8 replies to this topic

#1 desparate

desparate
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:20 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I would like to get some info regarding private health insurance that covers IVF in Canada. I'm in Ontario and had my monitoring, IUI and one IVF last year and beginning of this year and nothing worked out. I want to do one more IVF but I'm financially broken after the 1st one. Me and my husband both work and we both have our employer health insurance plan but that's a normal plan doesn't cover IVF related expenses. So we paid out of our pocket for the 1st oen. I know some insurance companies do cover these expenses which I heard from some of my friends. I would like to know if anyone knows any insurance companies and their plans that covers IVF; so that I can join their plan before starting my next IVF.
If someone can tell me the issues related with joining a health plan just for it such as when should I begin the plan before doing the treatment, How much is covered if anyone is using such plan, Is it possible to cancel it say after one year or so because like I said we both have our employer plan so that we can go back after the treatment or is there's a contract committment? I know these questions should be directed to the insurance company but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these? I don't know if I can specifically say that I want to join their plan for IVF to a health insurance company?

I hope someone can pour some light into it.

Good luck to everyone :)
Desparate...

#2 bridgeypie

bridgeypie
  • 1000+
  • 2,194 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Ottawa ON

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:30 AM

Desperate - unfortunately I dont believe such an insurance exists in Canada - otherwise we'd all be part of it hehe!

I hope someone can prove me wrong and offer you up some hope - but I dont think insurance coverage in canada will cover any costs associated with the procedure.

The meds on the other hand, many insurances will cover it. I'm with sunlife and they do cover IVF meds!
Me 25...DH 30....DS 3 ( concieved naturally born dec/05 )
IVF #1 - ER(07/04/08) 6 follies, 1 egg, 3dt of 4 cell grade 3.5 embie = BFN 07/19/09......DISASTER
IVF #2 - ER (09/25/08) 13 follies, 8 eggs 100% fertilization, 5dt 2 cavitating morulas = BFN 10/06/08......Getting Better
IVF #3 - ER (03/01/09) 7 follies, 5 egss, 4 fertilized, transfered 3 embryos 9 cell 3.0, 8 cell 2.5 and 7 cell 2.5 = BFP
Early Beta -13dp3dt 500 Second Beta - 15dp3dt 1649 Third beta -21dp3dt 12,300

G/G/B triplets!!!!

Babies born on due date Oct 14th
Baby A - Alanna Chelsea 5lbs 6oz
Baby B - Benjamin Albert 5lbs
Baby C - Lauren Summer 5lbs

Visit my blog: http://4under4.wordpress.com/

#3 mollygirl21

mollygirl21
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,513 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:55 AM

Some plans cover a portion of IVF meds (or if you're lucky like Bridgepie, all of it) and some plans cover diagnositic imaging and lab work. That could cover some of your IVF fee. Our clinic broke down their fee into the different categories and we were able to get out insurance to cover $1000 toward diagnostic imaging (u/s) and labwork (bloodtests at the clinic). It wasn't a lot but every little bit helps.

If you pose the question to them "do you cover IVF", they will say no. But if you ask if they cover specific tests, they may give you a different answer.

Good luck, I hope you find some coverage.

Keep in mind that you can claim medical expenses on your income tax. You should get back about 25%. Keep all receipts and keep track of your appointments if you live more than 40 kms from the clinic because you can claim travel expenses too. We have $17,000 in expenses so far and we expect to get back about $4000 of it. You can add all your medical expenses for the entire family to your IVF expenses to bump it up. You can even claim your health insurance premiums.

Most people don't know about the medical expenses they can claim because it has to be a certain percentage of your income before you qualify and in a normal year, most families wouldn't hit the minimum. But with IVF, you hit the minimum no problem and then you can claim everything - dental appts, eyeglasses, all perscriptions, travel to medical appts more than 40 kms away, etc.

For travel expenses, there are two ways to claim. You can save all receipts and record mileage, etc or you can do the simple way and just claim $17 for each trip. Depending on how far you travel, you may want to do that. We live 42 kms away so we are just claiming the $17 per trip. Easy, no receipts to save for parking and gas.

I hope you find some medical coverage. If not, find a good accountant to help with your taxes this year.

MG
After 3+ years, my cycle history is quite long. For details on each cycle, please visit my "About Me" page

Trying since fall 2007
All tests show normal (we're "unexplained")

COH+IUI in Nov 08 = BFN
IVF # 1 Feb 09 - BFN
IVF #2 June 2009 - BFP
13 week u/s showed a missed m/c. Baby stopped developing around 8 weeks. Damn.

