- - - - -

Question about cycle dates/flexibility

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:36 PM

I have been on Lupron since May 15th and my GS has been on Lupron since May 9th (her Day1). She is supposed to start Estrace on Saturday to start preparing her lining, and I have my supression check blood and ultrasound on Friday May 30th.

On my protocol it says I would start stims June 2nd if I am supressed on the 30th. My estimated retreival date is June 12th (which I know can fluctuate slightly) with a tentative transfer date of the 15th (3d) or 17th (5d)

So today I get a call from work. A promotion I wanted has been offered to me BUT I would need to be in Calgary for training on the 16th. I refuse to leave my GS out in Ontario for transfer alone obviously and this cycle is extremely important to us.

My question is this... if I am supressed on the 30th why do they wait until the 2nd to start stims?? Is it possible to start them early by a day or two in hopes that I could be home in time for training for this new position?? Would my GS have to start her Estrace a day or two early?

I tried to call our clinic but got no answer (as usual *pout*) and left a message saying it was fairly urgent, please call me back but while I wait I thought I would ask.

Don't get me wrong, this cycle is more important then a promotion...and I am trying to think positively in hopes that it is successful and I am on maternity leave in about 10 months time anyway, BUT I also can't put my life on hold for infertility treatments and have to think about the "what if's" too right? What if it doesn't work? Then this promotion would be a very important one.

As it stands right now we can only afford one attempt at this... but if I get this promotion it may allow us to be able to try again in the new year if by chance it doesn't work *fingers corssed it will though*

Basically I need to be in two places at once and am wondering if there is anyway to move things up if only by a day or two to try and make both work??

UGH I wish the clinic would call back.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:22 AM

You are correct in assuming that your stimulation start date is somewhat arbitrary. In fact, they're probably starting you on the 2nd so as to avoid a weekend egg retrieval. That is our general practice as well because we have a skeleton staff on the weekends. In spite of our best plans, though, we still do the occasional retrieval on the weekend.

Given your situation, it may be that they could manipulate your cycle so that you could meet your work needs. It's certainly worth talking to them about it and there should be enough time for that to happen. If you have been on lupron since the 15th, it's very likely your pituitary is already suppressed. In our practice, we start lupron about 5 days prior to stopping the birth control pill. Most patients have a menses about three days after stopping the pill and we usually see them the following day for a baseline ultrasound and estradiol (to see if they are suppressed). In that period of time (approximately 10 days on lupron), it is unusual to see someone who is not suppressed.

Take care,
Dr. G

I have been on Lupron since May 15th and my GS has been on Lupron since May 9th (her Day1). She is supposed to start Estrace on Saturday to start preparing her lining, and I have my supression check blood and ultrasound on Friday May 30th.

On my protocol it says I would start stims June 2nd if I am supressed on the 30th. My estimated retreival date is June 12th (which I know can fluctuate slightly) with a tentative transfer date of the 15th (3d) or 17th (5d)

So today I get a call from work. A promotion I wanted has been offered to me BUT I would need to be in Calgary for training on the 16th. I refuse to leave my GS out in Ontario for transfer alone obviously and this cycle is extremely important to us.

My question is this... if I am supressed on the 30th why do they wait until the 2nd to start stims?? Is it possible to start them early by a day or two in hopes that I could be home in time for training for this new position?? Would my GS have to start her Estrace a day or two early?

I tried to call our clinic but got no answer (as usual *pout*) and left a message saying it was fairly urgent, please call me back but while I wait I thought I would ask.

Don't get me wrong, this cycle is more important then a promotion...and I am trying to think positively in hopes that it is successful and I am on maternity leave in about 10 months time anyway, BUT I also can't put my life on hold for infertility treatments and have to think about the "what if's" too right? What if it doesn't work? Then this promotion would be a very important one.

As it stands right now we can only afford one attempt at this... but if I get this promotion it may allow us to be able to try again in the new year if by chance it doesn't work *fingers corssed it will though*

Basically I need to be in two places at once and am wondering if there is anyway to move things up if only by a day or two to try and make both work??

UGH I wish the clinic would call back.