antibodies (LADS), Recommended Immunological treatment: Humira, LIT, IVig and blood thinners if PG
IVF Protocol: Low stim for me/ TESE needed for DH; took Humira in late August and early September; taking DHEA plus Co-Enzyme Q10, vitamins for DH just for good measure! September--two trips to Mexico for LIT treatment, treatments 3 weeks apart
Initial re-testing through Alan Beer Centre after some of the immune treatments reveals only cytokines were lowered, NKs still high and LAD numbers still low. Another LIT in Mexico is recommended. We decide to begin cycle on doctor's recommendation of just doing IVIG.
IVF#4, Age 39 : November 2011: Worst AFC EVER--a whopping 4! Three follicles responded, two eggs were retrieved. Three day transfer of two Grade 1 8 cell embryos: "Fahita" & "Burrito" Stick, stick, stick little ones!
BFP! Beta of 569
Viability u/s at 6 w 2d shows TWO babies measuring on track with heartbeats of 121. Looks like babies might be sharing the same amniotic sac.
Second u/s at 7w 2 d shows ONE baby with hb of 150, measuring 7 w 3 days. No sign of twin. Vanishing twin syndrome?
Third u/s at 8 w 2d shows ONE baby with hb of 170, measuring 8 w 3 days. Looks like a little jellybean!
12 week u/s at 12 w 2 days and baby is measuring 12 w 5 days with a heart beat of 150. Baby mooned us and waved at us with one hand....looked like a "royal" wave to me!
13 week doctor's appointment, HB=155 on doppler
14 week u/s to check cervix, HB=148
16 week u/s to check cervix, HB=138, baby had hiccups!
20 week u/s--everything looks good! HB=130, looks like we're having a GIRL!
IPS results very good!
39 weeks: Our baby girl arrived!!! She is healthy and beautiful! We are so happy! :)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

#29 LWill

LWill
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

My wife's doctor had said that her FSH was too high at 16.3, we started taking DHEA and it dropped to 7.0 after 3 months and the next month we got pregnant naturally. We had told the doctor's office that her FSH had dropped and we were to start our 3rd IVF cycle when my wife did not have her period, she took the HPT and it was positive. I sure did enjoy calling the doctor's office to tell them that we had to cancel our cycle because my wife was pregnant. Now I wish I would have waited before buying the Gonal-F and Menopur;-)
  • leigh14 and Baby 4 Millers like this
8/2011 - Changed from IVF to IUI due to no mature eggs BFN
11/2011 - 1st IVF which was BFP
12/2011 - Terminate pregnancy due to being tubal
6/2012 - Cancelled IVF due to natural pregnancy
7/2012 - M/C
11/2012 - Changed from IVF to IUI due to 3 mature eggs BFN
12/2013 - Decided to go Donor route
1/14/13 - Hold Donor, had a natural pregnancy
1/15/13 - HCG 581
1/17/13 - HCG 1,350
2/05/13 - Sonogram Scheduled

#30 BooBoo

BooBoo
  • 3 posts
  • My Clinic:Genisis

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:36 AM

Hi All,
I am new to this forum and IVF process. MY FSH is currently 31 (originally 27, however it got worse after taking DHEA). I am currently waiting for my period and will then start the IVF with estrogen patch. Should I bring down my FSH first before starting my first IVF ??
Me 34 DOR and Stage 4 Endometriosis
BF 31 Perfect

June starting my 1st IVF
FSH 27 however after taking DHEA FSH now 31

#31 Hope_123

Hope_123
  • Global 100+
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:58 AM

Hi BooBoo and Welcome.
I have high FSH too, although I can't remember the number. I think it was around 20 or something. I am at the same clinic as you are and my doctor put me on DHEA and CoQ10. I have also been doing other supplements like Vitamin D, and fish oils. I haven't retested my FSH yet to see if it has come down.

In my case, my doctor advised me to wait and would only consider me for an IUI, not an IVF because of my high FSH. Have you had an antral follicle count yet (AFC)? What other testing have you had?

