• Please log in to reply
3103 replies to this topic

#2901 openheart

openheart
  • 89 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

Thanks ladies! I'm due Aug 3 but my blood pressure is up so they are keeping a close eye on me and we don't expect to go past 37 weeks at this point. 

#2902 gracegirl

gracegirl
  • 1000+
  • 1160 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

Openheart: the type of diapers that will work for you will depend on baby's shape. Pampers are used by most hospitals (VGH included), so we kept up with that. I have never noticed a scent and we have never had an issue...we tried Huggies but they leaked...our babe is long and thin if that helps...

Stroller with car seat adaptor is a must in my books...babe is so small and will sleep all the time...it's just easier to clip car seat in and out of the car and then you can take baby into restaurant easily etc, etc. We moved our babe into a big boy car seat at about 6.5 months.

Pack and Play...sure. You can use one but you might want something that is a bit smaller? We used a bassinette right by the bed for the first 3 months and then transitioned into the crib...the basinet had wheels which I would definitely recommend!! You can wheel that sucker into the bathroom to shower etc...trust me on this. You will want to shower with ease!

It will all come together and you will figure out what works for you.

Another tidbit...if you don't have a swing, get one. It save us. Literally. I may have thrown myself out the window if I didn't have a swing.

• Reese lightnin likes this

#2903 Unfertilized

Unfertilized
  • Global 100+
  • 440 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre/Create

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

I can't seem to make any decision on anything relating to what I need to get for my upcoming baby. Which newborn diapers do you recommend? I don't want Pampers if they have a scent in them. Do I really need a stroller that the car seat clips into? Is it ok for her to sleep in a pack and play at the beginning? Help!!! 

Hi Openheart,

Shopping for baby is fun but also overwhelming! I have a lot of the same comments as others...

Remember that what's right for you may not be right for someone else. As you see already from the comments here and on the other thread different people have opinions about what are "must haves" and what are unnecessary and often they mention the same item. Think about what your lifestyle is/how you'd like it to be once baby comes to help sift through what people are suggesting. Some of it also depends on your baby which of course you won't know until he/she arrives.

For diapers, we've used pampers, except for a box of huggies that I got for my baby shower with baby #1. Like Gracegirl (? I think - I can't see the post right now), I never noticed a smell, and I also found that different brands fit differently and Pampers fit our guy much better than the same size Huggies (also a long, thin baby). I also recommend starting your baby off with #1 diapers, or just buying a small box of the newborn diapers, as they may not fit for very long and you don't want to get stuck with extras you don't use.

For strollers, we have the Uppababy Vista, and in addition to the bassinet and seat options, we got the car seat adaptor. I found having the carseat adaptor handy like others mentioned for transferring baby when they are sleeping in the car seat, and in general useful when we were driving somewhere with baby and then walking with them. We don't drive a lot, and generally use the stroller for walking, and I still found the adaptor useful if that helps. It was also handy when we travelled (plane trips in North America) when our first was young, as it was fewer things to take with us (i.e. used the car seat instead of the main stroller seat).

I think a lot of people do the pack and play at the beginning (I think one of those with the bassinet attachment would be best, as baby will be closer to you and easier to put in and out of the pack and play). The only issue I would see would be the transition issues once you do move them into a crib. I've heard some people have difficulty transitioning baby from one type of sleeping arrangement to another. We actually just did crib in our room from the very beginning for both babies (though naps mostly in bassinet from our stroller, that way easy for baby to nap downstairs where all the action is when they are young and napping lots). 

I think that covers your questions! Happy to offer thoughts on other gear if you're curious :)

TTC #1 since June 2008, BFP Sept 2011

Me: 37
DH: 38

6 IUI's in 2010:
BFP on #2 in April 2010, mc & d&c in June 2010
BFP on #4 in September 2010, chemical pregnancy

Jan 2011 - started DHEA
March/April 2011 - false start for IVF#1 (delayed due to endometritis and DH's work schedule)
May 2011 - try again for IVF#1 ER June 14 (14 eggs, 12 fertilized, 9 embies) No transfer due to OHSS, 8 embies frozen.
July 2011 - FET#1 - BFN
Sept 2011 - FET#2, BFP on HPT 7dp5dt, beta of 340 12dp5dt, 738 14dp5dt
Baby Boy born June 23, 2012

Sept 2013 - FET#1 for baby#2 - BFP!

