4 replies to this topic

#1 valentine0214

valentine0214
  • Cyclebase
  • 1897 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:CTR for Adv. Reproductive Services

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

I have been feeling so conflicted lately. In the US we only get l6 weeks paid leave. My baby will be 5 mos soon and I am still home with her, and I am very grateful for every day. I managed to stretch out my leave to 10 weeks but when I returned to work, my employer didnt have enough work (long story)...and I managed to be able to work from home for a couple months until the inevitable happened: I was laid off. Now I have been completely home/unemployed for 2 weeks and didnt really have any intentions of putting a rush on the job search - till I got my first unemployment check. It was not nearly as much as I thought it would be and it wont even cover my mortgage payments. So, I started a hard core search for a job this week and I have just been on such an emotional rollarcoaster.

Part of me wants to go back to work (I have been feeling like in a 'fog' since I got pregnant - and finally this 'fog' has lifted.)...While I was in this fog I thought 'I wanna stay home forever'...and I was so very happy doing so....but now I am feeling the urge to go back to the work world. Part of me wants to stay home with my daughter and protect her from the outside world, avoid putting her in daycare and be happy at home watching her development (which makes me so incredibly happy). I know I cant stay home forever, and I am longing for a job where I can have a different type of stimulation, but I am worried about her, putting her into the hands of strangers. Part of this is coming from the fact that I was abused as a child (by a family member) and I guess I feel very protective over her. If I couldnt even trust my own family, how can I hand her over to people I dont know?

Part of me also feels guilty for being here all day, while bf goes to work. I know he feels a tinge of jealousy (though he would never admit it) because the baby always wants me, and she doesnt really know him all that well...that's because I am breastfeeding and there is a close bond between a mom and baby when you are home all day together. And I have always been the higher earner in the house, so to only be bringing in a third of my income right now feels very awkard to me.

Today I got called for an interview for Monday, they want someone to start PRONTO, and I have no daycare lined up and havent even thought about it...I never thought things would move so fast and I am so frightened. I am scared to go back, yet scared to stay home. I am starting to become depressed because I am not getting out enough and I dont want to go out because I am depressed and lazy. It's a vicious cycle. Anyone else out there with the same experience? I am feeling quite lonely and sad right now.
Me - 40 DH -38IVF for PGD (Marfans)Started Process in April '08IVF#1 - Jan 09' - no embies to transfer :(IVF#2 - (Gonal-F, Cetrotide, Luveris)3/26/09 - ER - 11 follies retrieved, all 11 fertilized !!!!3/31/09 - ET - 2 transferred, nothing to freeze4/9/09 - Beta #1 - 94 (9dp5dt) - BFP!!!4/13/09 - Beta #2 - 491 (13dp5dt)4/17/09 - Beta #3 - 1680 (17dp5dt)4/19/09 - Beta #4 - 4000 (19dp5dt)4/21/09 - U/S #1,5/5/09 - 2nd U/S, 5/19/09 - 3rd U/S, 7/21 - ITS A GIRL!! EDD 12/16/0912/24/09 - Jasmin Rose born at 11:32pm via c-section, 7lbs, 3oz~Switched Clinics~IVF#3 -6/6/11 - start BCP's7/1/11 - Baseline/Start stims - 300 Gonal-F, 150 Menopur (Elevated FSH - 12.1)7/8/11 - cancelled due to poor response....~Back to original clinic~~IVF#41/6/12 -start date -Microdose Lupron, Gonal F - cancelled - FSH 25, TSH 5.8 3/13 - pregnant from natural, missed miscarriage in MayLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

#2 allcriedout

allcriedout
  • Global 100+
  • 616 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:HART

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

Val - so sorry to hear about how you are feeling and the position that you are in. Unfortunately I do not have any advice to offer - just (((((((((((hugs))))))))))).

Love and hugs,
ACO
xo

#3 Rosa

Rosa
  • Global 100+
  • 765 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Create IVF

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

I am also feeling conflicted. I have to go back in 2 months and it's been a roller-coaster being home.