I think that the doctors base a lot of their decision on whether to go forward with IVF on the AFC. I am still pretty new to all of this and am sure other ladies on here will have more advice. I think that the lower you can get your FSH the better, because in theory it means you will respond better to the medications.

Try to stay positive and hopeful. There are quite a few ladies on here who have had successful healthy pregnancies with high FSH. Reading some of their stories can be very inspiring. It only takes one good egg!!

Our boy/girl twins arrived early but are doing really well. They're getting stronger every day and we are looking forward to having them home soon.

Posted Image

#32 Highest hopes

Highest hopes
  • Global 100+
  • 601 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:McGill & ARTUS

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

For those of you who've used DHEA, did you get your level tested & monitored to make sure it wasn't too high?

I got mine tested & it was within the normal range, so never considered supplementation due to fear of risks/side-effects, but with so many success stories, I'm considering supplementing + monitoring. As long as it's within the normal range with supplementation, then I wonder if the risks are minimized?

Thanks in advance for any insight & congrats to everyone with BFPs!
Dx: Age (40+) & Endometriosis & Tubal & DNA fragmentation

IUI & IVF & FET = BFN
Pinterest.com/aquablueglow

#33 Raspberry

Raspberry
  • 1000+
  • 1,767 posts
  • My Clinic:UBC / VFC

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

Highest Hope - I get tested before and mine was on the lower side so i took it. After 4 months i had awful back acne and i had a very bad cycle so i stoped taking it. A couple of months ago i was in Seattle and found the 7-keto DHEA. This is a metabolized form of DHEA so no side effects because it cant convert to Estrogen or Testosterone. ( If you take the normal DHEA the hormone usually takes testosterone route so you get bad acne and deep voice etc.). I think Dr Oz had the 7-keto on his show as well. I e-mailed Dr Fiona as she said it's very safe to take. :)
  • Highest hopes and shishe like this
Me: 37
DH: 42
DX: Endo + DORUBC swithed to VFC in April2010
IVF#1 - June 2011 Natural start - Antagonist - BFN
IVF#2 - Nov 2011 Flare protocol from hell - Nothing to transfer...
IVF#3 - 2012...Mini IVF..??? Waiting for a miracle...
IVF#3 - Start EPP March 14th. ( 4mg Estrace a day) - Baseline u/s on March 28 2012 - AFC=1!! WOW!! The worst AFC ever. Cycle cancelled
IVF#4 - Mini IVF! 2 eggs - No mircale for us...time to move on..Moving to DE!

Our prayers been answered...An angel found us...she is offering the biggest gift and we are saying yes yes yes!
We are so happy and thankful.

DE IVF- Jan/Feb 2013...I have a good feeling about 2013!

2013 Feb 05- Our lovely donor first u/s! 75 follicles! Amazing

2013 Feb 15- First u/s at VFC...follicles looking good...my lining is 10mm! So happy! Intralipids, Medrol.

2013Feb 21- ER..got 40 eggs! Over the moon...the wait begins and FX for good news!
2013 Feb 26 - Transferred 1 day 5 already hatching embryo...17 made it to freeze..Amazing!!
2013 March 8 - BETA day!!!
2013 March 8 - 1st BETA= 656! 10dp5dt We are pregnant! ❤
2013 March 11 - 2nd BETA= 2622! 13dp5dt Very happy!
2013 March 22 - Spotting - First u/s...! - 6 wks 1 day one beautiful bean with a HB. We are in LOVE!
2013 April 4th - Red Spotting - U/S - 8 wks 1 day - Bean is growing like a weed.
2013 April 12 - U/S at VFC - 9 weeks 1 day - Bean is starting to look like a "baby"
2013 May 3- U/S at VFC - 12 weeks 1 day - FX!! Baby looks good! Graduated from VFC..
2013 May 6- 12 weeks 4 day - NT Scan very active baby! Everything looking good! ❤❤❤
2013 June 24 - 19 weeks 4 day - 20 weeks u/s...We are having a BOY!!!! So So Happy!!!
Bed rest from week 29 due to shortening cervix

Baby Noah was born on November 4th 8:26 am. 21 inches and 7"11. We are over the moon! He is the cutest baby! Our journey is complete! Remember never give up! There always be a next step! XoXo

#34 Highest hopes

Highest hopes
  • Global 100+
  • 601 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

Thanks Raspberry, I really appreciate it & I'll look into it!