#2904 Libster_2

Libster_2
  • Global 100+
  • 771 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

Openheart! You must be so excited :)

Have you had your shower yet? Or are you waiting until after the baby is born? For my shower I got tones of diapers, my gf made a NB diaper cake, and my LO fit those for all of 3 days LOL But what I found was at Costco their Kirkland brand diapers for size1-2 (only small size they have) was 19.99!!!! J was so good in those! I wasn't fond of huggies or pampers.

I have a stroller carseat combo, AND I have an off-road one (got for free).. I don't have a car, so what we looked for in a stroller was for it to be easy to get on and off the bus and storage under it... Also my LO is almost out of the bucket seat carseat that came with it, he's already 26in long, and I believe it's upto 27in or a specific weight...

Wraps, i love my home made Moby, and J loved it facing forward ( he would nap ) but I found it to be really hot... and I am now looking for another carrier that works for us b/c he's just too heavy now to not have some structure.

Libby
Baby Boy James born Jan 27th 2014 :)

#2905 River54

River54
  • Global 100+
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

Hi ladies :)

I have just been through 4 betas within the last week. all say I am pregnant :) went from 66 @ 16dpo, 121, 300, to 1253 @ 23dpo

I haven't heard back from the clinic yet from Mondays results, probably because of the holiday, so I am not sure what they'll want me to do next. I know my low numbers at first had them questioning, (and me a nervous wreck) and going back for more, but the last one seems good? :)

Anyways, just wanted to announce somewhere - I am pregnant :)

• Chica13, ziggy251, dawnkey and 5 others like this

Unexplained icon_question.gif - everything looks great for both of us. 
2011-mid 2013 - all BFNs3 clomid cycles - BFN2 IUI cycles with gonal f & acupuncture - BFN1 IUI with gonal f & acupuncture - cancelled - too many follies - BFN
IVF #1- January-  scan day 5 of stims showed 4 follies<sigh>, later more showed smile.png
Feb 10 - 8 eggs collected, 7 mature, 3 icsi, 4 ivf4 fertilized (1 icsi, 3 ivf)
Feb 13 - ET 2 embies grade 18
Feb 25 - beta - 0 = BFN 
IVF #2 - June 7 - 8 eggs collected
Jun 12 - ET 2 embies grade 17
11dp5dt - 66

13dp5dt - 121

15dp5dt - 300

18dp5dt - 1253

babyboy.gif Born Mar 12, 2015

Again?

IVF #3 - waiting til Jan 2017, start DHEA in Oct for prep

#2906 Makana

Makana
  • Global 100+
  • 684 posts
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

Yay River! Congrats on making it thru beta hell. 66 was a scary start, but miracles do happen. Your next step will be your 7 wk ultrasound - which they schedule after your beta is over a thousand. If you don't hear from the clinic today, give them a call to follow-up. I hope the coming weeks and months will be worry free for you! Keep us posted!
  • River54 likes this

#2907 River54

River54
  • Global 100+
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

Thank you for your post :) 

I emailed them, and they have now scheduled me in for an u/s July 15th :) Another tww....

2011-mid 2013 - all BFNs3 clomid cycles - BFN2 IUI cycles with gonal f & acupuncture - BFN1 IUI with gonal f & acupuncture - cancelled - too many follies - BFN
IVF #1- January-  scan day 5 of stims showed 4 follies<sigh>, later more showed smile.png
Feb 25 - beta - 0 = BFN 
11dp5dt - 66

13dp5dt - 121

15dp5dt - 300

18dp5dt - 1253

Again?

#2908 Makana

Makana
  • Global 100+
  • 684 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:37 PM

Yay for the appt :) Boo on the 2ww again! But it seems we in the IF world are always waiting for the next thing ..... After this u/s you will likely have one 2w later ;) ... Might as well get used to it and enjoy the moment! :) You are preggo and the #s are doing what they should!!
  • River54 likes this

#2909 Saffy

Saffy
  • 1000+
  • 1524 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

Congratulations River!
  • River54 likes this

see about me page.