On the one hand, as you mentioned, it's so great being your child and bonding with them. On the other hand, I do miss having a lunch break, time to myself and getting out of the house on a regular basis. I also miss the mental stimulation, because taking care of a small baby is such physical work. It's completely different types of work.

I felt really depressed after DD was born and didn't start feelling like myself until she was around 3.5 months.

I think what you're feeling is not uncommon. As I think about going back to work, I worry and panic too. How will I handle juggling work/child care etc. How can I trust someone to take care of DD?

I have no advice, but you're not alone in your concerns.
Me 45, DH 41
TTC 3 years
Uterine polyps, high prolactin levels and tested positive for anti-cardio lipin
5 failed IUI's
IVF #1 July 2007, 32 eggs retrieved (many immature), 12 fertilzed, 9 made it to day 3, transferred 3 embbies, BFN
FET #1 - 3 embryos Oct 07, beta Nov 2nd, another BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 2007, on Lupron and birth control pill, 11 days of stims 225 Gonal F plus 75 Repronex and 150 Gonal F at night, retrieved 18 eggs Dec 11th, 8 fertilized through ICSI and 4 naturally
Transfer - 3, 8 cell embryos Dec 14th, BETA Dec 28th, BFN
7 frozen
FET #2 - June 5/08, BFN
hysteroscopy and polypectomy on Sept 25/08, removed 1 polyp
FET #3 - used up my last 4 frosties Oct 27/08
Beta Nov 9/08 125 BFP 13dp3dt
Beta Nov 11/08 315 15dp3dt
Beta Nov 15/08 over 2000 19dp3dt
Beta Nov 18/08 7365 22dp3dt
U/S date Nov 29/08, a singleton, heart beat 131 beats per minute
U/S date Dec 7/08, heart beat 160 beats per minute, growth good 8 w 2 days
U/S date Dec 13/08, heart beat 157 beats per minute, growth good at 9 w 1 day, baby moving around
U/S date Dec 27/08, heart beat 165 beats per minute, growth good at 11 weeks 1 day, baby moving around, now has arms and legs and was kicking
nuchal test US Jan 2/08 TEXTBOOK NORMAL Thank you God!
IPS pregnancy test results NORMAL, risk is 1/800 of Down's Syndrome and 1/1,100 for spina bifida
anatomical u/s NORMAL, it's a girl!
Due date July 18, 2009 in the home stretch

Sophia Anne born July 22, 2009 at 12:41 AM via emergency C-Section.

Fell down the stairs Aug 4, 2010, fractured C7, T1, T3 and 4 ribs (neck and upper spine). Still healing and hoping bones fuse on their own.

#4 Baxie

Baxie
  • 509 posts
  • Interests:Yoga
    Sailing
    Throwing clay
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Foothills Regional Fertility Program

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:04 PM

I think I had a delayed case of PPD. I was just fine after DD was born, but that whole year I was home with her I just never felt like myself. I loved seeing her grow and develop and taking her to play-group and Gymboree and things, but I didn't realize how blue I really was until I nearly ruined a friendship. I had become someone else and it wasn't cool.

I'm not sure if it was hormonal (as I was BF-ing) or if I was just not used to being at home making gov't maternity benefits (which was a quarter of my income). All I know is that the moment I returned to work, I felt like me again. This happened to coincide with the same week I got my cycle back and started to wean DD.. .so who knows?

You'll have to find a childcare solution that works for you. It's not easy and you'll never feel 100% at first. I cried the first little while after dropping DD off and I felt like the worst mother ever, believe me. After a couple of months, she got used to the arrangement and so did I. The best part of my day is going to pick her up and she runs to me with a big smile!

Now that I'm back at work and I am out of my 'blues', I have way more energy and look forward to the time I can spend with DD. I can't wait to get home and play with her. She now has a happy energetic mommy who wants to pick her up and give her a zoom around the park, take her down the slide and chase her around the house. I didn't seem to have the energy to want to do any of that while I was at home.