IUI & IVF & FET = BFN

#35 RedSiren

RedSiren
  • Global 100+
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Natural Health, Acupuncture, Mind-Body Connection
  • My Clinic:Isis RFC

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

Hey ladies,

Protocols that can help DOR as far as acupuncture include the Swedish Protocol, which is electro stims for at least 4 weeks before IVF, twice a week for 30 minutes. I can email specific points for you to take to your acupuncturist if you want. My DH is an acupuncturist, and has been doing it on me and I swear it brought around the natural BFP I had in February (the miscarriage was not due to the acupuncture) and I am also certain it has helped keep my follies growing relatively together with a natural start. Also, he will be doing the German protocol before and after ET for me to aid in implantation, assuming we have embabies to transfer...

I also found that when taking CoQ10, it is better to take it in its bioavailable form, Ubiquinol. Take 600 to 800 mg. (I take 200 mg 3x a day) and it is awesome. Also, be sure to take melatonin at night, 3 mg under the tongue. THe more melatonin around the fluid in the follies, the healthier and sturdier the egg according to an Italian study. I also take False Unicorn Root tincture. It acts on the pituitary gland, which controls FSH and LH, and helps those of us "older" gals regulate nicely.

Other big thing to include is a mega dose of Vitamin B and folic acid. The high dosage vitamin B brings down elevated prolactin levels, which can help the other hormone profiles fall into place.

I had been on DHEA but I think that is really, really dependent on your testosterone levels so be absolutely certain to get them tested before taking. It can do more harm for some ladies than good, so really be sure to get all your tests done first and monitor closely.

I have read all the books including the one by Randine Lewis on natural solutions to DOR and egg quality. The biggest helper is diet - cutting out all refined foods, no sugars, limited carbs, no milk products. STick to veggies, fish, lean meat in moderation, nuts, and limited amounts of whole grains such as quinoa or spelt. Do not use wheat. Include healthy oils such as avacado, walnut, olive... no lunch meats, no processed foods, no fried foods, no pizza etc etc etc. Try that for three months, and you will be shocked at how your system responds.
Lilypie Maternity tickers (In)Fertility Journey Details in About Me...

#36 Highest hopes

Highest hopes
  • Global 100+
  • 601 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

RedSiren, great info!

I am interested in the acupuncture points - I'll PM you my email address.

For the DHEA testing/monitoring, do you have any guidelines for what the DHEA and/or Testosterone levels should be before & during supplementation?
or a link to a reference if that's easier.

Best of luck with your current cycle.

IUI & IVF & FET = BFN

#37 BooBoo

BooBoo
  • 3 posts
  • My Clinic:Genisis

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:14 AM

Hi Hope_123, i have been doing acupuncture at Accubalance and having supplements such as CoQ10, fish oil, vitamin D, wheat grass, royal jelly, melatonin, etc. Oh, i forgot to mention the Chinese herbs. I have always thought that FSH level will really effect IVF however the doc never mentioned anything. As for AFC, i dont think I have done that yet.