#2910 openheart

openheart
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm being watched pretty closely right now because my blood pressure is kinda high and i have some protein in my urine. Because of this, they are going to induce my at 37 weeks. That's is in a week and a half! I'm nervous and excited. I can't believe she will be here soon. I'm not really looking forward to the induction and hope it goes smoothly with the least amount of interventions, but I'm prepared for anything. 

• ziggy251 likes this

#2911 River54

River54
  • Global 100+
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

Sounds scary, but fx for everything going smoothly. Wow you'll be holding her soo soon :)

Feb 25 - beta - 0 = BFN 
11dp5dt - 66

13dp5dt - 121

15dp5dt - 300

18dp5dt - 1253

Again?

#2912 Roller coaster

Roller coaster
  • Global 100+
  • 255 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm being watched pretty closely right now because my blood pressure is kinda high and i have some protein in my urine. Because of this, they are going to induce my at 37 weeks. That's is in a week and a half! I'm nervous and excited. I can't believe she will be here soon. I'm not really looking forward to the induction and hope it goes smoothly with the least amount of interventions, but I'm prepared for anything.

I'm not going to sugar coat induction.....it's not the most pleasant. I had induction starting with cervadil and initially I was managing the pain of contractions without any medications........but I was progressing/dilating slowly and the pain was getting intolerable....I chose an epidural and it was the best choice for me as it allowed me to relax and then I dilated fast and in 5 quick pushes my baby arrived. I know that there is a lot of fear surrounding epidurals....I was fortunate as I had no side effects and for me it was a lifesaver.
Wishing you all the best with your induction/delivery.......and remember all that really matters in the end is a healthy baby and healthy mom.
  • Chica13 and ziggy251 like this

#2913 ziggy251

ziggy251
  • Global 100+
  • 136 posts
  • My Clinic:Foothills/RFP -- now VFC!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

Thanks for the information on inductions Rollercoaster..... at my doctor's appt last month (first time with my prenatal clinic, but same clinic I went to with DD 4 years ago), the doc told me that because I am 41, they would not want me to go past 40 weeks and would like to induce me by then.  I just thought "okay, whatever," but now I have been reading more about inductions and questioning the reason for it just because of my age.  Has anyone else been through this with their care providers?  Hopefully it won't come to that.  I went into labour spontaneously with #1 at 39w4d, so hopefully this LO will follow suit........

Openheart -- good luck!  I hope everything goes well!  Very exciting that you will be holding your little miracle soon!  :-)

Me: 41 DH: 50
IVF/ICSI/AH#1 Apr/May 2009 -- 3 embryos transferred -- BFN
IVFICSI#2 Jan 2010 -- 10 eggs retrieved, 2 3-day embies transferred, 2 3-day's frozen & 1 5-day blast frozen -- BFP!!! DD born 6-Oct-2010
FET #1 May 2012 -- transferred 1 3-day embie -- BFP! but emptyy sac at 7w5d -- chemical
FET #2 Oct 2012 -- transferred 1 3-day embie and planned to transfer 5-day blast (double transfer) but blast didn't survive thaw -- BFN
IVF/ICSI/AH #3 April 2013 -- transferred 3 day-3 embies -- BFP!  two sacs at first u/s at 7w1d, but only one baby with slow heartrate (108bpm), second u/s at 8w6d showed baby had stopped growing and no more heartbeat, D&C on June 24th

Repeat miscarriage results all came back normal.

IVF/ICSI/AH #4 November 2013 -- transferred 3 day-3 embies -- BFN.  1 5-day blast frozen.

On to VFC! 

IVF/ICSI #5 Feb. 2014 -- transferred two hatching blasts on 2/28.....BFP!!!  first beta 221, second beta 730, first u/s at 7w3d showed two heartbeats!  Twin A measured 6w5d with 95bpm (not too good), but Twin B measured 7w3d with 148bpm.  Holding out hope for Twin A to catch up!   Second u/s at 9w4d showed that Twin A had passed away, but Twin B is still measuring on track (9w2d CRL) with a strong heartbeat of 168bpm.  NT scan results (12w5d) showed baby measuring on time and low risk for Down and other trisomies.  HB 155bpm.

