• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 babywanted

babywanted
  • 76 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

Hello,

Can anyone tell me price for Puregon 300 at VFC Pharmacy? Is it more expensive than other pharmacies?

Me 39, DH Poor Morphology
8 IUI  2 Chemical Pregnancies
2010: 1st IVF BFN

2nd IVF Pregnant!!! Daughter was born July 2011

2013: November

Positive Pregnancy test :) Expecting twins

#2 Yvonne

Yvonne
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,366 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

I don't know the answer but I was just reading the information they sent me about their costs and they say their prices for meds are the same or lower than other pharmacies. I don't actually have any experience with the cost of meds yet though but they have been great at answering any questions by phone or email so if no one here replies I'm sure VFC staff would let you know the cost from them at least.
Started ttc in fall 04m/c@7 weeks in April 05
2006 found out about pcos and male factor
Decided to adopt.....approved and waiting until agency closed in Nov. 2009:(
IVF#1 July/August 2010 No transfer due to OHSS 10 frozen embryos :)
FET#1 Oct 14 2010 beta #1 was 7, beta#2 was negative :(
FET#2-Jan. 27 2011-BFN
FET #3-July 1, 2011.-BFP! looked okay for a while then ended "pregnancy of unknown location"Four embryos left.
FET#4-Feb. 17, 2012 two embryos transferred-grow embies grow! beta #1 44, #2 51 #3 207, #4 375...Found out it was ectopic lost the embies and both tubes-
I'm single now FET #5 in November 2014

#3 dary

dary
  • 32 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:52 PM

Hi there

shop around and ask for prices in pharmacies you deal with. I think safeway or walmart or pharasave are cheaper than any clinic.
also if you submit yor receipts to any insurence company they want a pharmacist to dispense the medication to be covered. That was one of the things to think of too before buying from a clinic.

dary

#4 babymama4

babymama4
  • 322 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility clinic

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

Hey guys,
Unfortunaly I have to say that the prices at the clinic are 3-5 times the price of Walmart. Walmart only charges the actual cost of the drug plus a 9.00 dispensing fee. I only know this because we got all of our meds at the clinic for 7 months and then when the holidays came, I got a prescription faxed to Walmart to make it easier for me. I was BLOWN away when the bill was 1/4 of what it was at the clinic..
We did sign a paper in the beginning that said we would buy all of our meds at the clinic and then if we needed to do a second fresh cycle it would be at a reduced rate. We were lucky enough to get a BFP on our First FET so didn't need to take advantage of that clause. If we needed that second cycle, it probably would have been worth it..
Also, I am having an issue with my insurance about getting my money reimbursed for the 6000.00 in drugs we have put out...They are disputing it because their were not prescriptions written for them.
I am definatly not bashing the Clinic...I love them there!It is just that this process is so expensive that I do wish though that someone would have let me know that getting the prescriptions at Walmart would have been much cheaper...Walmart also bills insurance directly making your payout even cheaper!

here is an example:

100 estrace
100 puregon

$275 at clinic
---------------------
200 estrace
250 puregon

$88 at walmart...that is with my 50% insurance coverage, but even without that you can see I got over double the meds for less than half the price.

Again, I love Dr H and all the staff, just trying to help my fellow ivf'r relieve some of the financial burden..it is so stressful!
Me: 37 DH : 35
Tubal in 2001 after birth of Third child ( children are 19,16,11)
Divorced in 2001
Remarried in 2007 to DH
DH loves my kids, but still wants to try for one of his own
2008 - looked into tubal reversal, found out tubes were gone!
July 2010- started ivf w icsi
July, Aug, Sept - Suprefact, Reponex, Puregon/ U/S and Bloodwork
20+ follicles -
ER- Sept 15- retrieved 20 eggs
ET- Sept 20 - 2 blasties - 6 frosties:)
First Beta - Oct 1 - stick embies stick!!
Oct 1 - BFN - devastated...

Here we go again...this time FET

Nov 8 - AF is in the building!!!
Nov 9 - start Estrace
Nov 23- U/S
Nov 30 - FET
Pupo again:)

spotting on Dec 8
Clinic sent me for an early beta on Dec 9
BFP!!
Beta - 186 - Dec 9, Day 11
2nd beta- 486- Dec 11, day 13

U/S Jan 4- 3 SACS!! Baby A very healthy with healthy heartbeat, Baby B very small, healthy heartbeat, 3rd SAC looks empty at this point...Doctor not sure if Baby B will make it...positive vibes, positive vibes!