Moving on to adoption :)
March 22, 2010 - finished PRIDE classes
waiting to begin homestudy sometime in the next two years. That's not a typo - TWO YEARS
Feb 2012 - got a call that they are ready to start our home study...putting off all adoption decisions for at least 6 months because I am 2 weeks from my due date (see below)

Feb 2011 - we've been offered donor embryos! FET in a few months after preliminary tests are done...
FET June 2011:
May 7 - start suprefact and low dose aspirin (on CD21)
May 14 - AF started - super heavy and I'm super cranky. Headaches from the suprefact too
May 21 - starting Estrace and both of us start antibiotics
June 3 - u/s to check lining
June 8 - FET
June 21 - Beta is 564. June 24 Beta is 2286
July 12 - first u/s at 7w1d
Aug 18 - second u/s at 12w4d - everything looks great
Aug 30 - first prenatal appt
Oct 6 - 20w anatomy scan, could find out the sex!
It's a BOY!!
EDD is Feb 26, 2012
beautiful healthy baby boy born March 1, 2012 <3

My friend ButterflyKiss provided this quote from Laura Bush's book and I think it captures how many of us feel:"The English language lacks the words to mourn an absence... for someone who was never there at all, we are wordless to capture that particular emptiness. For those who deeply want children and are denied them, those missing babies hover like silent, ephemeral shadows over their lives. Who can describe the feel of a tiny hand that is never held?"

#4 Haligobabies

Haligobabies
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:00 AM

I'm with Great West Life and they are covering 100% of infertility medications (for a 6-month 1-time duration), but nothing as far as the procedures go. Different insurance companies have different groups and plan types, so not all plans with GWL would cover the same things.

I hope you find an insurance company to help! All the best to you.

We have been trying since 2006
. 1st IVF with ICSI in September/October 09.
. 8-week ultrasound Nov 26, 2009- It's twins!

Posted Image

#5 bridgeypie

bridgeypie
  • 1000+
  • 2,194 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Ottawa ON

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:05 AM

molly girl is right - save ALLLLL your recipts and tax season actually becomes fun!! :)
Me 25...DH 30....DS 3 ( concieved naturally born dec/05 )
IVF #1 - ER(07/04/08) 6 follies, 1 egg, 3dt of 4 cell grade 3.5 embie = BFN 07/19/09......DISASTER
IVF #2 - ER (09/25/08) 13 follies, 8 eggs 100% fertilization, 5dt 2 cavitating morulas = BFN 10/06/08......Getting Better
IVF #3 - ER (03/01/09) 7 follies, 5 egss, 4 fertilized, transfered 3 embryos 9 cell 3.0, 8 cell 2.5 and 7 cell 2.5 = BFP
Early Beta -13dp3dt 500 Second Beta - 15dp3dt 1649 Third beta -21dp3dt 12,300

G/G/B triplets!!!!

Babies born on due date Oct 14th
Baby A - Alanna Chelsea 5lbs 6oz
Baby B - Benjamin Albert 5lbs
Baby C - Lauren Summer 5lbs

Visit my blog: http://4under4.wordpress.com/

#6 Rufus

Rufus
  • Global 100+
  • 389 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:34 AM

My former insurance plan paid for 80% of drug costs to a lifetime max of $15,000, which was pretty awesome considering I didn't even pay premiums for it (employer paid it all). I am not aware of any insurance that funds the actual IVF procedure but as someone else pointed out, you could see if lab costs etc are covered. The clinic should provide you with a breakdown of costs that you could then investigate. The only problem I would foresee is that since you have already done IVF, that is a pre-existing condition and insurance companies are generally reluctant to insure this.

There is a company called Medicard (www.medicard.com) which can be used for financing or check with your bank/credit union.
Me: 44 DH: 48
After 3 fresh cycles and 1 FET:
Beautiful Baby Girl arrived January 10, 2010

Final FET: late February 2012
Started estrace Feb 8
Lining check: Feb 21...need a few more days
Feb 23...need 5 more days!
Feb 28 - good to go!!

