Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

FET - which ones to use?


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BabyHope2010

BabyHope2010
  • Cyclebase
  • 247 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:My boys (doggies), Reading, exercising, trying new things, Watching movies (comedies especially), going out to dinner, wine, traveling, volleyball, camping, boating, crafty things etc.
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Calgary, AB

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

Hello,

I am wondering which ones to transfer the next time I do a FET. I have 4 frozen embryos, 2 frozen at day 7 and rated 4bb and 5bb, and then 2 frozen on day 3, one 5 cell and one 7 cell (rated 2). Which ones would give me the best outcome?
DX: Severe Male Factor
IVF/ICSI - transfer 1 blast (4AA) March/April = BFN
FET-transfer 2/3day embryos (8cell rated 1) June/July = BFP
EDD April 16th
Colson William arrived April 9th at 1249pm weighing 7.5lbs and healthy as can be

#2 BabyVibez

BabyVibez
  • Global 100+
  • 878 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:ONE

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

I'm not an embryologist but, I have done a few FETs.

If you want advice I would suggest deciding first if you want to do a single embryo transfer or if you are willing to do more than one embryo. If you choose to do SET, than my Dr always suggested picking the oldest and best rated embryo. If you wanted to do more than one embie, than my Dr would say go with the younger, lower rated ones or a mix of high and low rated. I think there was a stat out there that said FET can take up to 5 times (or more) to work. So if you look at your embie collection, divide them out for up to 5 tries. Our last (and successful) FET ended up being the best and the worst of our day 3s. One of them took... dont think we will ever know which one.

You also have to factor in thawing. Not all embies will survive the thaw - so you have to consider what would happen if you thawed just one emby and it didnt make it - what would you do next? Thaw another, cancell the cycle?

I know this doesnt answer your questions - and actually just gives you more questions to find answers to... but I wanted to help you think through it.

I see you have 4 embies. If I were you I would do SET for them all. Then you know you have 4 tries (if they all thaw). So if your FET works on the first try again - then you have some left to try for siblings. If it doesnt work than you have a few more tries befor doing another IVF (if you can afford one)

Best of luck in your future. Congrats on your current pregnancy too!
Dx: Me PCOS, DH Azoospermia TTC since 2003 1st ATTEMPT: CRC Feb 28/09 - ER & MicroTESE: 31 eggs retreived Next day - 21 eggs were mature & Donor ICSI'd - 17 fertilized!! March 5/09 - ET: 1 grade 4AA blast...7dp5dt AF arrived and brought with her OHSS BETA:BFN 2nd ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility August 15/09 - FET: 1x 4AA Blast BETA:BFN 3rd ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility Sept 18/09 - FET: Assisted Hatching on 1 Morula & 1 8cell compacting. BETA:BFN 4th ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility March 10 2010 - FET 2 blasts BETA:BFN 5th ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility April: 4 Serial Endometrial Biopsys. May 31 FET 2 Blast 4AB & 2CC. Beta: 11dpt = 65, 13dpt = 194, 15dpt = 613, 19dpt = 2512, 21dpt=4377 U/S June 29 - Measuing 6w2d heart rate 126 bpm U/S July 12 - Measuring 8w4d heart rate 172 bpm U/S July 27 - Measuring 9w4d heart rate 176 bpm U/S September 29 - Measuring 20w1d 145bpm WE HAD A BOY! 6th ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility Oct 14 2012 - CD1 CD6 - in-cycle biopsy (to increase lining 'stickiness') CD10 - lining check 14mm Oct 29 - FET 1 2CC blast BFN May 2013 - FET cancelled at CD10 for polyp. Sono after AF revealed polyp gone. 7th ATTEMPT: ONE Fertility Aug 1 2013 - FET AH on 1 morula and 1 7cell grade 4A embryo (lost 2 others in the thaw) 1 Frosty Left!

#3 BabyHope2010

BabyHope2010
  • Cyclebase
  • 247 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:My boys (doggies), Reading, exercising, trying new things, Watching movies (comedies especially), going out to dinner, wine, traveling, volleyball, camping, boating, crafty things etc.
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Calgary, AB

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:12 PM

My clinic won't let me transfer 2 blastocysts, so I would have to use the 7day blasts by themselves anyway. I would be able to transfer the 2 3 day embryos. My first SET did not work, so the second time we used two 3 day embryos and one stuck around. I wouldn't do another fresh IVF cycle. So the way I see it is that I have 3 chances to have a second child, but still want to know what is my best option with what I have left. My clinic told me that they would not have frozen them if they didn't think they had a chance.
DX: Severe Male Factor
IVF/ICSI - transfer 1 blast (4AA) March/April = BFN
FET-transfer 2/3day embryos (8cell rated 1) June/July = BFP
EDD April 16th
Colson William arrived April 9th at 1249pm weighing 7.5lbs and healthy as can be