Just Started - End of May Retrieval Anyone? - IVF/FET/IUI Cycle Buddies - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Just Started - End of May Retrieval Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:01 PM

Hello everyone, I am new to this whole IVF thing. :(

Very nervous. Just started Suprefact and the injections aren't as bad as I thought they would be. Although my nurse did show me the needle for the progesterone injections and it doesn't look like fun at all :ouch:

Not looking forward to the wait, but hoping that I will get a couple of you that are on the same timeline as I am and we can go through it together. I have read some of the posts and you all seem so nice to one another and seem like a great help! :grouphug2:

Wishing all of you out there happy waiting and good luck :eggchick:

Mel

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:32 AM

Hi

I'm just a little bit ahead of you, I go for my first ultrasound on Sunday and start my Puregon injections.

Good luck with everything.

What clinic are you at?

Steph

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:11 AM

I am with the Lifequest clinic in Toronto. How are things going for you?

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:25 AM

Things are going ok. AF showed up 1 week late because of the Suprefact so that's pushed everything behind at bit :( but at least it's still going forward.

When did you start the injections?

Steph

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:48 AM

I started last Friday. AF just showed up today, but I don't think that changes anything for me. I am fairly certain that they said not to bother calling the clinic - I will have to check the reading material again. I am so afraid of missing a step! There is so much to remember.

Sorry to hear that things are pushed back for you, but you are right, it could be worse, they could have cancelled the cycle :angry:

I start the Puregon in another week. How did you find everything your first go around? I am so glad that it worked for you the first time, gives me hope. :pray:

Take care, talk soon.

Mel

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:45 PM

Mel,

We had taken a year off because we had 5 failed IUI's and we were on an emotional roller coaster.

The 1st IVF went ok but a few hiccups and with only mild hyperstimulation. The retrieval went fine, no problems there and they actually retrieved 16 eggs from the 11 follicles they tracked. :P

The transfer was bad for us. The dr. couldn't get the tube into my uterus, my cervix is badly tilted and they couldn't find the right angle. They had to stop mid-insemination and get a different type and then it worked. To say the least, I was so overwhelmed, all I did was cry. :tears:

Two weeks later with no af symptoms but lots of bloating, it was positive.

Now IVF #2, starts off later, I'm hoping it's a good sign. From the way it looks, the retrieval and transfer end up on the same days (except in may and not august like before) as IVF #1.

I hope everything goes great for you. Do you mind me asking, what are your reasons for going through IVF?

Steph

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:12 PM

I hope things go better this time for you - although its hard to ask for that since I can't imagine anything better than a BFP!! :banana:

Seriously though, that had to be pretty hard for you.

I have PCOS, blocked tube. I used to only get AF a few times a year - now I feel like I have it all the time :angry:

Oh well, if it gets us a child, it will be worth it

So when is your retrieval scheduled for? Mine is the week of May 23rd. Feels like it will never come - I have to figure out how to get there because I cannot concentrate on work at all and I think I will be fired by the time this is over!!! :oops:

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:26 PM

You have the right frame of mind, it doesn't matter what you have to go through, it's all worth it no matter what.

When you go through the retrieval, at the clinic we go to, I only get a sedative so you still feel them poking at your ovaries. It's just like labour, you remember what you went through but you don't mind going through it for the end result.

My husband and I always said we would never do IVF and now we are trying it for a 2nd time. :P

It's hard to concentrate at work and it's all you think about for a while. Just wait till you get that BFP, all you do is check out how the baby is growing. :laugh:

Retrieval is for May 20th (obviously not set in stone) and transfer on the 23rd, just a few days ahead of you.

Here's to lots of growing follicles.... :eggchick:

Steph

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:00 AM

Wow, at my clinic we get a sleeping pill, laughing gas and morphine. :blink: That really doesn't make me look forward to it at all! I have told my dh that he is going to have to pay attention because I am really sensitive to sleeping pills so likely I will be asleep and not know what happened. :zz:

I go on Friday for my first bw and ultrasound then on Saturday I start puregon. I honestly don't know how I am going to get through the next 5 weeks. Especially since I quit smoking for this whole thing and I think now is when I need it the most!!! I just have to keep thinking that I can't give in, if I do and if it doesn't work, I will always wonder if it was my fault.

Anyway, I should probably try to get some work done today. Take care,

Mel

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:30 PM

Hi Mel

I just had my b/w and u/s this morning and I'm starting Puregon tonight.

Good luck and keep me posted how everything is going.

Steph

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:17 PM

:wavey: Hi Melissa,

It looks like our cycles are close together. I started Buserelin on April 29.

This Thursday I will have my first u/s and hopefully get the ok to start Gonal f.

I was so nervous to start. I kept questioning our decision to do ivf. I am feeling better about it now and realize that I have to just take one step at a time and not to become overwhelmed with it all.

Take care and best of luck to you.