My suggestion is to not take the DHEA until you get your level tested. Good luck to you :)

I really have to say, thanks to all the success stories out there, it has really kept me going.
Me 34 DOR and Stage 4 Endometriosis
BF 31 Perfect

June starting my 1st IVF
FSH 27 however after taking DHEA FSH now 31

#38 Dillydally

Dillydally

Cupcake guru

• Cyclebase
  • 630 posts
  • Interests:Cupcakes! Gardening, reading mystery books and salivating at pictures in cookbooks.
  • My Clinic:McGill reproductive center

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

Hi! I received my DOR dx when I was 35. My AMH was terrible but I responded well to stims during my 2 IUIs ( both were bfn). I am now gearing up to start my first ivf cycle. I will see my doc in a few weeks and I'm really curious as to what protocol he'll give me. In spite of it sometimes seeming like a hopeless situation I am filled with hope that this will work:) good luck to all of you!!!
  • shishe likes this

Me- 37, DH - 46
Dx: DOR

Please see my profile for prior history

Blood test to check for antiovarian antibodies (AOA)  in early September 2013

Follow up appointment with endocrinologist October 10th 2013 (FX AOA please be gone!)

Oct. 10th 2013 - AOA are gone!!!!

Oct. 18th 2013 - Appointment with Dr. H to review protocol

Oct. 24th 2013 - Start taking prednisone

Oct. 31st 2013 - Stop marvelon after taking 6 packs continuously (yay!!!). Happy Halloween:)

IVF 2.2 - November 2013

Low dose protocol with prednisone

Nov. 4th 2013 - U/S 1, all clear, start stims (150 Repronex)

Nov. 7th 2013 - U/S 2: one lonesome follie

Nov. 9th 2013 - Start Orgalutran

Nov. 11th 2013 - U/S3:

Nov. 13th 2013 - U/S4:

Nov. 14th 2013 - U/S5: 3 follies on right (18, 7 and 6 mm) and 1 follie on left (8 mm), trigger at 10 pm

Nov. 16th 2013 - ER...FX!

Nov.17th 2013 - Game over - none fertilized.

2014 - Taking a (permanent?) break from IVF

#39 one*more*please

one*more*please
  • 51 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Cancun, Sheri Burke

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

Wow! So many people having cycle after cycle! I have one try at this. Money is tight for us! I am about to do ivf with a amh level of 1.9 and a fsh level of 11.8 at age 35. Not feeling like this will be so easy! Doc says everything looks good and he thinks I have a 80% chance of pregnancy first time? We will see! I will pry for all of you ladys! I hope the next thing any of you all do works and gives youall the baby you are waiting on! God bless you!!!
  • Highest hopes likes this

Me: Blocked tubes & FSH of 11.7

Husband: No problems, But No Children Of His Own....... So great with mine!!!!

I have Six Children from age 18 to 6 years old. The first five are natural conception. Then I tied my tubes. Ex husband said no more babies. 2005 I talked him into one more! FSH-7 Only problem was tubes blocked from ligation

.IVF # 1 May 2005- BFN 18 eggs No ICSI Done. The told us there was a sperm problem. A sperm problem from a father of 5..lol (they think it got to hot on the way to the clinic). All eggs died!

IVF # 2 June 2005- BFP All perfect!!! Froze 8, and gave birth to a healthy baby girl 2006!!

Remarried 2007.August 2008 Tubal Reversal TTC Naturally for six months. HSG March 2009 showed me to be completely blocked on both sides!

IVF # 3  May 2012- BFN 11 eggs. They did ICSI but none of them made it! No explanation! All sperm tests showed super sperm previously. Proof you should learn more about your clinic!

IVF # 4 September 2012 In Cancun!

9/14 Arrived & Started Stem Meds

9/20 Passed a Kidney Stone What are the odds..lol

9/28 Retrieval (9 eggs) All fertilized - day three - 5, 8 cell, 2, 6 cell, 2, 4 cell10/1 Transfer (4 embabies) Froze 3 and we are letting the 2, 4 cells grown to see if they can improve

10/3 Against all odds the 2 little poor embryos both grew in to great day five! We froze them!

10/10 BFP on a HPT!!

10/12 Blood Work Confirms It!!! We are Pregnant!! Keep Growing Little Bean!!! Mommy Loves You!!

5/5/13 It's a boy!    

