4 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah117

Sarah117
  • 95 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility Clinic

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

Hello,

I am preparing for my first IVF, and I am 39. I was just wondering, if there are numerous embies, and we freeze them, could I donate them later, or am I too old? If we decided that one child is all we needed, do I then have to destroy them?

Looking forward to your reply,
........Sarah

Posted Image

#2 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 7477 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

My understanding is that most clinics have a cut off age for embryo donation - I've never seen one above 35, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your clinic about their specific policies.Most clinics offer the option to donate your eggs and/or embryos to research as well; I don't think there are age restrictions on that.

Fingers crossed you are lucky enough to have multiple embryos and have some qualify for freezing and donation.

Good luck to you!
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Charity gives a meal; justice provides a place at the table.

#3 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 13147 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:36 PM

Hello Sarah,

I don't know the answer to your question so I will defer to what Mouse said. (Oh, hey just realised this is the Ask the Embryologist section, lol. Peter will know. :) )

I just wanted to say that I love the "Never, never, never give up" icon you added to your signature. Thank you. It means a lot to me & is also inspirational.

#4 Sarah117

Sarah117
  • 95 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility Clinic

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:33 PM

Thanks for your replies - I thought that most likely I couldn't donate, but I will deal with that when I get there. The thing is, there are so many women that are looking for donor eggs, it seems a shame that they can't be used.

Gibasgirl - glad the quote gives you inspiration - it does for me too, and it applies so well to our circumstances.
  • gibasgirl likes this
........Sarah

Posted Image

#5 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts
  • Interests:Stem cells, cord blood and infertility
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:The Bridge Clinic, Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:34 PM

Hello,

I am preparing for my first IVF, and I am 39. I was just wondering, if there are numerous embies, and we freeze them, could I donate them later, or am I too old? If we decided that one child is all we needed, do I then have to destroy them?

Looking forward to your reply,

It is very commendable to consider donation of embryos and I am fairly sure that your age is not an issue. The other option is to donate to research.

Good luck!

Peter
  • LovingSingleWoman likes this
www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com