Jan 19 - second u/s lost baby B, third sac still empty...Baby A measuring right on and doing very well:)
Feb 22 - U/S baby looks good, but showed placenta previa
Due date: August 18th...the anniversary of when DH and I started dating back in 2000:)

JULY 20,2011 RODERICK MAXUM DUNNE WAS BROUGHT INTO THE WORLD BY CSECTION DUE TO COMPLETE PLACENTA PREVIA. MAX HAS SOME BREATHING AND DIGESTING ISSUES AND IS CURRENTLY IN NICU UNTIL HE RIPENS UP A BIT;)

#5 Makana

Makana
  • Global 100+
  • 625 posts
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:59 PM

I've recently been filling my Rxs at Costco.....seems cheaper than anything else.
For those in BC, keep in mind that I think your PharmaCare account plays into what you pay.....
For example, my prices at the pharmacy even for the same Rxs seem to vary....at the end of the year I think I have totally paid of my deductible with Pharmacare, so I have gotten a lot for free!

#6 Plumeria

Plumeria
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

Hi, Puregon at VFC is $325 for 300IU and there is no extra dispensing fee on top of that. Every time I have received medication from VFC they are very good about reminding me that if my insurance has any problems with their receipts, they will write a letter to the company to satisfy their requirements.

I'm interested to see what other pharmacies charge because our insurance only pays $250 A YEAR for fertility medications, so we really need to get the most out of our dollars!

Good luck!

#7 babymama4

babymama4
  • 322 posts
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility clinic

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:07 PM

I got the letter from VFC and my insurance still isn't happy:(
Me: 37 DH : 35
Tubal in 2001 after birth of Third child ( children are 19,16,11)
Divorced in 2001
Remarried in 2007 to DH
DH loves my kids, but still wants to try for one of his own
2008 - looked into tubal reversal, found out tubes were gone!
July 2010- started ivf w icsi
July, Aug, Sept - Suprefact, Reponex, Puregon/ U/S and Bloodwork
20+ follicles -
ER- Sept 15- retrieved 20 eggs
ET- Sept 20 - 2 blasties - 6 frosties:)
First Beta - Oct 1 - stick embies stick!!
Oct 1 - BFN - devastated...

Here we go again...this time FET

Nov 8 - AF is in the building!!!
Nov 9 - start Estrace
Nov 23- U/S
Nov 30 - FET
Pupo again:)

spotting on Dec 8
Clinic sent me for an early beta on Dec 9
BFP!!
Beta - 186 - Dec 9, Day 11
2nd beta- 486- Dec 11, day 13

U/S Jan 4- 3 SACS!! Baby A very healthy with healthy heartbeat, Baby B very small, healthy heartbeat, 3rd SAC looks empty at this point...Doctor not sure if Baby B will make it...positive vibes, positive vibes!

Jan 19 - second u/s lost baby B, third sac still empty...Baby A measuring right on and doing very well:)
Feb 22 - U/S baby looks good, but showed placenta previa
Due date: August 18th...the anniversary of when DH and I started dating back in 2000:)

JULY 20,2011 RODERICK MAXUM DUNNE WAS BROUGHT INTO THE WORLD BY CSECTION DUE TO COMPLETE PLACENTA PREVIA. MAX HAS SOME BREATHING AND DIGESTING ISSUES AND IS CURRENTLY IN NICU UNTIL HE RIPENS UP A BIT;)

#8 *Miracles*

*Miracles*
  • 1000+
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

Hey guys,
Unfortunaly I have to say that the prices at the clinic are 3-5 times the price of Walmart. Walmart only charges the actual cost of the drug plus a 9.00 dispensing fee. I only know this because we got all of our meds at the clinic for 7 months and then when the holidays came, I got a prescription faxed to Walmart to make it easier for me. I was BLOWN away when the bill was 1/4 of what it was at the clinic..
We did sign a paper in the beginning that said we would buy all of our meds at the clinic and then if we needed to do a second fresh cycle it would be at a reduced rate. We were lucky enough to get a BFP on our First FET so didn't need to take advantage of that clause. If we needed that second cycle, it probably would have been worth it..
Also, I am having an issue with my insurance about getting my money reimbursed for the 6000.00 in drugs we have put out...They are disputing it because their were not prescriptions written for them.
I am definatly not bashing the Clinic...I love them there!It is just that this process is so expensive that I do wish though that someone would have let me know that getting the prescriptions at Walmart would have been much cheaper...Walmart also bills insurance directly making your payout even cheaper!

here is an example:

100 estrace
100 puregon

$275 at clinic
---------------------
200 estrace
250 puregon

$88 at walmart...that is with my 50% insurance coverage, but even without that you can see I got over double the meds for less than half the price.

Again, I love Dr H and all the staff, just trying to help my fellow ivf'r relieve some of the financial burden..it is so stressful!

I am thinking maybe your insurance company covered 100% for the estrace?? I have Sunlife insurance that covers NO fertility drugs but it does cover estrace 100%. Even if that is the case, that would put the price for Puregon at $176 for 250iu Puregon and that is really good.