#40 aprilbaby

aprilbaby
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

I used Natural IVF. To those with natural regular cycles this is a great option. No drugs to wreck egg quality. DS born after NIVF and then a natural pregnancy for me. I was 35. Acupuncture at Total Wellness (David ) did wonders for my cycle. Check my signature for my nutritional protocol.

It will happen for you guys. The best doctors know that high fsh means very little. It really only means you might not respond to drugs.

#41 Lucida

Lucida
  • 12 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

Age 38: DH: 53

Stay hopeful Global!

Aftert 4 failed IUI's, 3 failed IVF's (poor responder), and 1 failed egg donor program I am happy to say I am pregnant. It was a surprise to us.

Back in April 2012, I
was given a lydia pinkham bottle by my mother. I honestly had given up on the idea of having a child;however, I decided to humor my mother and took the liquid as instructed and stopped a day before ovulation. No pregnancy after the first bottle. Mom sent me another bottle and I took it as instructed. I thought to myself what do I have to loose.

(I had also been taking MACA supplement 1200mg and I continue to take it through my first trimester)

I am a little over 3 months pregnant and I am told so far all is well.
  • gibasgirl and shishe like this

#42 Hopefulmom2012

Hopefulmom2012
  • Global 100+
  • 183 posts
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

I'm 38 with AMH at .35. One cancelled IVF. Going to try again with growth hormone. Feeling very hopeless as I've not heard a lot of success stories with such a low AMH. Any good stories out there?? Has anyone had success with growth hormone? May be taking part in a month long study at my clinic. Still waiting for more info...
Me: Low AMH 0.35/ Endo
Aug. 2011 - Natural Pregnancy - MC
Oct. 2012 - IVF #1 (Menopur, Gonal F, Orgalutran) - only 1 follicle. IVF cancelled/changed to IUI - BFN
Feb. 2013 - IVF #2 (Increased Menopur, Gonal F, Saizen, Orgalutran)
Feb. 17 - ER - 3 mature follicles. 2 eggs retrieved - only 1 egg through ICSI.
Feb. 19 - 1 four cell perfect embryo transferred.
Mar. 6 - Beta - 853!!! (15dp2dt)
Mar. 13 - Beta - 14,778 (22dp2dt)
Nov. 2013 - Baby Girl born!
Aug. 2014 - IVF #3 (Menopur, Puregon, Saizen, Lupron)ER - 7 follicles, 5 mature/fertilized. 2 Embryos - 5 day transfer. None to freeze.
Sept. 2014 - BFN
Feb. 2015 - IVF #4 - (Menopur, Puregon, Saizen, Lupron) Cancelled cycle after 10 days of stims. (Didn't respond well)
May 2015 - IVF # 5 started (Menopur, Bravelle, Saizen, Orgalutran)
June 9 - 4 eggs retrieved
June 12 - 3 embryos, 3 day transfer
June 25 - Beta 198! BFP!!!
July 2 - Beta 3339!!
Just waiting for Ultrasound in July 8.

#43 lzm

lzm
  • 18 posts
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hi Hopefulmom2012,

I am 42 and have an AMH of 0.18 - not good. At a few months shy of my 40th bday (second try), I conceived my little girl naturally. I suspect that my AMH was on the low end back then. This time around after almost a year of trying and a much lower AMH than you, I have only a miscarriage to date. I am on the Schoolcraft Protocol, taking DHEA, CoQ10, etc. and will start my IVF procedure in January (which includes saizen), hopefully I will have some good news to share with you. This protocol has worked for women with DOR. In my clinic, the protocol has been successful in women under 40. You are not even 40 yet , don't lose hope. There is not much we can do except try and it has to work for someone - why not you? Hopefully, you will be the one reporting a good outcome.

lzm
  • shishe and tryingtostaypositive like this

#44 Hopefulmom2012

Hopefulmom2012
  • Global 100+
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Hi Izm,

