#1 hopesprings

hopesprings

Hope Springs

• 80 posts
  • Interests:babies on the brain
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:46 AM

Hello Dr. Fiona McCullough
I was reading recently that natural progesterone cream is good for women suffering a luteal phase defect. My cycles have shortened from a healthy 28 day cycle to 24-5 day cycles and IVF monitoring shows a definite drop in progesterone levels.

During the cycles that my DH and I are not on IVF (breaks between IVF's) and trying on our own, I thought it might be beneficial to use one of these creams and see if it can lengthen my cycle. I am hoping to find a bio-identical cream, not synthetic.

My question is: a) what is your view of these creams for this purpose (ie, infertility/low progesterone) and B) is there any brand and dosage you would recommend that is available in Canada or available on-line through the US? and c) when is optimal time to apply this cream - Day 12 (as recommended by manufacturer) or the day after ovulation (if charting basal temperature)?
Thanks for any advice on the subject!

#2 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 750 posts
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

Hello Hope,

Thanks for posting this great question. In Canada these creams are by prescription only. Although you can buy them off the internet, they are supposed to be only for doctor's prescription and most reputable companies will not sell them to Canadian customers. Also beware since many of the natural progesterone creams out there don't actually contain progesterone, they just contain wild yam which cannot be converted to progesterone in the body. Bio-identical progesterone cream is also from wild yams but it is converted pharmaceutically into bio-identical progesterone and thus it is actually an active hormone.

This cream can be extremely helpful in the right case but I would not take them without a doctor's supervision. Even though it is natural, this form of progesterone is still a hormone and may not be suitable for everyone. Please contact your ND or MD for more information on this. Many ND's like myself work with MD's so that these treatments can be prescribed safely. Usually I would not use this cream until the day of ovulation or if you are charting, the day after. Otherwise it may actually interfere with ovulation itself.

Thanks so much for your question!

Dr Fiona

I was reading recently that natural progesterone cream is good for women suffering a luteal phase defect. My cycles have shortened from a healthy 28 day cycle to 24-5 day cycles and IVF monitoring shows a definite drop in progesterone levels.

During the cycles that my DH and I are not on IVF (breaks between IVF's) and trying on our own, I thought it might be beneficial to use one of these creams and see if it can lengthen my cycle. I am hoping to find a bio-identical cream, not synthetic.

My question is: a) what is your view of these creams for this purpose (ie, infertility/low progesterone) and B) is there any brand and dosage you would recommend that is available in Canada or available on-line through the US? and c) when is optimal time to apply this cream - Day 12 (as recommended by manufacturer) or the day after ovulation (if charting basal temperature)?

Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218

#3 hopesprings

hopesprings

Hope Springs

• 80 posts
  • Interests:babies on the brain

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for the great info again, Dr. F.
I have held off of purchasing this cream from the US. It is available on-line as a bio-identical there.
When I asked my RE to prescribe this, I was told that it doesn't exist in Canada and was prescribed the progesterone suppositories that we use during IVF instead. But I have held off on using that as well.

Hello Hope,

Thanks for posting this great question. In Canada these creams are by prescription only. Although you can buy them off the internet, they are supposed to be only for doctor's prescription and most reputable companies will not sell them to Canadian customers. Also beware since many of the natural progesterone creams out there don't actually contain progesterone, they just contain wild yam which cannot be converted to progesterone in the body. Bio-identical progesterone cream is also from wild yams but it is converted pharmaceutically into bio-identical progesterone and thus it is actually an active hormone.

This cream can be extremely helpful in the right case but I would not take them without a doctor's supervision. Even though it is natural, this form of progesterone is still a hormone and may not be suitable for everyone. Please contact your ND or MD for more information on this. Many ND's like myself work with MD's so that these treatments can be prescribed safely. Usually I would not use this cream until the day of ovulation or if you are charting, the day after. Otherwise it may actually interfere with ovulation itself.

Thanks so much for your question!

Dr Fiona

#4 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 750 posts
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:41 PM

Hello hope,
it is available in Canada through compounding pharmacies. If you are interested just send me an email and I will tell you the name of a compounding pharmacy in your area. Just bring in your doctor's prescription and they can give you the bio-identical cream.
Thanks!

Dr Fiona
Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218

#5 RainbowsPromise

RainbowsPromise
  • Global 100+
  • 682 posts
  • My Clinic:Christian Adoption Services, Calgary

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

Dr. Fiona, I was also told by my Chinese medicine herbalist that high doses of Vit B6/12 will also extend the luteal phase (and it definitely worked in my case, extending it by an average of 5 days). Is there a dose you would recommend? (I don't want to post the dose I was on, as I'm not sure if too high of doses of B6 are healthy long term and I know you have to be careful about taking too much because it can cause neurologic problems).
Me 42 DH 44 Married since 2005 and have been TTC the whole time.One adoption revocation through the AB govt (son taken back by birth family after 6 days)Multiple failed clomid cyclesMultiple failed home IUI cycles.Two failed IVF cycles (didn't get to retrieval).Pursuit of donor embryos through direct donation.FET with direct donor embryos in Nov 2010 resulted in a BFP!Jan 2011- both empty sacs and m/c has begun. June 2011- Second donor embryo cycle (anonymous donor). BFN.Oct 2011- Third donor embryo cycle (anonymous donor). BFN.Nov 2011- Pursuing private adoption through Christian Adoption Services.May 2012- Officially on the waiting list for CAS.See "About Me" page for specifics on our journey and continued updates.Believing that God WILL answer our prayers for children! He is the one who placed the desire for children in our hearts so we trust that it will happen.... in His time. The message that keeps coming is from Psalm 37:7 "Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him". December 2013- God has answered our prayers in a way we truly didn't think was possible- we brought home a little boy and survived the 10-day waiting period, lol. To Him be the glory- the testimony of this little one is amazing!