#2914 Roller coaster

Roller coaster
  • Global 100+
  • 255 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for the information on inductions Rollercoaster..... at my doctor's appt last month (first time with my prenatal clinic, but same clinic I went to with DD 4 years ago), the doc told me that because I am 41, they would not want me to go past 40 weeks and would like to induce me by then.  I just thought "okay, whatever," but now I have been reading more about inductions and questioning the reason for it just because of my age.  Has anyone else been through this with their care providers?  Hopefully it won't come to that.  I went into labour spontaneously with #1 at 39w4d, so hopefully this LO will follow suit........

Openheart -- good luck!  I hope everything goes well!  Very exciting that you will be holding your little miracle soon!  :-)

I had my my DD 4.5 years prior to my DS. I had a spontaneous natural delivery with my DD at 41 weeks. My OBGYN recommended induction for my DS stating the same thing as you were told not wanting me to go past 40 weeks. Several reasons were provided....my age 38, concern over placenta possibly deteriorating early (can occur more often in IVF babes), blood pressure, etc. I honestly was getting so anxious as I got closer to 40 weeks. I was so scared of having made it this far in pregnancy and was scared something would happen and that I wouldn't get to hold my baby (after two previous miscarriages). My blood pressure was starting to get high and I was being monitored very closely with lab work, NST just to be extra cautious. I was induced at 39w4days. Like I said not the most pleasant experience being induced but of course all that mattered was that baby and mom were healthy and we are all happy with the outcome :)
  • Chica13 likes this

#2915 Unfertilized

Unfertilized
  • Global 100+
  • 440 posts
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre/Create

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

Openheart - I hope your baby arrived safe and sound and you are doing well! Please post an update when you're able.

River - just saw on your signature that you saw a hb at your ultrasound! How exciting - that is such a beautiful sight :)

• Libster_2 and River54 like this
TTC #1 since June 2008, BFP Sept 2011

Me: 37
DH: 38

6 IUI's in 2010:
BFP on #2 in April 2010, mc & d&c in June 2010
BFP on #4 in September 2010, chemical pregnancy

Jan 2011 - started DHEA
March/April 2011 - false start for IVF#1 (delayed due to endometritis and DH's work schedule)
May 2011 - try again for IVF#1 ER June 14 (14 eggs, 12 fertilized, 9 embies) No transfer due to OHSS, 8 embies frozen.
July 2011 - FET#1 - BFN
Sept 2011 - FET#2, BFP on HPT 7dp5dt, beta of 340 12dp5dt, 738 14dp5dt
Baby Boy born June 23, 2012

Sept 2013 - FET#1 for baby#2 - BFP!

#2916 River54

River54
  • Global 100+
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

yeah, it was :)

Next u/s not until Aug 1 - seems so long away. But by then, our little peanut should look a little more recognizable. OH said it was hard for him to relate yet to a blob on the screen. He is excited though - he email his parents before we even left the room saying we saw the heartbeat :)

• ziggy251 likes this

Feb 25 - beta - 0 = BFN 
11dp5dt - 66

13dp5dt - 121

15dp5dt - 300

18dp5dt - 1253

Again?

#2917 openheart

openheart
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

I had a baby! Meryn Emily Ritchie was born July 15th. It was kinda traumatic and we had to head back into the hospital to deal with jaundice. Back at home and struggling with a sleepy jaundice baby who is too tired to wake to feed a lot of the time. But I think we may have turned the corner today, we'll see. 

• dawnkey, gracegirl and River54 like this

#2918 Makana

Makana
  • Global 100+
  • 684 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

Congrats OH!! Hoping Meryn is feeling better soon! Take good care of yourself too these days!

#2919 gracegirl

gracegirl
  • 1000+
  • 1160 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

Huge congrats!

Take good care!!

#2920 snowmom

snowmom

Raving Lunatic

• Cyclebase
  • 2067 posts
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

Congrats on her arrival!
Me 40: Total tubal blockage, 1 ovary, DOR DH 35: Poor motilityTTC since 1998DS natural conception 1996DS&DD ivf icsi 2008DS ivf icsi 2013.Our family is complete.Donated four frosties. IP's got bfp!