You're definitely not alone, valentine. I know how you feel. I hope you find a childcare option that you're comfortable with soon. It sounds to me like you need to back to the grind!

(Incidentally, I only got 6 weeks 'paid' maternity leave too. It's just law in Canada that you get maternity benfits for up to a year and your employer must hold your job for you or one at the same level.)
Me 34 DH 35
Dx: MF due to ASAs

TTC #1

IUI#1 BFN
IUI#2 BFN
IUI#3 Third attempt at IUI using 100mg Clomid May 29, 2008
Spent the two week wait on a business trip in Houston. Had margaritas by the pool and a beer at the ballgame. CONVINCED AF was coming... but....
June 15, 2008 - BFP!!!!

ALICE ISLA BORN FEB 21, 2009!!!
8lbs 9oz

TTC#2

May 2010- I guess we're now unofficially trying au naturel until I get to the doc to send our re-refferal in to Foothills. Planning to start IUIs again in the fall.

Back the truck up!! Surprise natural BFP June 8, 2010!!! Spotting a bit.
Cautious but hopeful.
June 10, 2010: Spotting stopped, more hopeful now
July 6: First midwife appointment!
July 30: Nuchal Scan!! All is measuring well. HB = 160 bpm! Finally feeling like I can be excited about this pregnancy.
Sept 22: Ultrasound shows healthy baby, all is normal and growing well. Feeeling right guilty that I forgot to get photos!!

GEORGE RUSSELL BORN FEB 21, 2011!!!
9 lbs 3 oz

#5 tigerlady

tigerlady
  • 1000+
  • 2596 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Centre

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:21 PM

I went thru the same thing. I didnt want to go, I cried and cried. Once I got a taste of the outside world again, I craved more and I felt so guilty for wanting to leave my daughter. I have the best of both worlds right now, I only work 3 days a week! Its great! I get my ME time and adult converstations, the stimulation I craved as well I get to partially stay home with my daughter. Your definitely not alone Val! It will get easier, I promise!

Hugs Anne
Anne
IVF.CA Team

Me 34 DH 50 TTC 5 Years, 2 Ectopic, one tube removed one blocked.. many miscarriages and grief later 1 Laparotomy, 1 Laprascopy
IVF#1
Dec 9, 2008 start BCP Dec 20,2008 Start Suprefact Jan 2, 2009 start Puregon....wooohooo good-bye Suprefact headaches
23 Follicles, 20 growing I am starting to feel like I will burst!!! ER: Jan 14Thank god thats over with!!!!!! 11 Eggs retrieved - 9 Fertilized
ET - Jan 17 930 am - transferred 2 8cell grade 3.5 embryos,,, 2 to Freeze :-)) Beta Jan 28- 113 Beta Jan 30- 339 Beta Feb 2- 1570 DUE DATE Oct 8, 2009 u/s feb 9 One baby!
2nd u/s Feb 20 143 HB! All is well, no more trips to OFC! ITS A GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shelby-Anne Darcy was born on Sept 17, 2009 at 1920hrs weighing 7lbs5oz!!!! My beautiful little miracle!!

IVF #2 - Consult Mar 17, 2010!! March 29 - Baseline ultrasound - 26 Follicles Woohoo STarted BCP April 28 Suprefact May 8 225iu Puregon May 21 ER: June 2 11 Eggs retrieved!! Only 6 fertilized ET: June 5 2 embies 8 cell grade 4 and 8 cell grade 3 POAS-a-thon begins June 14 - Beta:June 18 BFP - thought it was miscarriage - nope, thought it was ectopic--no..dont think so, something in the uterus......the suspense.....
MISCARRIAGE :-(

IVF#3 Nov 21 start Suprefact, Dec 3 Puregon ----- stay tuned - transferred 2 perfect eggs on Day 3
We are pregnant!! WOohoo Beta 3025 JAN - One perfect bean measuring a week ahead and a beautiful heartbeat!
Mitchell Robert Alphonse Cormier was born August 02, 2011 at 2014 hrs weighing 6 pounds, 6 ounces~