7 replies to this topic

#1 mmoyd

mmoyd

Graduate

• 78 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

I realize this topic is not for everybody, however... here goes. I am trying to find a way to give breast milk to a baby who may need it. I have tons. I pump - my little guy never latched properly... but that is another story. I currently have about 60 litres of breast milk in my freezer that I will not need. Is there a baby out there that anyone knows of that could use this. I hate to chuck it as it was allot of work to get it all. Originally I thought my nephew would need it, but for once, my sister actually has milk. The milk is bagged and sorted as to weeks of age for my little guy. My baby is currently 4.5 months. Anyone?
Me: 31 DH: 32
Dx: Endometriois stage IV
IVF: one beautiful success

#2 gr8girrl

gr8girrl

Lionchick wants cub.

• 461 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:NewLife Burlington

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

This guy would probably take it. http://www.asylum.co...daniel-angerer/ LOL

That's very generous of you to offer. There must be milk donation channels...
TTC 8 Years, unexplained + MF, now age 37, DH 35
Tried Clomid with no luck for 6 months

Dec 2009 IVF with ICSI:
CD 16 - Dec 19 - 8 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized
CD 21 - Dec 24 - 2 5-Day Blasts transferred, Grade 2AA and 3AA, 2 more on ice
Beta 1 - Jan 4th - BFP 375
Beta 2 - Jan 6th - 977
1st U/S - Jan 29th - 1 perfect bean, 156bpm, 7w6d
April 20th - 19w3d U/S - Baby's looking good.
Due Date - Sept 11, 2010
C-Section scheduled for Aug 27, 2010 due to complete placenta previa and
insulin-dependent gestational diabetes. FUN!

7 pm 8/9/10 - early arrival of little Violet Ann, 5 lbs 9 oz

#3 gr8girrl

gr8girrl

Lionchick wants cub.

• 461 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:NewLife Burlington

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

I found some interesting related information for anyone interested in storage of this stuff:

HUMAN MILK STORAGE - QUICK REFERENCE CARD
Temperature Storage Time
Freshly expressed milk
Warm room 79°F / 25°C 4-6 hours
Room temperature 66-72°F / 19-22°C 10 hours
Insulated cooler / icepacks 60°F / 15°C 24 hours
Refrigerated Milk (Store at back, away from door)
Refrigerator (fresh milk) 32-39°F / 0-4°C 8 days
Refrigerator (thawed milk) 32-39°F / 0-4°C 24 hours
Frozen Milk (Do not refreeze! Store at back, away from door/sides)
Freezer compartment
inside refrigerator (older-style) Varies 2 weeks
Self-contained freezer unit
of a refrigerator/freezer Varies 3-6 months
Separate deep freeze 0°F / 19°C 6-12 months
These guidelines are for milk expressed for a full-term healthy baby.
If baby is seriously ill and/or hospitalized, discuss storage guidelines with baby’s doctor.

To avoid waste and for easier thawing & warming, store milk in 1-4 ounce portions. Date milk before storing. Milk from different pumping sessions/days may be combined in one container – use the date of the first milk expressed.

Breastmilk is not spoiled unless it smells really bad or tastes sour.

To thaw milk

◦Thaw slowly in the refrigerator (this takes about 12 hours – try putting it in the fridge the night before you need it). Avoid letting milk sit out at room temperature to thaw.
◦For quicker thawing, hold container under running water - start cool and gradually increase temperature.
Previously frozen milk may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours after it has finished thawing. Do not refreeze.

To warm milk

◦Heat water in a cup or other small container, then place frozen milk in the water to warm; or
◦Use a bottle warmer.
◦NEVER microwave human milk or heat it directly on the stove.
The cream will rise to the top of the milk during storage. Gently swirl milk (do not shake) to mix before checking temperature and offering to baby.

If baby does not finish milk at one feeding, it may be refrigerated and offered at the next feeding before it is discarded.
TTC 8 Years, unexplained + MF, now age 37, DH 35
Tried Clomid with no luck for 6 months

Dec 2009 IVF with ICSI:
CD 16 - Dec 19 - 8 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized
CD 21 - Dec 24 - 2 5-Day Blasts transferred, Grade 2AA and 3AA, 2 more on ice
Beta 1 - Jan 4th - BFP 375
Beta 2 - Jan 6th - 977
1st U/S - Jan 29th - 1 perfect bean, 156bpm, 7w6d
April 20th - 19w3d U/S - Baby's looking good.
Due Date - Sept 11, 2010
C-Section scheduled for Aug 27, 2010 due to complete placenta previa and
insulin-dependent gestational diabetes. FUN!

7 pm 8/9/10 - early arrival of little Violet Ann, 5 lbs 9 oz

#4 mmoyd

mmoyd

Graduate

• 78 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

lol - yes, my sister in law sent me the same link about human breast milk being used by that chef for cheese. Yuck! Thanks for the storage guidlines. I know it'll be good until January as it's been frozen in my deep freeze. I still produce about 300-500mls/day more than my baby drinks so I know I will never get into that supply I already have in the freezer.
If anyone knows of donation channels in Alberta let me know. As far as I could find out there is only one breast milk bank in Canada in Vancouver. AND, you can't post ads for breast milk on Kijiji because they don't allow you to post bodily fluids. Crazy. Anyways, if anyone knows of someone please let me know!

#5 Giver

Giver
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

I realize this topic is not for everybody, however... here goes. I am trying to find a way to give breast milk to a baby who may need it. I have tons. I pump - my little guy never latched properly... but that is another story. I currently have about 60 litres of breast milk in my freezer that I will not need. Is there a baby out there that anyone knows of that could use this. I hate to chuck it as it was allot of work to get it all. Originally I thought my nephew would need it, but for once, my sister actually has milk. The milk is bagged and sorted as to weeks of age for my little guy. My baby is currently 4.5 months. Anyone?

I have a friend by Sherwood park who I set up with a lady for breast milk. She is starting to wien so she needs to find another donor. Her boy is 4 months and has been getting 4 - 6 oz for every 24 hours extra. If you have some to donate that would be great

#6 HugsALot

HugsALot
  • 533 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:38 PM

Mmoyd, I think this is wonderful! I also wanted to donate but couldn't find anyone at the time... I read once about an organization in USA that sends BM to AFRICA! WOW!

What a great gift!

xoxox

#7 mmoyd

mmoyd

Graduate

• 78 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for the support and interest too! It's a huge relief. HugsALot - I know what you mean. I contacted the LaLeche Leaque even and they cannot set you up with someone they know needs milk because they aren't insure for that! crazy. Apparently the royal alex is looking at getting a milk bank going, but that will likely be a long ways off. We all know how fast they got their fertility program up and running...

#8 S TerBerg

S TerBerg
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

I have a 10 week old little one, can't give milk, and I'm in Edmonton.
Please call me at 780-988-8851.

Shikha TerBerg