Sounds like we will be going through the same thing in January. Looking forward to my 2nd round of IVF with the GH - not sure if there's any other kind besides Saizen, will find out more from my Dr this Friday. I feel a lot better this second time around as I now know what to expect with the injections etc. I too have been on DHEA and CoQ10 since before my first round. Fingers crossed for both of us and everyone else!
Oct. 2012 - IVF #1 (Menopur, Gonal F, Orgalutran) - only 1 follicle. IVF cancelled/changed to IUI - BFN
Aug. 2014 - IVF #3 (Menopur, Puregon, Saizen, Lupron)ER - 7 follicles, 5 mature/fertilized. 2 Embryos - 5 day transfer. None to freeze.
Sept. 2014 - BFN
Feb. 2015 - IVF #4 - (Menopur, Puregon, Saizen, Lupron) Cancelled cycle after 10 days of stims. (Didn't respond well)
July 2 - Beta 3339!!

#45 Janna30

Janna30
  • 31 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Rfc

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

I had an fsh of 13 and AFC of 5. The fertility dr said don't bother doing iui and only chance would be Ivf. Ended up with 6 eggs and 4 fertilized. 3 made it to transfer and I'm now 7w 3d preg and saw the heartbeat on ultrasound today! I'm still worried because I have bad a miscarriage last summer and I'm now 40. Don't give up hope.

#46 Hopefulmom2012

Hopefulmom2012
  • Global 100+
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Hi Hopefulmom2012,

I am 42 and have an AMH of 0.18 - not good. At a few months shy of my 40th bday (second try), I conceived my little girl naturally. I suspect that my AMH was on the low end back then. This time around after almost a year of trying and a much lower AMH than you, I have only a miscarriage to date. I am on the Schoolcraft Protocol, taking DHEA, CoQ10, etc. and will start my IVF procedure in January (which includes saizen), hopefully I will have some good news to share with you. This protocol has worked for women with DOR. In my clinic, the protocol has been successful in women under 40. You are not even 40 yet , don't lose hope. There is not much we can do except try and it has to work for someone - why not you? Hopefully, you will be the one reporting a good outcome.

lzm

Hi Izm, just checking in! How was your January cycle? Did you use the Saizen? I had my retrieval last Sunday - only 2 eggs. 1 made it to ICSI and transferred a 2 day, 4 cell excellent emby.
RE had me on CoQ10, DHEA, Myo inositol, melatonin, vitamin D, multi & Folic acid. Idid 300iu of Menopur and Gonal F. Added in 5 days of Saizen too.
I'm now 9dp2dt and getting nervous and impatient.
Would love to hear how your round went!
Sept. 2014 - BFN
July 2 - Beta 3339!!

#47 Julia1977

Julia1977

Julia

• Cyclebase
  • 525 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Hi ladies,

I loved reading your posts here, as I do have that DOR problem, and today I was thinking whether I will really be eventually having to go for DE.

My signature explains my story pretty well, but it doesn't have actual FSH and AMH results.

Upon my first IUI, and after taking Clomid for 5 days, my FSH level was so high that they had to cancel the cycle.

My day3 FSH was in the range of 10-12, and after that cycle a full battery of tests was done, and AMH appeared to be very low (<0.3), but all genetic testings were normal.

I was shocked by those results at the beginning as I have always had extremely regular cycles, with normal flow. After discussing with RE, he explained that the blood results don't mean that I don't have eggs, it just means that I might be experiencing menopause earlier than other ladies (despite not having a family history of that), and thus we need to be a bit aggressive and quick in the treatment, and not wait longer.

My first IVF cycle on the long protocol was cancelled  due to over suppression (estrogen didn't increase), and the second IVF on microdose flare protocol gave me better response with 4 eggs retrieved (all mature), and 2 average embryos (5 and 7 cells) were transferred, with a BFN.

My next step is another microdose flare cycle between April and May (after a BCP cycle) but with Saizen, and I see some of you used it. I don't know if it will have major impacts, but I do hope so.

I wonder if I can be taking some supplements in the mean time to improve the response and the quality of eggs.