Just for comparison, I paid $320 for 300iu Gonal F(Same drug as Puregon) at a pharmacy in Saskatchewan. There is an overfill of 75iu in each 300 pen so you are actually getting 375iu. Does Puregon pens have an overfill?
-Cycle History in About Me Page- 8 IVFs + 2 Frozen tx- All BFNs / 2012 DE cycle- BFP / March 2013 DE cycle- BFN

#9 Plumeria

Plumeria
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:19 PM

Babymama4, sorry to hear your insurance company still isn't happy. How frustrating. :(

Odessa, yes, the Puregon pens do have an overfill. :)

#10 *Miracles*

*Miracles*
  • 1000+
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:59 PM

Babymama4, sorry to hear your insurance company still isn't happy. How frustrating. :(

Odessa, yes, the Puregon pens do have an overfill. :)

Do you know how much overfill there is? I was quoted $6000-$7000 in meds cost for my next cycle so I am trying to figure out which meds would be the best bang for my buck ;). I was told there is no difference between Gonal F and Puregon or any other FSH drugs, but for me having to take 600iu a day even if there is a $100 difference a day is $1200 less for me :).
-Cycle History in About Me Page- 8 IVFs + 2 Frozen tx- All BFNs / 2012 DE cycle- BFP / March 2013 DE cycle- BFN

#11 Plumeria

Plumeria
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:13 PM

Hi Odessa, wow, that is a lot in medication costs! Sorry, but I'm not sure exactly how much overfill there is but I've always been told by the clinic that there is overfill in the Puregon cartridges. I asked my husband (he handles the medication :) ) and his guess was that there is about 50iu-75iu overfill in it.

#12 Plumeria

Plumeria
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:46 AM

Hi all, I have a question about the overfill in the Puregon pens. Right now I'm using 100iu per injection and so I get 3 shots out of the 300 iu cartidge. What do you do with the overfill? Do any of you use it? (i.e. can you use another needle to get it out of there and combine with another overfill cartridge to make the 100iu or do you just do 2 shots to make the 100iu?) It's just so expensive - it's like throwing $50-$75 away if you don't use it :o Help!

#13 4leggedbaby

4leggedbaby
  • 200 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

Hi all, I have a question about the overfill in the Puregon pens. Right now I'm using 100iu per injection and so I get 3 shots out of the 300 iu cartidge. What do you do with the overfill? Do any of you use it? (i.e. can you use another needle to get it out of there and combine with another overfill cartridge to make the 100iu or do you just do 2 shots to make the 100iu?) It's just so expensive - it's like throwing $50-$75 away if you don't use it :o Help!

Yes, I take another needle and draw out the remaining meds. Usually I let a few pens add up so that I can fill 1 needle (1 daily dose) and give myself that shot rather than doing 2 shots (ie 25 units from the overfill + xx many units from the next pen to meet my daily shots).

If you use up your 300 units from the pen the pen will still distribute a little bit more but there's still some left in the pen regardless. Using a second needle allows you to pull up more (and save more). I was on 450/day Gonal F and I got away with 2 less pens (almost $1000 in meds) buy using the overfill.

The best is to use syringes that have removalbe needles and once you draw up your amount from the pen change the needle (as it dulls each time you inject it into a pen to draw the meds).

That said its IMPORTANT!!!! To remember that units of measurement may be different from the pen to the syring so make sure your comfortable knowing how much your drawing out and the unit of measurement on the syring your using.

BTW - I'm a high dose stimmer and I compared my local Walmart prices to VFC's. Yes, the Walmart prices are lower but it was still cost effective by over $1000 for us to go with VFC's med distribution and Premier Plan then not (and by saving more using the overfill I saved another $1,000 but that would have been the same with another pharmacy - just another way to reduce costs). If we had to do a second cycle with VFC it would then equate to over $3000 in savings so well worth it if your like most who require more than one attempt.

Prometrium, Estrace and a few others will be covered under most extended medical plans. Plans differ on Fertility drugs so that's where the grey area is. Send in all reciepts as you simply don't know what they will cover because that medication may also be used for other not fertilty related issues.
IF Dx: MF (OA corrected with surgery) 0% morph

IVF #1 (Nov/Dec 2006)- BFN (IF Dx #2: Poor Responder & poor egg quality)
IVF #2 (May 2007) - Lost twin boys at 24w
IVF #3 (March/Apr 2008) - m/c @ 10w
IVF #4 (Nov 2008) - Welcomed DD in Aug 2009

IVF#5 (Nov 2010) - EDD: Aug 13, 2011
Its a Girl!! Diagnosed with CDH @ 19w2d

#14 Plumeria

Plumeria
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:25 AM

Wow, thanks for the great response 4leggedbaby! We actually tested a really old one (partially used from November and I didn't know if I could still use it - the box says it's only good for 28 days after opening?). Anyway, there was about 120iu of overfill in it! I couldn't believe it - that's like throwing away $120 if you don't use it!

Thanks for the tips on how to get it out, that will definately save us some money :)