435 replies to this topic

#426 idream

idream
  • Global 100+
  • 326 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:57 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a limit on fertility drug coverage with Federal government medical benefits (PSHCP) ?

I have never heard of that I am just wondering. I have several thousand worth of drugs covered a few years ago, but have headed into another cycle soon.

thanks

idream

Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do

#427 tjluvbug

tjluvbug
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,574 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:59 AM

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a limit on fertility drug coverage with Federal government medical benefits (PSHCP) ?

I have never heard of that I am just wondering. I have several thousand worth of drugs covered a few years ago, but have headed into another cycle soon.

thanks

idream

There is no limit

<p>Me 34 (28 when we did first IVF) DH 49 3 IVF's, 2 FET's, & 2 IUI's.  Boy/Girl twins born March 12th, 2015 at 34w6d. Our family is complete

#428 grovehill123

grovehill123
  • 66 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:37 PM

So help me here, I'm a provincial worker, with sunlife coverage.  Ontario resident.  Could I have coverage?

#429 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 6,197 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball, travel & starting a family
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Heartland, Sanford, SIRM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:37 PM

It depends on how your group benefits program was designed. You would have to read your benefits booklet and call your group provider with the DINs to determine if they would be covered.

We've tried lots of things for a long time. None of them have resulted in a viable pregnancy.

#430 outdoorsliving

outdoorsliving
  • 9 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:25 AM

Still no updates yet?  Anyone contact the Plan Administrators or anything lately?  How frustrating this whole process is.  

the PSHCP needs to be updated in general anyways, several things are old.  Do you know if/when it could get re-negotiated?  (However, even with the current government they will probably take more away from our plan if they could.. Considering how they have been at the bargaining table lately and still haven't settled on a new contract).

#431 idream

idream
  • Global 100+
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:49 PM

I am wondering if anyone with the federal government has ever reached the catastrophe level of drug coverage?

Meaning that your out of pocket expenses have been more then $3000.00 in a fiscal year (or $15000.00 in total)?

I am wondering if fertility drugs are included in that calculation? i could be at half that by the end of January.  gadzooks!!!

#432 idream

idream
  • Global 100+
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:51 PM

Still no updates yet?  Anyone contact the Plan Administrators or anything lately?  How frustrating this whole process is.  

the PSHCP needs to be updated in general anyways, several things are old.  Do you know if/when it could get re-negotiated?  (However, even with the current government they will probably take more away from our plan if they could.. Considering how they have been at the bargaining table lately and still haven't settled on a new contract).

Did you know that there is a clause in our benefits that states if something is covered by provincial healthcare in one province but not another then our benefits are supposed to cover it.   Check it out.

#433 Wen1218

Wen1218
  • Global 100+
  • 128 posts
  • My Clinic:OFC in 2016 / MFC in 2017

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:30 AM

Hello,

I am in Ontario and I am a federal employee. I have contacted Sunlife and this is what I got from them:

Thank you for contacting Sun Life Financial. I welcome this opportunity to assist you.

The Customer Care Centre is currently experiencing higher than anticipated email and secured message volumes, resulting in longer than normal response times. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. Under the Public Service Health Care Plan (PSHCP), prescription drugs are eligible, provided they meet plan requirements.

To be eligible, the expenses must be:

• The reasonable and customary charges,

• Prescribed by a physician, dentist, or other qualified health professional if the applicable provincial/territorial legislation permits them to prescribe the drugs, and

• Dispensed by a pharmacist or physician. Drugs must legally require a prescription and be identified in the Monographs section of the current Compendium of Pharmaceuticals and Specialties as a narcotic, controlled drug, or requiring a prescription, unless they are otherwise specifically listed as eligible expenses in the plan.

The Cetrotide 0.25MG Injection (DIN 02247766), Crinone 8% Vag Gel (DIN 02241013), Gonal-F 5.5MCG Injection (DIN 02248154), Gonal-F 300U/0.5ML Pen (DIN 02270404), Gonal-F 450U/0.75ML Pen (DIN 02270390), Gonal-F 900U/1.5 ML Pen (DIN 02270382), Luveris 75 Units Vial (DIN 02269066) and Serophene 50MG Tablet (DIN 00893722) are all eligible and will be reimbursed at 80 percent of the reasonable and customary charge, provided your coverage is in force at the time the expenses are incurred.