In general, everytime I remember my AMH value I feel down and approach losing hope of success, but reading your stories and seeing that some were able to achieve a natural pregnancy, or even a natural IVF (which I have no clue if it can't be an option for me), I see some light at the end of the tunnel.

I appreciate any guidance and advice from you ladies, and I thank you in advance and wish you all the best ....

• Hopefulmom2012 and shishe like this

TTC: 3.5 years. Dx: Endometriosis stage IV in 2004 + Poor/Diminished Ovarian Reserve (relatively high FSH + low AMH)
ART Attempts: 1 cancelled IUI + 2 Failing IUIs + 1 IVF (Cancelled) + 1 IVF (BFN) + 1 IVF (BFP then miscarriage)

****************************************************************************************
IVF#1 (Nov 2012): (long protocol)
(Menopure, Bravelle)
Cycle cancelled due to poor response (Estrogen levels not increasing)

IVF#2 (Feb 2013): (microflare protocol): menopure (3 vials x 2 per day)
4 eggs retrieved (2 on each side) .... all mature, 2 eggs fertilized out of the 4 ICSI'd. Transferred 2 embryos of average quality (1 @ 5 cells & the other @ 7 cells) with AH -->
 BFN

April 2013: Laparoscopy: Removal of cysts from right and left ovary and some little endo spots and freeing right ovary from adhesion.

IVF#3 (June/July 2013): Microdose flare + Saizen+testosterone
5 eggs retrieved, 3 mature and fertilized by ICSIET of 2 6-cell embryos grade 2 and 3 --> BFP,

1st Beta= 57. US on 8th week: baby measures at 6 weeks and no heartbeat. Confirmed missed miscarriage, M/C at 9 weeks

Full panel of blood work analysis done for possible etiology of miscarriage. Everything was normal, except for a heterozygous MTHFR mutation (prescribed high dose folic acid)

IVF#4 (Dec2013/Jan 2014): Microdose flare+Saizen+testosterone 

4 eggs retrieved, all mature and fertilized by ICSI, ET of 1 6-cell embryo an 1 8-cell embryo graded 2 and 3. Non left to freeze --> BFN

IVF#5 (April/May 2014): Antagonist Estrogen Priming -Cornell Protocol (Clomid+ Menopur+Gonal F + Orgalutran)

6 eggs retreived, 4 mature and fertilized by ICSIMay 11: Day 3 ET on mother's day of 2 grade 2 8 cell embryos with less than 10% fragmentation. Non left to freeze

--> BFP : 1st Beta: 315.2, 2 (May 25th), 2n beta: 2715 (May 31st) smile.png --> June 19th, U/S shows one bean measuring right on track at 8w1d and heart beat above 150.

20w U/S confirms we are having a BOY ... Screening was negative and all measurements were normal. EDD: Jan 29th, 2015

Jan 30th 2015: My little baby boy was born ...can't be more grateful

Details in the "About me" section

#48 Hopefulmom2012

Hopefulmom2012
  • Global 100+
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Hi Julia, seems like our AMH levels are about the same. My first IVF cycle was turned to IUI due to too few follicles. (1)
This last round we did a lot more. You can read above what I was taking for supplements. DHEA and CoQ10 are supposed to help with quality and quantity. I was also on 300iu of Menopur and Gonal F. Also taking Saizen(growth hormone) is supposed to help as well.
I ended up with 3 follicles this time, retrieved 2 eggs and was able to do ICSI and transferred one beautiful 4cell embryo on a 2 day transfer.
I also did acupuncture for about 2 months prior to retrieval. Then did acupuncture on day of transfer - before and after. Then a follow up time to help implantation. I was going to do anything I could for my one little embie!!
Went for my beta last Wednesday and I'm pregnant!! I was tested at 15dp2dt and my HCG was 852! I go back for my second on Wednesday. Obviously I have a long way to go but am enjoying actually being pregnant!
So for us with DOR, there absolutely is hope. I have heard a lot of success stories. Personally I say be as aggressive as you want to be. My way of thinking for all if this was that I didn't want to regret anything I did or didn't do to make this happen.
Hope my story helps a bit! Good luck to you!
  • Julia1977 likes this
Sept. 2014 - BFN
July 2 - Beta 3339!!

