7 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs. H

Mrs. H
  • Global 100+
  • 667 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:ARTUS

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

I started this topic because I feel that the IVF Funding topic under General Infertility goes unnoticed way too often. Also, because I need to ask Saskatchewan residents a favor. This morning our MLA phoned me from Regina after speaking to the Minister of Health. We spoke to him a few weeks ago about possible funding in Saskatchewan and when he phoned this morning I was told it has been mentioned to the Minister of Health numerous times and reccommended we write a letter. So my favor to all of you is to do the same. I'm hoping that we can get enough people on board that we can make a difference. This is the route we chose regardless of cost, but if you hated your nose you could change it at no cost to you. If you hated your stomach, your breats or any of your own features, you could have them changed at no cost. So why are we paying these incredible costs for something that is supposed to be happening naturally? What's wrong with a bit of assistance?

Thank you all for listening to my rant, I hope you all consider what I've said and share my interest in this topic. Feel free to post your opinions and concerns and I hope you take the time to write the letter as I did. I'm sure you will not regret it.
TTC #1
IVF #1 - June 2009
BFN - chemical
FET #1 - September 2009
BFN - chemical
FET # 2 - November 2009
BFP!!
Bentley Raymond born 37w6d on July 16, 2010

TTC#2
IVF #2 - September 2011
SET September 11th
BFP!!
Austin James born 39 weeks on May 24, 2012

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Code snippet: HTML, Used for some forums.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#2 mollygirl21

mollygirl21
  • Cyclebase
  • 1513 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:18 AM

Way to go Mrs. H! I'm so happy you got his attention :) Keep it going everyone, the more they hear about it, the less they can ignore it.

Personally, I think it is important to stress that funding and regulating IVF would pay for itself in reduced multiple births. Neonatal care for underweight babies is huge and women pregnant with multiples are often admitted to the hospital early ($$), on medical EI ($$), have extra u/s ($$).

Show them we can make this change and help families without it costing any extra and it might even free up some healthcare dollars for other programs in the long run.

The findings from the panel in Ontario discuss some of these savings in detail.

The most important thing though is to make sure your politicians know this is an issue for their constituants. Write, write, write letters, make calls and ask your friends and family to do the same. If yours are like mine, they always say "I wish there was something I could do to help" - well this is how they can help.

Thanks for speaking up Mrs. H.

Mollygirl
After 3+ years, my cycle history is quite long. For details on each cycle, please visit my "About Me" page

Trying since fall 2007
All tests show normal (we're "unexplained")

COH+IUI in Nov 08 = BFN
IVF # 1 Feb 09 - BFN
IVF #2 June 2009 - BFP
13 week u/s showed a missed m/c. Baby stopped developing around 8 weeks. Damn.

Moving on to adoption :)
March 22, 2010 - finished PRIDE classes
waiting to begin homestudy sometime in the next two years. That's not a typo - TWO YEARS
Feb 2012 - got a call that they are ready to start our home study...putting off all adoption decisions for at least 6 months because I am 2 weeks from my due date (see below)

Feb 2011 - we've been offered donor embryos! FET in a few months after preliminary tests are done...
FET June 2011:
May 7 - start suprefact and low dose aspirin (on CD21)
May 14 - AF started - super heavy and I'm super cranky. Headaches from the suprefact too
May 21 - starting Estrace and both of us start antibiotics
June 3 - u/s to check lining
June 8 - FET
June 21 - Beta is 564. June 24 Beta is 2286
July 12 - first u/s at 7w1d
Aug 18 - second u/s at 12w4d - everything looks great
Aug 30 - first prenatal appt
Oct 6 - 20w anatomy scan, could find out the sex!
It's a BOY!!
EDD is Feb 26, 2012
beautiful healthy baby boy born March 1, 2012 <3

My friend ButterflyKiss provided this quote from Laura Bush's book and I think it captures how many of us feel:"The English language lacks the words to mourn an absence... for someone who was never there at all, we are wordless to capture that particular emptiness. For those who deeply want children and are denied them, those missing babies hover like silent, ephemeral shadows over their lives. Who can describe the feel of a tiny hand that is never held?"

#3 apanda

apanda
  • 1000+
  • 1068 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Artus

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:20 AM

Mrs. H

I am on board with you and will write a letter too! I am glad that you started this thread I firmly believe that we need to get involved with this too but I am often too busy between the hospital and my store. I will find the time and write a letter to the minster of health for SK is that right?