This drug can be claimed up to a 100 days’ supply, per claim. If a generic equivalent is available, consideration will be based on the cost of the generic rather than the cost of the brand name. Your pharmacist will be able to tell you if a generic is available. Please note that should your Doctor feel that the generic version of this drug is not suitable to treat your medical needs, he/she may indicate on the prescription that no substitutions are to be made. If this is indicated on the prescription, the pharmacy would be able to override the generic substitution for this drug and we would be able to consider the cost of the brand name medication.

Please note that this information is based on your eligibility as of the date of this message. If your coverage terminates, you may no longer be eligible for this type of expense.

Should you require further information or clarification, we encourage you to contact us through our Websites (www.sunlife.ca/pshcp or www.sunlife.ca/pdsp) or by telephone at 1-888-757-7427, Monday to Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. (ET).

Emoticons09710.gif Our journey Emoticons09710.gif

2016-02-18: added to the IVF funded list
2016-08-18: got a call saying my name is up (waited 6 month)
2016-09-15: signed OHIP consent
2016-09-21: received a call from nurse. Treatment will start in October (BCP for 3 weeks first).
2016-10-12: CD1
2016-10-14: started Mirvala 21 for 24 days (last pill is 11/6)
2016-11-09: started Microdose Lupron (20 units) twice daily
2016-11-11: started Gonal-F (450 iu) and Luveris (150 iu) as well as usual Lupron twice daily
2016-11-17: U/S shows 4 leading follies. R: 11, 9.8, 6 / L: 12.9, 10, 5. Stims continues (same dosage).
2016-11-20: U/S shows 1 leading follies. R: 18, 14, 12, under 9 (3) / L: 14, 12, 10. Stims continues (same dosage).
2016-11-22: triggered at 1 am tonight! Finally!!!!
2016-11-24: ER. Fert. report: 5 eggs retrieved / 4 are mature / resulted in 3 embryos
2016-11-27: 2 day three embryos transferred
2016-12-06: 9dp3dt - spotting started
2016-12-07: 10dp3dt - heavier spotting
2016-12-08: 11dp3dt - AF started.
2016-12-09: 1st BETA th_abfn.gif
2017-01-03: next appointment with Dr.

*** Microdose Flare protocol ***

NEW START at the Markham Fertility Centre

2017-01-27 and 2017-02-09: U/S and Blood work
2017-04-25: initial appointment with Dr. Virro

Am9F39h.jpgAm9Fm4.png

#434 Wen1218

Wen1218
  • Global 100+
  • 128 posts
  • My Clinic:OFC in 2016 / MFC in 2017

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:33 AM

I also have contacted Sun Life regarding the medication coverage for my second try, and here is what I got from them: 

Thank you for contacting Sun Life Financial. We welcome this opportunity to assist you.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your query. Please be aware that a growing volume of messages received in the past month, over our estimated forecast, has rendered our replying times longer than usual.

The eligibility of In vitro fertilization (IVF) procedures is currently under review by the Administrative Authority. A review of this nature can take more than 6 months.

However, the Public Service Health Care Plan continues to cover 80% of reasonable and customary charges of eligible prescription drugs prescribed by a qualified health practitioner used in IVF treatment, regardless of the reason for treatment or the number of treatment cycles. Please note that this information is based on your eligibility as of the date of this message.

If your coverage terminates, you may no longer be eligible for this type of expense. Should you require further information or clarification, we encourage you to contact us through our Web site at www.sunlife.ca/pshcp or by telephone at 1-888-757-7427, Monday to Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (ET).