Keep in touch,
Karen

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:38 PM

Hey Karen,

I know what you mean. I was so upset about not being able to concieve the way everyone else seems to be able to. It doesn't seem right to have a doctor running in between you and your husband, partner, whatever. At this point though, I will take whatever I can get. I think in the end, it really doesn't matter how the baby was conceived. Even if this doesn't work and we end up adopting, I know in the end I will be glad it worked out the way it did, no matter how hard in the meantime. :icon_cry:

That said, I still keep hoping that I will be one of the success stories in this site. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Everytime I see someone get their positive results I think I am just as happy for them as I would be for myself - really gives me hope.

I go on Friday for my u/s and bw. Then I start puregon on Saturday. Your protocol seems very different from mine, but then again, you seem to have different issues than I do. I have PCOS and a blocked tube.

Keep me posted on how you are doing. I think my retrieval is going to be the week of May 23rd - provided all works out.

Take care and good luck!! :eggchick:

Mel

#13 Marty

Marty
  • 1000+
  • 614 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:33 PM

Hi Melissa,

I go for my b/w and u/s this Friday as well and should be starting my injections on may 15th. I will be on lupron, gonal-f and repronex. I have been being suppressed for the past two months on depo lupron (intramuscular injection given once a month). My retrieval is set for May 27th with transfer on the 30th (if all goes well with stimulation). Sounds like we are on a similar time line. Marty
Put IVF behind us after five cycles.....
adopted domestically! Baby girl - born on November 4, 2006

Pregnant naturally.....Baby boy born on January 19, 2009

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:11 AM

Hey Marty, :wavey:

What clinic are you with? How are the intramuscular injections? I have to do that with poi in a few weeks and I am just dreading it. :ouch:

I am so nervous, I am having such a hard time concentrating on work. I just wish I could take the next five weeks off and sleep :zz: right through the wait!

Anyway, I should go and actually get some work done today.

Take care,

Mel

#15 Marty

Marty
  • 1000+
  • 614 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:08 AM

Hi Melissa,

My doctor gives me the intramuscular injection...they are not bad...your butt is tender for a while though :ouch: The depo lupron causes your body to go into a menopause-like state by lowering the estrogen levels. I get hot flashes and feel tired all the time. I'm sure it affects my mood as well but will never admit to that! (my hubby might beg to differ! :rofl: ) Only 3 more sleeps before our check-up! :banana: The waiting and anticipating is so hard but thank goodness we have this board to come to for support. Marty

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:40 AM

This board is quickly becoming my life saver (my boss may beg to differ! :rofl: )

At least you only had to do the injections once a month, mine coming up are every day - I think my hubby is looking a little too forward to it for my liking - maybe the enthusiam has to do with the mood swings he sees that I don't!! :rofl: :rofl:

I am glad you said something about being tired because my hubby was starting to make me think it was all in my head! :think: I am on Suprefact and I find that I am a lot more tired than normal. Its like winter-time tired where all you want to do is come home from work and go to bed rather than spring which is when I stay up late and even want to do things at night rather than just veg out and wind down from my day (hopefully that makes sense). I was dreading the hot flashes, but so far so good (knock on wood). I seem to be running a little warmer than normal, but since I am usually cold, I am really liking not freezing!! :beach:

Anyway, must stop procrastinating and get some work done.

Take care,
Mel :wavey:

#17 Marty

Marty
  • 1000+
  • 614 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:56 AM

Hi Mel,

The stimulation injections that I will start on the 15th aren't into the muscle...just under the skin. I have endometriosis so this is why I had the IM shots into my butt...those are the ones that will give you hot flashes. I do not think that you will get hot flashes on your drugs. Take care, Marty

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:59 AM

Mel,

We had taken a year off because we had 5 failed IUI's and we were on an emotional roller coaster.

The 1st IVF went ok but a few hiccups and with only mild hyperstimulation.  The retrieval went fine, no problems there and they actually retrieved 16 eggs from the 11 follicles they tracked. :P

The transfer was bad for us.  The dr. couldn't get the tube into my uterus, my cervix is badly tilted and they couldn't find the right angle.  They had to stop mid-insemination and get a different type and then it worked.  To say the least, I was so overwhelmed, all I did was cry.  :tears:

Two weeks later with no af symptoms but lots of bloating, it was positive.

Now IVF #2, starts off later, I'm hoping it's a good sign.  From the way it looks, the retrieval and transfer end up on the same days (except in may and not august like before) as IVF #1.

I hope everything goes great  for you.  Do you mind me asking, what are your reasons for going through IVF?

Steph

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Sbrush,

hey, what Clinic are you at? I too have a tilted uterus with a sharp bend. I am at Lifequest in Toronto and have requested a mock transfer to be done to me since I have a feeling that getting the tube into my uterus would be cumbersome. The situation you described only validates my feelings.

Take care and GOOD LUCK!!

Sadie

#19 marley

marley
  • 1000+
  • 611 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:39 PM

Hey ladies,

Thought I'd join you :) . It looks like we're all cycling around the same time...I'm scheduled for a retrieval the week of May 30th a Lifequest in Toronto. I'm on the BCP right now (Antagonist protocol - so only 11 days of injections) and have an ultrasound tomorrow. I start stims (Puregon and Repronex) on May 21st and add Orgalutran on May 26th. I'm having an endometrial biopsy done on May 27th...just before retrieval.

