• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 oceanluvr

oceanluvr
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

My husband of 2 yrs and I have been trying to get pregnant since we married 2 yrs ago...we started when I was 49....I have just turned 51 on Aug 2/2010 and I still get my period evey month almost to the day....its not irregular. I have 3 boys form a previous marriage and he has no children. I love him so much and he is such a gentle,loving person...he'd be a great dad.I loved having children...I was meant to be a mom. He is 44 yrs old...he got his sperm tested and has sperm antibodies. We want a child together desperatly ....what can we do...We don't have the money for IVF....is there anything we might be able to try to help our chances.please help!

#2 sharlene

sharlene
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,737 posts
  • My Clinic:USA

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

I think you'd be better off posting this for the RE - but you may have to be a member here longer - not sure about that - the embryologist deals with issues about an embryo - not so much with getting pregnant.

I will tell you that I've never heard of any RE taking on a 51 year old patient - and without donor eggs your chance of conceiving a healthy child is not good, to put it gently. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm guessing you may already realize this.

Good luck with the family you already have though.

#3 anytime now

anytime now
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,561 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:22 PM

I understand your desire to have a child with your DH, and I'm sorry he didn't time his entry in your life earlier on.. I'm struggling myself to accept that at 42, my chances to have a live birth are very low. Just the other day, my RE was showing me the same chart that you will see in this article, which shows my miscarriage risk (about 50%). It is anticipated that only 1 of 5 of my eggs, or maybe even as few as 1/7 would be chromosomally normal at almost 42. This gets worse as the years go on. I believe that the chart will illustrate your potential for a pregnancy as well as your miscarriage likelihood, which I understand to be about 90%. Hopefully I am finding you accurate facts, but I'm sad to report such discouraging numbers...

http://archive.stude.../01/life/12.php

Wishing you well,

A.N.
Me: 44 (sigh) DB is 40 (Dear boyfriend!)

TTC from March 2009-March 2011 before DB had arrived on the scene
About 9 IUIs, 3 IVFs total

2 pregnancies with 7 week miscarriage requiring D&C
2 chemical pregnancies

April 2011 began a relationship now with a wonderful guy with an 8 year old son.
Sept 2011 Natural BFP while trying not to conceive (how ironic)
First Beta Day 15 from LMP was 851, Beta 4, 19 days post ovulation 5382
7wk US showed a heartbeat of 150! 9 wk US HB 185

May 19 2012 DS is born!!

#4 Good Fortune

Good Fortune
  • 1000+
  • 1,550 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Wessex

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:34 AM

If you want a child together but can't afford IVF, you might consider donor embryos. I think that would be the cheapest and safest way to bring a newborn into the world, with a far lower risk of miscarriage. The child would then be equally "yours."
I'm not sure what the age-limit is though. I think they would take your general health into consideration.

I know it's hard and I've struggled with it myself, but having a child together does not prove you have a great marriage, does not prove you are more in love or meant-to-be, and does not make your marriage any more secure or valid, in my humble opinion.
  • babatime, Flossie and gibasgirl like this
5 bites at the IVF cherry, no 2 lines, no babies, despite some "good" cycles.

NK cells tested March17th 2010. HIGHLY ELEVATED - 24%

When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.

PitaPata Cat tickers

#5 zoeoz

zoeoz
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Invitro, Family, money making ideas,
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:MCGILL

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

My husband of 2 yrs and I have been trying to get pregnant since we married 2 yrs ago...we started when I was 49....I have just turned 51 on Aug 2/2010 and I still get my period evey month almost to the day....its not irregular. I have 3 boys form a previous marriage and he has no children. I love him so much and he is such a gentle,loving person...he'd be a great dad.I loved having children...I was meant to be a mom. He is 44 yrs old...he got his sperm tested and has sperm antibodies. We want a child together desperatly ....what can we do...We don't have the money for IVF....is there anything we might be able to try to help our chances.please help!

I am by no means an expert but I do know from my own such experience and what my doctors have told me so here goes:

You have had children so your uterus is by most chances is good to carry a baby
You did not mention miscarriages and again you have 3 kids
You have a regular period
Cleary its only the aged eggs

I know nothing of your husbands sperm but from the above you COULD get pregnant with IVF with donor eggs and good sperm. My doctor got a 53 year old lady this year and I think it was on the second try and her husband was also younger and I think they tend to like the younger father aspect I think : )

IVF with donor eggs can cost anywhere from $4000 - $12,000.
Maybe you could find the money, if you really want it do it now.

Best of luck to you.

z :flowers:

#6 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3,061 posts
  • Interests:Stem cells, cord blood and infertility
  • My Clinic:The Bridge Clinic, Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

IUI may help assuming your FSH is still 10 or less.

Good luck!

Peter
www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com

#7 Alexine

Alexine
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Single
  • Dx:Other

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:53 PM

IUI may help assuming your FSH is still 10 or less.

Good luck!

Peter

Have you investigated Serum Clinic in Athens? They treat women with Donor Eggs up until the age of 58. Also Peny Abatzi who is the main doctor there is known to be very very good. If your AMH and FSH are good she might be able to advise you. Also it's a lot cheaper there than in Canada.
Best wishes,
Alexine
  • Jazz likes this