Emoticons09710.gif Our journey Emoticons09710.gif

2016-02-18: added to the IVF funded list
2016-08-18: got a call saying my name is up (waited 6 month)
2016-09-15: signed OHIP consent
2016-09-21: received a call from nurse. Treatment will start in October (BCP for 3 weeks first).
2016-10-12: CD1
2016-10-14: started Mirvala 21 for 24 days (last pill is 11/6)
2016-11-09: started Microdose Lupron (20 units) twice daily
2016-11-11: started Gonal-F (450 iu) and Luveris (150 iu) as well as usual Lupron twice daily
2016-11-17: U/S shows 4 leading follies. R: 11, 9.8, 6 / L: 12.9, 10, 5. Stims continues (same dosage).
2016-11-20: U/S shows 1 leading follies. R: 18, 14, 12, under 9 (3) / L: 14, 12, 10. Stims continues (same dosage).
2016-11-22: triggered at 1 am tonight! Finally!!!!
2016-11-24: ER. Fert. report: 5 eggs retrieved / 4 are mature / resulted in 3 embryos
2016-11-27: 2 day three embryos transferred
2016-12-06: 9dp3dt - spotting started
2016-12-07: 10dp3dt - heavier spotting
2016-12-08: 11dp3dt - AF started.
2016-12-09: 1st BETA th_abfn.gif
2017-01-03: next appointment with Dr.

*** Microdose Flare protocol ***

NEW START at the Markham Fertility Centre

2017-01-27 and 2017-02-09: U/S and Blood work
2017-04-25: initial appointment with Dr. Virro

Am9F39h.jpgAm9Fm4.png

#435 outdoorsliving

outdoorsliving
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:11 PM

Did you know that there is a clause in our benefits that states if something is covered by provincial healthcare in one province but not another then our benefits are supposed to cover it.   Check it out.

Yes this is the part of the section I was looking at and wondering if anyone had news from Sunlife regarding that.  Since Ontario will cover one round of IVF, by that clause in the plan we should be covered too if we live in a different province.  So far what it sounds like Sunlife is putting the claims on hold.

I already messaged Sunlife and they told me..

"Thank you for contacting Sun Life Financial. I welcome this opportunity to assist you. The Customer Care Centre is currently experiencing higher than anticipated secure messages, resulting in longer than normal response times. I sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

At this time, the PSHCP only provides coverage for IVF services to persons with bi-laterally blocked fallopian tubes. If approved, we allow eligible costs for 3 cycles of invitro fertilization (at 80%). While Sun Life is aware that the province of Ontario has announced changes to its coverage, the PSHCP does not automatically cover the same services. A review is underway, unfortunately we cannot confirm when the review will be completed or when a decision will be made (standard claims turn around time does not apply).

The PSHCP continues to cover 80% of reasonable and customary charges of eligible prescription drugs prescribed by a qualified health practitioner used in IVF treatment, regardless of the reason for treatment or the number of treatment cycles. To review the eligibility of this service / expense we require: Medical information that indicates that the patient has complete bilateral tube blockage, an itemized cost breakdown of all lab, physician, and other associated costs. Claims that do not meet the criteria are not automatically rendered ineligible: claims will be held pending the outcome of the review.

Please note that this information is based on your eligibility as of the date of this message. If your coverage terminates, you may no longer be eligible for this type of expense. Should you require further information or clarification, we encourage you to contact us through our Websites (www.sunlife.ca/pshcp or www.sunlife.ca/pdsp) or by telephone at 1-888-757-7427, Monday to Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. (ET).

Sincerely, Audrey Jamison Customer Care Centre Sun Life Financial Canada"

However I am still going to send in my claim with that clause and pointing out the coverage in Ontario too and hope for the best.  Expecting it to take a long time though.

#436 deformedswimmers

deformedswimmers
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:33 PM

I searched this topic quickly to see if anyone else is having issues with PSHCP and getting straight answers about IVF.  I read a good bit of this forum but may have missed a few things, one thing I didn't see that to me needs to happed is we need to press our Union, at the end of the day they negotiate with the government and the government sets what sunlife will and will not cover for us.  To me the fact that changes happened in late 2015, and we are still getting no word on what will change and when is not acceptable.

I don't need to tell people here the stress that being caught up in arguments over insurance can add to this issue already, but I personally have not felt like there is much of a commitment to get it fixed and maybe our unions don't know how many members are struggling?

Anyways good luck to all, and if I hear of any movement I'll let everyone know