Good luck everyone. I hope everything goes well for all of us! :)
Posted Image
Twin Girls born Feb/07

#20 Guest_tmdigugt_*

Guest_tmdigugt_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:05 PM

Hello Melissa, Marty and Karen,

I too am very new to the whole IVF process. I am on my fouth day of Puregon injections (I started on May 6th). I am unsure of how I ma supposed to be feeling. I do not know if bloating is normal with Puregon at day 4. I am really afraid of OHSS!

I am with the Montreal Fertlity Clinic and I am really hoping that my first try is the only one!

I have been reading the many posts and it encourages me to see that many other women are going through the same things as me.

Hope to hear from you soon! Hope all is going well with you!

Maria. :icon_wink:

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:22 PM

Hey everyone :wavey:

I am so happy to have company! I guess that's pretty selfish of me - I should be hoping that no one else has to go through this. :blush:

Marley - who is your doctor at lifequest? I am with Dr Cadesky.

Maria - welcome! I start my puregon on Saturday so I will let you know if I have any side effects. They say drink lots of water to help with bloating - the only thing is you end up trading feeling huge for spending the majority of your day in the bathroom :blink:

Marty - they actually did warn me about the whole menopause thing for suprefact, I can't believe that to top off all we are going through, we have to have this too. That sucks about the endo :ouch: I have heard it makes AF really nasty. :mf_swordfight: A friend of mine thought she may have it, and I thought I remembered her saying that they could fix it surgically - is that right?

I have a question for whoever can answer - I was told to continue the suprefact (suppression) while I am on the puregon (stim)???? Is that just me or is anyone else doing that too? I am going to ask my nurse next time I see her but it seems a little off to me. :icon_question:

Sadie, Steph and Karen - hope you are all doing well.

Take care,
Mel

#22 marley

marley
  • 1000+
  • 611 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:43 PM

Melissa -- You're right...you do continue the Suprefact while you start stims. My protocol is different than yours...but, that's my understanding. :) I'm with Dr. Hannam at Lifequest.
Posted Image
Twin Girls born Feb/07

#23 Marty

Marty
  • 1000+
  • 614 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:45 PM

Hi Everybody!

Melissa- you follow the protocol they gave you.....I will be taking lupron (suppressor) at the same time as my stimulating drugs. I guess this way they can "tweek" things up or down if necessary once they get your estradiol levels back from the lab. I had laprascopic surgery in the fall but my doctor could not do anything. I have so many adhesions that my organs are kind of "stuck" to each other. He said he tried using the laser to burn some of the tissue away but I started to bleed. I'm hoping the acupuncture helps this time. The embryologist seems to think that it is the endo that caused my poor embryo quality my last time. My doctor thinks it was the drug protocol. :icon_question:

Hey Marley- I will be taking Repronex and gonal-f. I never got to use my Repronex my first time because my estrogen levels were rising to quickly. You can imagine how I felt thinking that I had spent $500 on a drug that I didn't get to use? My doctor said "hang onto it".....now I know why. :( I sure hope it works this time around. If not I will have to take a break both mentally and financially and figure out what our next step will be.

Sadie- I have the same "style" of uterus as you do! Tilted forward and a tight bend. Just so you know a mock embryo transfer does not mean that everything will go smoothly during your actual transfer.....when you do the mock your ovaries are not as huge as they will be on the day of the transfer. My left ovary was pushing my uterus forward and it took almost 45 mins before the transfer was done. My mock transfer took 10 mins. :bang: So many unpredictable things can happen so try to not stress about things beforehand. :beach:

Hi to everyone else.....I'm running off to an acupuncture appointment. :wavey: Marty

#24 Guest_tmdigugt_*

Guest_tmdigugt_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:48 PM

Hello Melissa,

Thanks for the advice!

When taking the first set of injections (suprefact) alone, I was taking a higher dose. Now that I am injecting Puregon, I am still on the suprefact, but at a lower dose.

On suprefact alone, I had the pleasure of experiencing hot flashes, dry mouth and skin as well as night sweats. With the Puregon, I am no longer experiencing this, it has been replaced by bloating! However, the symtoms are not too bad! I told myself that I had a practice run for a few years down the road!

I am scheduled for my day-6 appointment tomorrow to see how many follicules are growing. I really hope that I have a ton!

Maria. :icon_wink:

#25 marley

marley
  • 1000+
  • 611 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:57 PM

Hey everyone :)

Marty -- I'm on Repronex and Puregon. I'm so glad you're able to use your Repronex from last time. I picked up my meds last week-end and it came out to $3,000. Thank God, my work benefits paid for everything. So far...they tell me that I don't have a cap on what I can claim "within a reasonable amount"...but, I'm sure they'll come up with a cap if I claim much more.

Sadie - I have a tilted uterus as well. I think it's really common and they should be able to get a good idea during your SHG if they'll have a hard time during transfer. I'm sure if your RE thinks you need one...they will book one for you.

Hope everyone's doing well!
Posted Image
Twin Girls born Feb/07