#49 GraceM

GraceM
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,438 posts
  • My Clinic:undetermined

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

I am 35 and was diagnosed with early stage DOR.  My AMH is quite low, my AFC was initially low but when redone was on the lower end of normal, my estrogen is lowand my FSH is normal. It turned out I had one blocked tube as well which (painfully) cleared in the HSG. My husband also has less than ideal sperm motility (32%) with limited progressive swimmers (11%). 

During my cycle monitoring and testing, I went to David at Total Wellness, saw a nutritionist, radically changed my diet, meditated every day (to a CD), took a bunch of supplements and did fertility yoga.  Not to be too graphic, but my cycle and CM really changed as a result.

After we got the results for my husband, my dr. called to say that we would need a medicated IUI (injectables) at a bare minumum starting the next cycle.   The next day (literally) we conceived naturally (and I know this due to travel schedules that month).  CD1 for my IUI never came.    I am 9w 5d now and have been told everything is normal so far. 

I realize we are very lucky but I do think the accupuncture, diet and other changes I undertook made a difference.  I can't say it would have helped had my DOR been more advanced but I would recommend anyone give it a try.  If I had a do-over, I also would have seen Dr. Hannam in the first instance.  We will go to him when we try again. 

• Julia1977 likes this

#50 Mission

Mission
  • 30 posts
  • My Clinic:Gensis

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

I have the same story. See my signature or my about me section.  My first clinc told me theres nothing wrong, your only 33, and never did any tests until 1 yr later.  My second clinic wouldnt touch me until I had Day 3, AMH and AFC completed with them.  The told me try clomid but the second my test came back I was told rush into IVF and my clock is ticking and my chances are less than 50% to make it thru a cycle sucessfully and even less for it to work.

Low AMH/DOR just means you might not respond as well to the meds.  I responded really well to the meds and they got 10 eggs and 5 fertilized and they transfered 2 on day 3 and 2 were frozen. I had a BFN.

My clinic doesnt allow you to do another cycle until after 3 AF to ensure all the meds are out of your system and your ovaries are back to normal.  My cycle was all over the place.  The wait was hard but things worked out and I did my FET 5 months later (not by choices since my clinic was closed over Christmas).  It gave me time to heal me from inside (ie diet, yoga, accupuncture, supplements and lots of prayers). 

All it takes is just ONE egg.

I was tested on Friday (Mar 8) and my HCG was 853 (12dp5dt).  My next test is on Mar 15.  It makes me 5 weeks pregnant today.  Its still so hard to believe!

Hopefulmom2012 looks like we are on the same time line. 

• leigh14, Julia1977 and shishe like this

Read my Bio for details: 

Aug/Sept 2012 - ICSI#1
Me:35 DX: Low AMH (0.47), 10 AFC, Estradiol 211, FSH 5
DH:34 DX: 0% Morphology - excellent sperm count/motility

BC pill then Menopur and Bravelle. 

10 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized, day 3 (2- 8A, 2-7B, 1C). 

Transferred 2 8A’s, the other 2 made it to day 6 blasts and frozen.  BFN

2013 - FET # 1 (natural cycle)

Feb 19 - Ultrasound - large 20mm follicle.

Feb 24 – Transferred 1 Blast 4BC

Mar 8 – BFP

Oct 23 - Healty Baby Boy 5lb 4oz (3 weeks early)

2015 – IVF #2

ME: 37 Low AMH (1), 4 AFC, Estradiol 199, FSH 14.1
Dec 2014 – Bought drugs waiting to cycle

Jan 4, 2015 – Natural BFP!!

Sept 1, 2015 – Healthy Baby Girl 6lb 5oz

2017 - FET #2 (natural cycle)

March 10 - Ultrasound

March 11 - positive OP test

March 16 – Transferred 1 Blast 4CC