Amanda
Me 38 DH 38
DS-1st DIUI with 50 mg cloimd
TTC#2 since Jan 2 2007

Super Ovulation booked for March 10th BFP here we come!
IUI March 28 Beta April 12 - 10 please stick little one!
Beta April 14 -11 it's over good bye my angel I will meet you one day!

DIUI Sept 6/11 with Clomid and HCG sadly another Chemical
2 Angels waiting in Heaven
Moving on to Adoption 100%
Officially on the wait list - Nov14/11

http://lifeafterfertilitytreatments.blogspot.com/
http://ecofamilylife.blogspot.com/

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

#4 tabby

tabby
  • Cyclebase
  • 1336 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:38 AM

Don't forget to cc: your MLA as well.

If you look at Mollygirl's blog, she has some letters she wrote to government in Nova Scotia. they are very good and she has been getting some media attention.

Signed, Not in Saskatchewan, but on board that this is a great thing to do.
me: 41 dh:47
ttc from Sept 06
dx: endometriosis

Six clomid cycles including
two IUIs led to one pregnancy
that ended in m/c
IVF #1 in Jan/Feb 09 BFN
8 frosties

FET May 7, 09 BFP!!!
First u/s June 9 at 7w1d: a healthy singleton with a hb of 137bpm
August 20 (four months pg): It's a boy!
DS born February 4, 2010

#5 Mrs. H

Mrs. H
  • Global 100+
  • 667 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:10 PM

Tabby: Thank you so much for your support, regardless of your location. This may be something you should also think about doing where you are located. Also, thanks for the great info. about Molly's blog. I'll be sure to check it out to see if there is any other good ideas that I have left out.

Amanda: The Minister of Health for Saskatchewan is who I was told to write to. I know they are up to they're ears in H1N1 issues right now, but I believe that if we get enough people on board that we will truly be able to make a change. Thank you for your support.

Mollygirl: It's nice to see somebody who feels as strongly about this as I do. I hope that you see changes as soon as we do. And you're absolutely right, the only way family could be of any more help would be to pay for it for us or to give us some guarantees when we start this process. Thank you for your comments, it means alot to me. I will be checking out your blog!

Until I became one of the unfortunate couples that can not conceive on their own, it was something that had never crossed my mind. When you hear of another couples struggle you feel for them but you do not truly understand their battle until you have been there yourself. This amazing website is filled with so many amazing people who are struggling and it's so hard to believe that this is only a fraction of those people. I strongly believe that if we stick together we will be the people who will make a change. The people who will make the infertility journey so much easier on couples in the future.
TTC #1
IVF #1 - June 2009
BFN - chemical
FET #1 - September 2009
BFN - chemical
FET # 2 - November 2009
BFP!!

TTC#2
IVF #2 - September 2011
SET September 11th
BFP!!

#6 Mrs. H

Mrs. H
  • Global 100+
  • 667 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:48 AM

For those who are interested:
In the Cycle Buddies forum there is a thread called Allow IVF Funding in Canada. The first post has a petition to sign about supporting funding in Canada. This could be the beginning of some changes, please take the few minutes it would to sign the petition.
Thank you.
TTC #1
IVF #1 - June 2009
BFN - chemical
FET #1 - September 2009
BFN - chemical
FET # 2 - November 2009
BFP!!

TTC#2
IVF #2 - September 2011
SET September 11th
BFP!!

#7 Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth
  • Global 100+
  • 200 posts
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:54 AM

Hi!

Where do you send the letter to?

Thanks!
Me - 28 DH - 34
Me - PCOS
DH - CBAVD
We have an adorbale Golden Doodle named Cooper that we love more than anything!
IVF/ICSI#1 - ER - February 7/11
ET - February 12/11
8 wk U/S - 2 perfect Heartbeats! 176 bpm and 167 bpm

Delivered on August 25, 2011 at 30 weeks, after 11 weeks in the hospital on bedrest.
We now have a beautiful DD and a precious angel DS who left us shortly after he was born...

#8 Mrs. H

Mrs. H
  • Global 100+
  • 667 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:38 AM

Hey Erin,
Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply to your post until now. Our MP in our area told us to send the letters to the Minister of Health in Regina. I no longer have the address but to get it I phoned the number on the back of my health card and asked for an address that I could send it to. Thank you for taking the time to send a letter. Have you got a chance to sign the petition?
Thanks again! :)
TTC #1
IVF #1 - June 2009
BFN - chemical
FET #1 - September 2009
BFN - chemical
FET # 2 - November 2009
BFP!!

TTC#2
IVF #2 - September 2011
SET September 11th
BFP!!