#2921 Saffy

Saffy
  • 1000+
  • 1524 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:10 PM

Open heart! Congratulations! Beautiful name too.

see about me page.

#2922 bumpahead

bumpahead
  • Global 100+
  • 368 posts
  • Interests:food, sailing, travel, adventure, food, foreign languages, scuba diving, skiing, food, foreign food, things that are French, especially French food. And dogs.
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertiity Clinic

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

Congrats Openheart, and welcome Meryn!

me: 43, DH: 41

together since 2003, TTC since 2009
July 2010 natural pregnancy--m/c at 7w :'(
Nov 2010 natural pregnancy --m/c at 12w, 12 days before our wedding :'(
April 2011: intake, Victoria Fertility Centre. All tests normal. wtf?

May 2011: Work hiatus to take every supplement, acu, yoga, meditation, maya massage, diet overhaul--- lets DO THIS!
Sept 2011 IUI #1, BFN
Oct 2011 IUI #2, BFN
Dec 2011 IUI #3, BFN
April 2012 IVF#1 --- 2 embryos transferred. BFN
Dr. H recommends no further IVF unless with donor eggs. worst day of my life.
May 2012: go back to work in northern waters. Contemplate a child-free future.

Aug 2012 Amazing! Sister-in-law offers to be our egg donor!
DE cycle #1 Jan 2013---2 embryos transferred. BFP!!! Chemical preg. BFN ... so very sad.
Is this the end?

Feb 2013 It's a miracle! Wonderful experienced egg donor wants to help!
DE cycle #2 May/June 2013
May 31: 54 eggs retrieved! What the!? Clinic shocked, IPs ecstatic!
June 5: 1 perfect hatching blast transferred. 24 frosties. Another Amazing Experience!!
So thrilled, we hope this is it!
June 17: first beta: 893 !! BFP !!
June 19 second beta : 2411 !!!!! we are over the moon with joy!!

happy uncomplicated pregnancy... until....
Surprise!
Rigel Oscar born Jan 8, 2014, at 33w5d.

Our little star is so wonderful!
omg i'm finally a mom!

"life itself is the proper binge" -julia child

"In the end, everything will be ok. And if it's not ok, it's not the end."

#2923 silverdollar

silverdollar
  • Cyclebase
  • 3483 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor sports and activities of all types.
    Kids, sewing, photography, cooking, growing stuff in my garden.

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:40 PM

Wonderful news Open heart.

Unexplained IF/ DOR. Began TTC in 2008.
After a wild and crazy ride on the treatment train, our baby GIRL arrived on Jan 6, 2012
Hold on.... Surprise spontaneous just 7 months postpartum while still breastfeeding!!! Baby boy born May 2, 2013
My heart couldn't be more full :)

Full details are now in my profile "About Me" page

#2924 mountainchick

mountainchick
  • Global 100+
  • 614 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

For those of you who took low dose Fragmin until week 12, are we suppose to continue our 1500 mg of calcium after we stop the Fragmin or can we stop that too? I would like to stop those supplements if I can.

Thanks!

TTC since I was 28; Started fertility treatments at 35.

Dx: Male factor, Hashimotos, fibroids

April 2011-13 eggs retrieved: all dead except 1 immature egg that was ICSI'd; no embryos to transfer

Switched from Calgary RFP to VFC

IVF#2: November 2012, donor egg cycle- chemical pregnancy

FET#1: Feb 2013- m/c @ 6 weeks

Sept 2013: Abdominal myomectomy done. Giant fibroids removed with my uterus intact! I love Dr. Allaire!

January 2014: Surrogacy- FET cycle, BFN.

FET#2: May 2014-BFP

May 26 beta=335,  May 28 beta=812, May 30 beta=2004          

Baby girl born January 2015 heart.gif

#2925 Libster_2

Libster_2
  • Global 100+
  • 771 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

Mountain - I didn't take fragmin, but did continue with a high dose of calcium throughout my pregnancy (1500 calcium and D)... plus the prenatal...

PS.... anyone need some fragmin??? I have some left over from c/s and PP...

Libby
Baby Boy James born Jan 27th 2014 :)