Embryo transfer: March 4 "a perfect transfer" of 2 blasts (1 survived thaw with 100% of cells intact, 1 with 50% of cells intact)

Beta: March 17 - negative

#7 RainbowsPromise

RainbowsPromise
  • Global 100+
  • 683 posts
  • My Clinic:Christian Adoption Services, Calgary

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:11 PM

It really depends on what plan your employer has purchased... we too are on SunLife but it only pays for the non-hormonal medications like Suprefact. They won't pay anything on the Gonal-F and won't cover anything else. Like other posters have said, I don't think there are any plans in Canada that pay for IVF. For those whose companies do cover it, consider yourself lucky. Definitely keep track of your expenses for taxes... at least you'll get that out of it!
Me 42 DH 44 Married since 2005 and have been TTC the whole time.One adoption revocation through the AB govt (son taken back by birth family after 6 days)Multiple failed clomid cyclesMultiple failed home IUI cycles.Two failed IVF cycles (didn't get to retrieval).Pursuit of donor embryos through direct donation.FET with direct donor embryos in Nov 2010 resulted in a BFP!Jan 2011- both empty sacs and m/c has begun. June 2011- Second donor embryo cycle (anonymous donor). BFN.Oct 2011- Third donor embryo cycle (anonymous donor). BFN.Nov 2011- Pursuing private adoption through Christian Adoption Services.May 2012- Officially on the waiting list for CAS.See "About Me" page for specifics on our journey and continued updates.Believing that God WILL answer our prayers for children! He is the one who placed the desire for children in our hearts so we trust that it will happen.... in His time. The message that keeps coming is from Psalm 37:7 "Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him". December 2013- God has answered our prayers in a way we truly didn't think was possible- we brought home a little boy and survived the 10-day waiting period, lol. To Him be the glory- the testimony of this little one is amazing!

#8 jennykash

jennykash

Jenn

• Cyclebase
  • 542 posts
  • Interests:Everything outside, camping, fishing, reading, Oldies music, my DH
  • Dx:Other

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:09 PM

Rufus: interesting link to the medicard site, I was not aware of this! Have you used this company and do you know what their "competitive interest rates" are? We are debating heading to the bank, but I'm always interested in comparing cheaper rates...

AFM, my insurance coverage through Manitoba Blue Cross (even though I live in Ontario, lol) covers 100% up to $15000 of drugs. DH's plan covers 80% of fertility drugs with no lifetime max. Strange tho, because my plan DID not cover the progesterone suppositories but DH's did. We are also "sort of" able to claim the northern ontario travel grant, which gives us $250/trip to the clinic (because of the 3 hour drive), BUT I have submitted 10 claims and 4 have been denied while 6 have been approved. Not sure how that works, but I'll take whatever I can get. :) That is a great idea to try to break down the clinic costs to see what insurance will cover, never thought of that idea either! Smart ladies.

Oh, quick question. If we're getting the travel grant, does that mean we're NOT eligible to claim travel on income tax? probably, right? But we should still be able to claim for the denied trips and meals? I'll definitely have to get ann expert to do our taxes this year...
TTC 11 years
Male Factor/Endometriosis/Multiple Sclerosis

4IUI's: BFN
3 IVF's: BFN
14 FET's: BFN

#9 colsxjack

colsxjack
  • 27 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:First Steps

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:46 PM

We are with SunLife in Ontario. They covered 100% of the medications needed for IUI's and IVF.
They did not cover lab costs or ultrasounds, but these were covered by our provincial health plan. The rest (ie: 4 sperm washes and inseminations, IVF procedure, ICSI, freezing and FET) was covered out of pocket and then just claimed on our taxes.

Good Luck.
DW 29 - PCOS
Me 35 - Spermless
trying to conceive with donor sperm for 1 yr.

10/07-04/08 -- 4 IUI's 3 with clomid and 1 with injectables all BFN

07/26/08 -- IVF#1
22 eggs, 20 fertilized, 10 made it to blast
transferred 1 and froze 9 -- BFN

10/06/08 -- FET 2 blasts
10/19/08 -- HPT BFP
10/20/08 -- Beta #1 = 497
10/23/08 -- Beta #2 = 1152
10/26/08 -- Beta #3 = 4707
10/29/08 -- Beta #4 = 11582
11/03/08 -- U/S #1 = praying for 1 good heartbeat.
Great heartbeat, great size, great everything
12/02/08 -- 1st appointment with midwife
midwife is great
12/08/08 -- 2nd ultrasound -- everything looks good hrtbeat 172
01/30/09 -- anatomy scan
great anatomy
06/24/09 -- baby due
July 10, 2009 - healthy 9lb 6oz 21inch baby girl born...2w2days past due